VCI-400 XLR vs. 1/4

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: VCI-400 XLR vs. 1/4Reply
VCI-400 XLR vs. 1/4
Posted on: 12.04.2013 by Toya Spor
So I currently have my master outs going through the two rear 1/4" jacks to each of my speakers on my VCI-400. If I were to use XLR cables instead, would there be any difference in sound quality, or are they the same?
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by protocol
So I currently have my master outs going through the two rear 1/4" jacks to each of my speakers on my VCI-400. If I were to use XLR cables instead, would there be any difference in sound quality, or are they the same?
There is absolutely no difference between balanced 1/4" TRS and balanced XLR other than the shape of the connection.

Edit: Looking at the specs it seems they used unbalanced TS sockets, so for longer cable runs using the XLR connections should help reduce any noise/interference.
Toya Spor
Alphonso Deitchman
Originally Posted by protocol
There is absolutely no difference between balanced 1/4" TRS and balanced XLR other than the shape of the connection.

Edit: Looking at the specs it seems they used unbalanced TS sockets, so for longer cable runs using the XLR connections should help reduce any noise/interference.
Kittie Aitchison
More important for us djs, the xlr cables will reduce the risk of a ground loop (hum) issue when connected to a poorly setup sound system.
Toya Spor
I did some research and found the answer on this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Balanced audio is a method of interconnecting audio gear using balanced lines. This type of connection is very important in sound recording and production because it allows for the use of long cables while reducing susceptibility to external noise.
Meaning that using XLR cables would mitigate interference from other cables.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy