SL4 or Sixty-Eight?

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: SL4 or Sixty-Eight?Reply
SL4 or Sixty-Eight?
Posted on: 08.03.2012 by Althea Pichoff
looking for some input. the difference in price is a huge factor (plus i have the denon hc-1000 and a working mixer, albeit behringer, already). the biggest reason i'm looking at the two are because i want the two usb connections. the sl4 would satisfy that piece of it for a lot cheaper. what i'm wondering is if the feature set you gain is worth it, specifically the recording of sets.

i've read a lot of reviews on the sixty-eight, but i'm wondering if anyone else has had to make this decision. is the 68 worth $1500 more than the sl4?
Sharri Kenimer
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
A Komplete Audio 6 or Traktor 6 (or any USB sound card with at least 2 in and outs) in the $2-300 range will do exactly that with the S/R loop on any other mixer.
Won't work post fader, now will it?
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by dj_mosquito
i had forgotten about the vst effect piece. while i'm not a fan of a lot of the stock fx from ableton, i can purchase additional vst effects that i do like.

i'm still really torn, but it seems like for me the 68 is likely the way to go. the only thing i'm wondering is if i'm using the 68 can i run 4 decks with only 2 decks plugged in (same would be true of the sl4).
Just a heads up, the VST thing that the Sixty Eight does is just a USB S/R, not some magic DAW integration. A Komplete Audio 6 or Traktor 6 (or any USB sound card with at least 2 in and outs) in the $2-300 range will do exactly that with the S/R loop on any other mixer. The advantage is USB vs wiring, but you also gain a discrete master record input alongside it.
Sharri Kenimer
Originally Posted by mostapha
You can. They're just in internal mode.
If you only have room for 2 physical decks,
you can run rca splitters to either SL4 or the Sixty Eight,
then switch back and forth relative/internal for hands on control.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/audun_n...in/photostream

Also the 68 have 2 mic inputs, providing more flexibility for recording.
To really make up you mind, I recommend skimming through the Sixty Eight manual.
Its a quite long read, but when making an investment like the this, you probably wanna do your research.
Details about recording on page 40...
http://serato.com/downloads/files/67...2.3_Manual.pdf
Luke Motas
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
go with the 68 man, i started reading this expecting to say "go with the sl4" but from what youre saying it really sounds like the 68 is going to do what you need. its expensive but for the sort of production youre describing it sounds like the only thing an sl4 can offer you is 4 outputs.
sounds like the 68 might be better option for you. I own the SL4 and I am in the same boat about recording in SSL(The Bridge)/Mixtape/etc... infact I would love the 68 but not in my budget right now...
Sharri Kenimer
The Bridge mixtape function is so much more useful when running a Rane mixer....
Catherina Monay
Personally I would say get the SL4, with the extra money you can afford a newer mixed (already been stated) and even some controllers, for example you could invest in a Vestax PMC04 or something (they're great) and an APC40 and try out 'The Bridge' which is a great function to be used with Serato especially if you like more 'battle' DJing like scratching etc and live remix's.
Sharri Kenimer
Well, the second usb wire on the 68 wlil allow for midi to both laptops at once, IE map the dry/wet in Ableton for the secont laptop directly from the mixer. Also, any Software FX done directly in Traktor software will be pre fader.
Nancey Inderlied
Depends on the mixer. Most mixers I'm aware of with a genuine S/R loop are routed post fader.
Sharri Kenimer
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
A Komplete Audio 6 or Traktor 6 (or any USB sound card with at least 2 in and outs) in the $2-300 range will do exactly that with the S/R loop on any other mixer.
Won't work post fader, now will it?
Nancey Inderlied
i had forgotten about the vst effect piece. while i'm not a fan of a lot of the stock fx from ableton, i can purchase additional vst effects that i do like.

i'm still really torn, but it seems like for me the 68 is likely the way to go. the only thing i'm wondering is if i'm using the 68 can i run 4 decks with only 2 decks plugged in (same would be true of the sl4).
Just a heads up, the VST thing that the Sixty Eight does is just a USB S/R, not some magic DAW integration. A Komplete Audio 6 or Traktor 6 (or any USB sound card with at least 2 in and outs) in the $2-300 range will do exactly that with the S/R loop on any other mixer. The advantage is USB vs wiring, but you also gain a discrete master record input alongside it.
Sharri Kenimer
If you only have room for 2 physical decks,
you can run rca splitters to either SL4 or the Sixty Eight,
then switch back and forth relative/internal for hands on control.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/audun_n...in/photostream

Also the 68 have 2 mic inputs, providing more flexibility for recording.
To really make up you mind, I recommend skimming through the Sixty Eight manual.
Its a quite long read, but when making an investment like the this, you probably wanna do your research.
Details about recording on page 40...
http://serato.com/downloads/files/67...2.3_Manual.pdf
Luke Motas
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
go with the 68 man, i started reading this expecting to say "go with the sl4" but from what youre saying it really sounds like the 68 is going to do what you need. its expensive but for the sort of production youre describing it sounds like the only thing an sl4 can offer you is 4 outputs.
sounds like the 68 might be better option for you. I own the SL4 and I am in the same boat about recording in SSL(The Bridge)/Mixtape/etc... infact I would love the 68 but not in my budget right now...
Dorie Scelzo
I mean…if you actually want to do multi-tracking, you can get something "better". But, you'd need the SL3 or SL4 as well to run SSL.

The sixty-eight would work, but before you buy it, I'd look into mixers aimed at recording that have built-in audio interfaces. Mackie, A&H, Presonus, Yamaha, and a few other people all make them. Some of them are pretty cool…though they get expensive quick. That might end up working better than what you're planning on doing. It might also end up even more expensive.
Althea Pichoff
i came in believeing both could do what i needed, but now i'm also feeling like you in that the 68 is what i'm going to need in order to get the multi-tracking i require. time to start saving mad cash.

thanks for the feedback everyone! really appreciate it.
Rebbecca Fennell
Dorie Scelzo

And that recording thing makes sense. I don't know if I'd do it that way…I'd probably just get a bigger mixer and an audio interface (or a mixer with an audio interface). But I'm not sure if it would actually be better.
Althea Pichoff
a lot when we are in writing mode. its not unheard of for us to have 2 stereo pairs from guitar/bass/cello/violin, stereo mix off the dj mixer (which means ableton and serato are intermixed putting my loops, beats, and vocal samples all on the same mix), and it wouldn't be unheard of for me to use a synth. right now i end up using the aux send on the dj mixer to record ableton and scratch live on their own stereo pairs, but i'd still like to have each deck separate as well. the recorder we have only does 8 channels at a time, but if i had all the automation, etc i don't have to record more than the stereo pair. i just pull the tracks off the recorder and drop them into ableton using the stereo mix of me as reference to line it up.

Originally Posted by warpnote
- the ability to run FX from any VST directly into the mixer POST fader, before the 68, I don't believe any other dj mixer allowed for this, the 62 does support it though. -> http://rane.com/sixtyeightvstau.html
- recorded fader movement in the Bridge mixtape.

Dorie Scelzo
we run out of i/o pretty quickly when recording.
What are you recording?
Sharri Kenimer
Mosquito, I have both. I first got the 68 as an upgrade to my old pioneer DJM 600. The 68 is a wonderful mixer.
I later bought the SL4 aswell. Bringing the mixer to the club every weekend was getting a little tiresome.

Obviously the switchover / tag team features are the same on both products.

What I especially like about the 68 is:
- faster setup for mobile events, just run rca's from your players straight into the mixer, and the usb of course.
- the ability to run FX from any VST directly into the mixer POST fader, before the 68, I don't believe any other dj mixer allowed for this, the 62 does support it though. -> http://rane.com/sixtyeightvstau.html
- recorded fader movement in the Bridge mixtape.
- Ability to choose between Video SL, Inklen Mixemergency ME, or the new Serato Video, Once it is released.
- the FX system, although quite limited compared to Pioneer, you can "drum" FX instead of twising a knob, can be very effective.
- the loops, cues, track navigation on the mixer. (I also own Dicers, HC1000S, Kontrol X1, APC20, MPD24, Touch OSC)

My setup with the 68 is 2x technics 1210mk2 and 2x cdj1000mk3 -> http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=45450

So basically, it boils down to what you really need, or believe you might need down the road.
Althea Pichoff
Originally Posted by DJ SB
I can't believe of any I/O advantages the SL4 has over it.
the SL4 can work as a standalone audio interface from what i can tell. so if i wanted to multitrack something, i have the ability to do so.

But, why do you need to record fader automation with a DJ mixer? What's wrong with just performing a mix correctly and recording it?
we run out of i/o pretty quickly when recording. if i record the automation, i can get away with only recording 2 channels as reference and have the multi for mixing. there has also been multiple times where i would like to go in and tweak some spots. that's the part where i do agree with you: do it right the first time. however being able to see what i've just done while practicing helps give some visual cues to say "yeah buddy right here you fucked up bad." the best comparison i could make to that is being able to see the wave form in scratch live as compared to just putting vinyl down old school (without using any software).

but what do you mean in regards to the sl4 and 68 are marketed at different people? who specifically is he 68 marketed for that the sl4 isn't?
Dorie Scelzo
Why do you want to record fader automation?

That mixtape thing is one of the things that confuses me. the Ableton mix and what you're monitoring won't sound the same, because the faders and summing busses will be different, not to mention EQs……unless the 68 comes with plugin versions of itself…which would be weird.

But, why do you need to record fader automation with a DJ mixer? What's wrong with just performing a mix correctly and recording it?
Halley Wurzer
I'd get the 68. The reliability of having an integrated interface has been proven with the 57 and does the mixer honestly not have enough I/O flexibility? I can't believe of any I/O advantages the SL4 has over it.
Althea Pichoff
actually i'm pretty damn well torn on it. i use serato a lot in recording and i'd really like to have the fader automation recorded. i can't get that with the sl4 which is why i'm looking at the 68 (in addition to the 4 channels vs 2 that the sixty-two's have). however putting my audio interface inside the my mixer concerns me greatly, not to mention the sl4 seems to have more I/O flexibility.

that's why i start the thread, i'm really not sure which will fit my needs. i really need both the i/o flexibility that comes with the sl4 and the fader automation recorded. so far i haven't found anything in a dj mixer, or otherwise for that matter, that does that.
Dorie Scelzo
Do you actually want the Rane 68? Or would you rather get the SL4 and have over a grand to use to upgrade your mixer?

The two products aren't marketed at the same people.
Monroe Vandeslunt
I would always go for the audio interface rather than the mixer. Unless I already had the audio interface. Reason being that it is a pain in the ass to lug a mixer around while moving an audio interface is far easier. Modularity also helps when it is time to upgrade or change gear .

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy