VCI 100 - Arcade DIY Holes Tutorial

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: VCI 100 - Arcade DIY Holes TutorialReply
VCI 100 - Arcade DIY Holes Tutorial
Posted on: 20.10.2009 by Lorrine Eckstein
Here's just a quick tutorial on how you can make the holes for your arcade buttons.

Tools required:

Masking tape To Fix the overlay in place.
1 small Round File, and 1 half round file.
Pliers to pull out old button fixings.
Sharp pointy tool to mark the holes

Step 1: Align & tape you're arcade overlay in place.

Step 2: Using the overlay as a guide, Mark where you're holes need to be, this will be used as a reference to how wide your holes need to be when filing.

Step 3: Using a pair of pliers pull out the fixings that were used to attach the old buttons.

Step 4: Now your ready to start filing, start by using the small round file to create a large enough hole to use the larger file. -

Just remember to take your time with this, and let the file do the work. The holes won't come out looking perfect, but they don't need to be as the overlay will cover this up. Remember to regularly check you're arcade button in the whole while filing - This prevents any accidents by making the hole to big.

Continue this process until complete. You will notice fillings will accumulate on the underneath of the VCI case, I used a scraper to get rid of these.

Haven't attached my overlay or buttons as yet, because Im doing other modifications to my VCI (Adding 2 extra faders) will upload pic's of my complete VCI when complete.

Hopefully this will be of some use to some of you on here.

Cutta
Hildegarde Rateliff
Originally Posted by CuttaBoi
It takes around an hour to file all the holes.

Cutta
I just got myself the metal files to maybe start filing the holes, since the machineshop here in Norway charge more for making the wholes.
The 2 shops ive looked at charges 750 Norwegian Kr in the hour it's around 140-150 dollars a hour. So this is so much cheaper.
Lorrine Eckstein
Here's just a quick tutorial on how you can make the holes for your arcade buttons.

Tools required:

Masking tape To Fix the overlay in place.
1 small Round File, and 1 half round file.
Pliers to pull out old button fixings.
Sharp pointy tool to mark the holes

Step 1: Align & tape you're arcade overlay in place.

Step 2: Using the overlay as a guide, Mark where you're holes need to be, this will be used as a reference to how wide your holes need to be when filing.

Step 3: Using a pair of pliers pull out the fixings that were used to attach the old buttons.

Step 4: Now your ready to start filing, start by using the small round file to create a large enough hole to use the larger file. -

Just remember to take your time with this, and let the file do the work. The holes won't come out looking perfect, but they don't need to be as the overlay will cover this up. Remember to regularly check you're arcade button in the whole while filing - This prevents any accidents by making the hole to big.

Continue this process until complete. You will notice fillings will accumulate on the underneath of the VCI case, I used a scraper to get rid of these.

Haven't attached my overlay or buttons as yet, because Im doing other modifications to my VCI (Adding 2 extra faders) will upload pic's of my complete VCI when complete.

Hopefully this will be of some use to some of you on here.

Cutta
Delfina Lorimor
can anyone tell me the diodes that need to be used? thanks
Hipolito Scionti
The chances are it won't fit exactly flush, there may be a tiny bit of a gap.

I recommend watching this tut on applying the overlay.

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=5552

I did the mod myself too and wrote about it on my blog, you may find this usefull http://www.maxonemusic.com/djtt-mods...arcade-fw-1-4/
Chantal Harabedian
ok, but if I want the button to be centered in the overlay, I need to do it really very well, a nice circle which center is the center of the overlay too, no?
sorry for my english, maybe you won't understand what i say :s
Leeanna Ayla
The overlay holes are designed to go around the outside of the buttons so it can easily be removed with the buttons still on the VCI. This means you need to do the holes smaller than the overlay. You can use the overlay as a guide for placement of teh buttons and just remember to not go all the way to the edge.
Chantal Harabedian
I need to do the holes 24mm large no? because if i fill it as big as in the overlay, it'll be too big no? I need to care a lot if i want the buttons to be really where they are in the overlay no?

I'll do it today
Lorrine Eckstein
attach overlay (after filing), then fit in the arcade buttons (still do a test fit when filing though), as the button will overlap the overlay slightly.
Debbra Sciutto
would you suggest installing the overlay first then the arcade buttons or vice versa?
Xavier Emanuels
Thanks for ya contribution
Hildegarde Rateliff
Originally Posted by CuttaBoi

Cutta
I just got myself the metal files to maybe start filing the holes, since the machineshop here in Norway charge more for making the wholes.
The 2 shops ive looked at charges 750 Norwegian Kr in the hour it's around 140-150 dollars a hour. So this is so much cheaper.
Nick Ross
Damn that's it?

/just ordered my overlay
Lorrine Eckstein

Cutta
Nick Ross
How long would you say this took you to do?
Myung Belski
Thanks man, the time and price of a machine shop was really the only thing holding me from doing this. Good work!
Madeline Rega
This would have saved me a lot of time waiting for a machine shop to do it. (and fifty bucks). Thanks
Lorrine Eckstein
Rest of Pic's.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy