About to paint my jogs, any last minute pointers?

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: About to paint my jogs, any last minute pointers?Reply
About to paint my jogs, any last minute pointers?
Posted on: 26.02.2011 by Nobuko Flegle
so i just completely sanded my jog wheels. i used 150 grit at first to get the paint off, and then i used 800 fine grit to smooth it out. i sanded in a circular motion (not around the jog, but in small swirls) and im happy with the results. it looks like it came out of the factory with swirls but its very smooth.

but before i go into the painting i was wondering how many coats should i put on? i also got a clear coat to protect the black. i was believeing 2 thin coats of black, and 2 thin coats of clear? can someone who has done this fill me in on what would be best? and should i use a primer? it says to use primer when painting on bare metal.

by the way i got krylon satin black and krylon satin clear. the satin is like a semi flat, but it's not glossy at all. its sort of like an eggshell, except black of coarse.
Nobuko Flegle
Originally Posted by RileySmiley
search matte vinyl in ebay. use and excat-o blade or a razor blade and hug the walls. I would recommend taking a file and scraping the edges, if you do it deep enough and clean enough, it will fall right off. I would recommend upgrading to vinyl as they grip your fingertips, I no longer worry about my fingers slipping. Its a really east arts and craft project, your believeing about it too much. most it should cost is paying for the vinyl and your time.
im probly just going to paint mine anyway since i already stripped my paint off and bought the paint but maybe in the future.
Nobuko Flegle
[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

You can go on ebay and buy it. And you can buy in a matte finish. I used a file to shave off the vinyl and peeled it off and used an exact-o knife for the body
can you post a bigger picture? and possibly a link to the matte finish? also how did you cut them perfect?
Nobuko Flegle
Hey, just found out you can cover the jog wheels with vinyl. You have to make sure to let the screws have a direct connection to the surface of the wheel, ill post a picture later
ok yeah show me. unfortunately i dont have access to any vinyl or a way to cut it so i will be painting mine.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by BastianBujak
I put 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint.
This. I just kind of assumed you were using primer in our earlier conversations.
Nobuko Flegle
so i just completely sanded my jog wheels. i used 150 grit at first to get the paint off, and then i used 800 fine grit to smooth it out. i sanded in a circular motion (not around the jog, but in small swirls) and im happy with the results. it looks like it came out of the factory with swirls but its very smooth.

but before i go into the painting i was wondering how many coats should i put on? i also got a clear coat to protect the black. i was believeing 2 thin coats of black, and 2 thin coats of clear? can someone who has done this fill me in on what would be best? and should i use a primer? it says to use primer when painting on bare metal.

by the way i got krylon satin black and krylon satin clear. the satin is like a semi flat, but it's not glossy at all. its sort of like an eggshell, except black of coarse.
Nobuko Flegle
search matte vinyl in ebay. use and excat-o blade or a razor blade and hug the walls. I would recommend taking a file and scraping the edges, if you do it deep enough and clean enough, it will fall right off. I would recommend upgrading to vinyl as they grip your fingertips, I no longer worry about my fingers slipping. Its a really east arts and craft project, your believeing about it too much. most it should cost is paying for the vinyl and your time.
im probly just going to paint mine anyway since i already stripped my paint off and bought the paint but maybe in the future.
Delfina Lorimor
Nobuko Flegle
[IMG]

You can go on ebay and buy it. And you can buy in a matte finish. I used a file to shave off the vinyl and peeled it off and used an exact-o knife for the body
can you post a bigger picture? and possibly a link to the matte finish? also how did you cut them perfect?
Delfina Lorimor
[IMG]

Nobuko Flegle
Hey, just found out you can cover the jog wheels with vinyl. You have to make sure to let the screws have a direct connection to the surface of the wheel, ill post a picture later
ok yeah show me. unfortunately i dont have access to any vinyl or a way to cut it so i will be painting mine.
Delfina Lorimor
Delfina Lorimor
Can you let me know how this goes? I just custom vinyled my vci-100 and wanted to do a led mod and jog wheel mods.

http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...273#post237273
Nobuko Flegle
yeah i wasent sure because i didnt want to cake a bunch of paint on them. any wet sanding in between coats? and any clear? thanks again guys.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by BastianBujak
This. I just kind of assumed you were using primer in our earlier conversations.
Glenna Strama

You can see the results here.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy