traktor pro 2 and vci-100??

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: traktor pro 2 and vci-100??Reply
traktor pro 2 and vci-100??
Posted on: 11.02.2011 by Nobuko Flegle
so i just got my vci-100 this week and i was planning on upgrading to traktor pro, getting the 1.4 FW, and DJJ overlay. but then i saw traktor pro 2 is coming out. obviously now ill wait till april 1 to upgrade, but i was wondering if the stock vci-100 is going to work well with pro 2? or will the 1.4 fw upgrade still work w traktor pro 2? and will djj have a new firmware, tks files, and overlay for traktor pro 2? if so i hope it wont be long

basically im going to get traktor pro 2 when it comes out and im wondering if i should still upgrade to 1.4fw or not. and if i should get the overlay or wait.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by Kainos
I have the same concerns as everyone posting here. I was taking a closer look at the S4 to see if it was time to make the transition, but while doing so, I believe the VCI has more potential with the new software. In fact, given the new layout, in my opinion the S4 is not set up well, which is strange since it is NI's flagship contoller.
A surprising POV, it's pretty much ideal for the new TP2. Check out the interface explorer on NI's website.

What is equally as strange is why there is not control of the volume and filter knobs for the sample decks (did I miss this somewhere?)
Yes, the loop encoders above the sample buttons control volume and filter in sample mode.

I have a hunch that the VCI will still have an advantage with the right mapping. With a Midi Fighter, all the cue points and the sample decks can be controlled for one main deck. I wish there was a better solution for having a volume and filter knob for each sample deck, as that would be sweet.
I'm guessing they'll implement the sample features on what is now the looping mode of the effects section, although there are of course only 4 pots there so we'll see how they get round that. I'll be fine with my X1

Have you noticed that there will only be 2 FX sections with the new software? This may limit the ability to use the instant Slice and Echo buttons on each deck of the VCI.
There will be 4 effect banks. Displaying just 2 will be an option just like it is in TP1.

Finally, why is the key control knob never mapped. I realized this woudn't be used too much, but I'm surprised it is not on the S4 since it is on the Traktor GUI so prominent. I thought it would be fun to use in conjunction with the sample decks for interesting effects.
I don't believe it's on the S4, though you could add it, but it's certainly on the current VCI mapping. It's the shift function of the filter knob.
Nobuko Flegle
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
I believe the LPD8 will do a fine job of handling the sample decks, with the right mapping.
key words with the right mapping. cant djtt do everything for us? GOSH
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by lyons238
you believe the lpd8 would do the trick for this? dont really feel like dishing out the money for a midi fighter or x1. plus i still want to arcade mod my vci..
I believe the LPD8 will do a fine job of handling the sample decks, with the right mapping.
Nobuko Flegle
Originally Posted by photojojo
Karlos, Ean and others have said that their Midi Fighters and other controllers work straight off with T2. The new features will need to be mapped, but that's a whole other story. I don't have any inside on what DJTT is working on, but I believe that to really take advantage of the new T2 you really should have a Midi Fighter or X1. I'm not saying you can't have a mapping that uses the sample decks and any other new features T2 might have on a VCI, just that I would personally want a external something to use those.
you believe the lpd8 would do the trick for this? dont really feel like dishing out the money for a midi fighter or x1. plus i still want to arcade mod my vci..
Tatum Ansaldo
I believe that to really take advantage of the new T2 you really should have a Midi Fighter or X1
Oh reeeeeeaally????

Nobuko Flegle
Originally Posted by monstrejumo
If you read the article 'the vci is dead, long life to the vci" or something like that on djranking s, you'll see how much love the VCI100mk1 is getting from DJTT"s crew, and I'm pretty sure this love will last, as DJTT don"t really love the mk2.

DJTT are proud to still be able to sell some VCI100SE units, and are even asking to buy your VCI100s if you're planning to sell....

they "just" released FW1.4, that helps this "old" VCI to stay in the present competition with now HD pitch faders and jogwheels... and they still update their TSI.

with all that in mind, I'm pretty sure we VCI100SE owners won't be forgotten.

Just add some midi fighter or padkontrol for the 16 sample decks, and with the VCISE we got a really decent, solid and competent traktor controller setup

But I'd be also glad to hear that from DJTT's officials!

cheers
yeah this is what i hope. i dont like the mk2 either and i hope djtt continues to do amazing things with the mk1. i know the controller will work in tp2 but as others were saying im terrible at mapping and hope djtt can do something amazing for tp2.
Olene Minyard
Originally Posted by Colas
This is much more simple than you guys believe.

If Traktor Pro 2 has custom controller mapping, which it definitely will, then the VCI will be all the same as it was in TP. Of course there will need to be a new mapping, but that's just to cover changes in software.

Haven't you guys noticed in your time here that people can map just about anything to Traktor? Why would the VCI, of all controllers, be any different?
Yeah, I got this. I was believeing more if DJTT specifically will be making a custom mapping for the original VCI for TP2.

It's not whether the VCI will work with it, but whether DJTT will make a mapping for the original VCI-100 rather than the newer MkII.
Nobuko Flegle
Originally Posted by Bunford
Why check with NI?

The FW upgrades are unofficial and DJTT's own hard work, as is the mapping. It is (officially) unaffiliated with Traktor, so NI have no responsibility in making sure DJTT's 1.4 FW and mapping works with Traktor Pro 2.
yeah thats what i was believeing but i didnt bother calling it out. but im pretty sure ni may have control on whether or not tp2 will work with the original vci fw and mapping.
Olene Minyard
Originally Posted by deejaygee
Ive been looking for an answer to this question for days , no one at ni will answer me . I have the original vci 100 with the overlay and the firmware upgrades all i want to know if we will be able to use them and our midfighters with traktor 2 any help would be greatly appreciated.
Why check with NI?

The FW upgrades are unofficial and DJTT's own hard work, as is the mapping. It is (officially) unaffiliated with Traktor, so NI have no responsibility in making sure DJTT's 1.4 FW and mapping works with Traktor Pro 2.
Tatum Ansaldo
I have the same concerns as everyone posting here. I was taking a closer look at the S4 to see if it was time to make the transition, but while doing so, I believe the VCI has more potential with the new software. In fact, given the new layout, in my opinion the S4 is not set up well, which is strange since it is NI's flagship contoller.
A surprising POV, it's pretty much ideal for the new TP2. Check out the interface explorer on NI's website.

What is equally as strange is why there is not control of the volume and filter knobs for the sample decks (did I miss this somewhere?)
Yes, the loop encoders above the sample buttons control volume and filter in sample mode.

I have a hunch that the VCI will still have an advantage with the right mapping. With a Midi Fighter, all the cue points and the sample decks can be controlled for one main deck. I wish there was a better solution for having a volume and filter knob for each sample deck, as that would be sweet.
I'm guessing they'll implement the sample features on what is now the looping mode of the effects section, although there are of course only 4 pots there so we'll see how they get round that. I'll be fine with my X1

Have you noticed that there will only be 2 FX sections with the new software? This may limit the ability to use the instant Slice and Echo buttons on each deck of the VCI.
There will be 4 effect banks. Displaying just 2 will be an option just like it is in TP1.

Finally, why is the key control knob never mapped. I realized this woudn't be used too much, but I'm surprised it is not on the S4 since it is on the Traktor GUI so prominent. I thought it would be fun to use in conjunction with the sample decks for interesting effects.
I don't believe it's on the S4, though you could add it, but it's certainly on the current VCI mapping. It's the shift function of the filter knob.
Dena Chinn
i'll pretty much go with whatever djtt does. it'd be cool if they'd do some stuff with maschine, but i'm not losing sleep over it.
Heike Decroix

I am assuming that most folks will go with the 2 main decks with the C & D decks serving as 8 sample decks. In this layout, it seems less intuitive to have a 4 deck mixer section, as you will primarily be mixing 2 decks (+ 8 sample decks). What is equally as strange is why there is not control of the volume and filter knobs for the sample decks (did I miss this somewhere?) I have a hunch that the VCI will still have an advantage with the right mapping. With a Midi Fighter, all the cue points and the sample decks can be controlled for one main deck. I wish there was a better solution for having a volume and filter knob for each sample deck, as that would be sweet. I guess you could have a custom Midi Fighter with pots under each button, but that would be $$$.

Nobuko Flegle
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
key words with the right mapping. cant djtt do everything for us? GOSH
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by lyons238
Nobuko Flegle
Karlos, Ean and others have said that their Midi Fighters and other controllers work straight off with T2. The new features will need to be mapped, but that's a whole other story. I don't have any inside on what DJTT is working on, but I believe that to really take advantage of the new T2 you really should have a Midi Fighter or X1. I'm not saying you can't have a mapping that uses the sample decks and any other new features T2 might have on a VCI, just that I would personally want a external something to use those.
Tatum Ansaldo
I believe that to really take advantage of the new T2 you really should have a Midi Fighter or X1
Oh reeeeeeaally????

Leeanna Ayla
Nobuko Flegle
Originally Posted by monstrejumo
If you read the article 'the vci is dead, long life to the vci" or something like that on djranking s, you'll see how much love the VCI100mk1 is getting from DJTT"s crew, and I'm pretty sure this love will last, as DJTT don"t really love the mk2.

DJTT are proud to still be able to sell some VCI100SE units, and are even asking to buy your VCI100s if you're planning to sell....

they "just" released FW1.4, that helps this "old" VCI to stay in the present competition with now HD pitch faders and jogwheels... and they still update their TSI.

Just add some midi fighter or padkontrol for the 16 sample decks, and with the VCISE we got a really decent, solid and competent traktor controller setup

cheers
yeah this is what i hope. i dont like the mk2 either and i hope djtt continues to do amazing things with the mk1. i know the controller will work in tp2 but as others were saying im terrible at mapping and hope djtt can do something amazing for tp2.
Corliss Michalke
Just wanted to add something, sorry if it's already been covered.

The 1.4FW is nothing to do with NI, or Traktor....infact, if you used you 1.4FW VCI-100 with virtual DJ, you'll still have HD pitch faders and jogs.

All current TSI files, that are compatible with TSP, will convert over and be compatible with TSP2...so your VCI-100 is going to work for another long while yet.

I'm sure with the extra features that come with TSP2, the DJTT guys will be able to come up with something really special.
Lenora Brunett
but whether DJTT will make a mapping for the original VCI-100 rather than the newer MkII

cheers
Olene Minyard
Originally Posted by Colas

If Traktor Pro 2 has custom controller mapping, which it definitely will, then the VCI will be all the same as it was in TP. Of course there will need to be a new mapping, but that's just to cover changes in software.

Haven't you guys noticed in your time here that people can map just about anything to Traktor? Why would the VCI, of all controllers, be any different?
Yeah, I got this. I was believeing more if DJTT specifically will be making a custom mapping for the original VCI for TP2.

It's not whether the VCI will work with it, but whether DJTT will make a mapping for the original VCI-100 rather than the newer MkII.
Gilberto Kretzler
Just +1'ing for some information on a DJTT custom mapping for Traktor Pro 2 on the VCI-100se...

Would be great if a mod or anyone in the know could let us know as I'm sure there are loads of people out there who would want to know
Elnora Wisegarver
Colas Also sorry for the harsh reply .I am looking into it just found some great reading from Tom B on midi .Yes i would love to go crazy with all my gear .I was just alittle intimadated by it also didnt have time, now I have both. But i just didnt want to have to run out and buy a s4 Put alot of time and money into my gear u know how that goes thanks .
Emiko Lucek
Apologies, I wasn't trying to "cut heads off, I just wanted to try and make you believe about the logic of your questions.

Anyway, I believe just about any device that sends out some kind of MIDI note will be compatible with Traktor just as it is right now. The software only reads the MIDI notes to control the program. It does not care about the brand of your notes, nor what firmware they came from. This is why people are able to use custom, one-off, self made mappings and controllers.

On a mildly unrelated note: If you haven't already looked into mapping, you should really give it a try. I was a bit discouraged at first because it was something completely new. I wouldn't say I'm a pro at it or anything, but it has allowed me to customize my LPD8 for use alongside my VCI. From your sig, I can see that you have a lot of great hardware. Wouldn't you like to be able to make it do whatever you want in Traktor?
Elnora Wisegarver
First off all i asked over at ni was will the vci be compatible With tp2 , no need to get feathers in a ruffle .I Am not as tech savy as others here . I have to depend on others for mappings, and I am very greatful for everything the do here for us . So i just feel there no need to cut the heads off of us who are less technical then others .Just wanted a simple answer to a simple question
Emiko Lucek

Rosanna Naeyaert
wondering the same thing too.

especially now that i have moved all cue points to a mf, freeing the two juggle banks with 2x4 buttons each for the shiny sample decks. bank one records, bank two plays, or something like that. change a few effect presets and voila! it would be PERFECT. the only thing that tp lacked for me so far was "deck 2.5" where i could have short samples running directly.

at least that's how i dream it will be... months of work in changing the mapping to my needs and then BAM, tp2 kills it. not looking forward to going through the mind-boggling process of mapping stuff in tp's preferences.

an a side note, does tp2 have some changes in the mapping prefs? like being able to sort columns, using the arrow buttons to go through the entries and stuff. that would be excellent and much needed!
Nobuko Flegle
Why check with NI?

yeah thats what i was believeing but i didnt bother calling it out. but im pretty sure ni may have control on whether or not tp2 will work with the original vci fw and mapping.
Olene Minyard
Ive been looking for an answer to this question for days , no one at ni will answer me . I have the original vci 100 with the overlay and the firmware upgrades all i want to know if we will be able to use them and our midfighters with traktor 2 any help would be greatly appreciated.
Why check with NI?

Nobuko Flegle
thanks still nothing
yeah hopefully there will be some more info on this buy april 1st so i can decide whether to get tp2 or not.
Elnora Wisegarver
thanks still nothing
Nobuko Flegle
yeah man let me know if you find anything out because i was planning on getting the fw upgrade, overlay, and possibly arcade mod so i definitely want to make sure it will work with tp2 first.

and of coarse if i find anything out i will be sure to let you know.
Elnora Wisegarver
Nobuko Flegle
Originally Posted by -AyeAreTee
i am wondering the same thing, im hoping for some new mapping for the vci for tp2
im hoping too ^_^ would be nice. and if the guys at djtt are smart they will keep the original vci-100 support going. so imo they should def get something going for tp2.
Leonardo Papajohn
i am wondering the same thing, im hoping for some new mapping for the vci for tp2
Nobuko Flegle
Good question. Will DJTT be working on a mapping for the original VCI-100 (not the newer MkII) for Traktor Pro 2?

No problem if not, it won't be the end of the world to stick with Traktor Pro!
yeah i know but i would hope they stay loyal to the original vci-100. i bought the original just recently because i like it better than the mk2. for one i like the all metal build, as well as it not including a sound card. i like to use my own sound card so...although the mk2 does have some cool features.

maybe a djtt mod can chime in here and give us some info.
Olene Minyard
Good question. Will DJTT be working on a mapping for the original VCI-100 (not the newer MkII) for Traktor Pro 2?

No problem if not, it won't be the end of the world to stick with Traktor Pro!
Nobuko Flegle
anyone?

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy