switch from firmware 1.4 to 1.2 w/o reflashing?

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: switch from firmware 1.4 to 1.2 w/o reflashing?Reply
switch from firmware 1.4 to 1.2 w/o reflashing?
Posted on: 09.03.2011 by Willetta Steighner
I know you can switch from 1.3 to 1.2 by following the steps in this video:

http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...43&postcount=6

but how can you switch from 1.4 to 1.2?

I need to do this to use my VCI-100 SE (that I just bought from dylooon) in Mixxx which has mappings for the VCI-100 but, for example doesn't work with the pitch faders (oddly most everything else works)

I have searched and read a lot of the common questions about firmware thread but I'm not seeing this answer anywhere. Sorry if this is in the FAQ or already posted.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by photojojo
Do you know off hand what those duplicate notes are? I remember maybe one of the FX buttons also lit up one of the cues? That's probably the easiest way to test if you're in 1.3/1.4 or 1.2.

I tested booting into 1.3 from 1.4 after I flashed my VCI and it definitely worked, but I don't have my VCI anymore so I can't double check for you or shoot a little video <cough> fullenglishpint </cough>
Hehe, subtle. I'm at work right now, on a loooooong conference call (DJTT has a lot more of my attention).

Can't check specifically, but here's an exerpt from the pdf guide that comes with the newest version of the mapping:

Known Issues with VCI-100 Version 1.2:

Willetta Steighner
I PMed photojojo last evening and he said this is how it can be done

"You hold down the top little black button on the upper left side of the VCI while turing it on. You shouldn't get any extra midi messages from the volume faders when teh fader FX mode is on after that."

I am on vacation so I don
Tatum Ansaldo
Do you know off hand what those duplicate notes are? I remember maybe one of the FX buttons also lit up one of the cues? That's probably the easiest way to test if you're in 1.3/1.4 or 1.2.

I tested booting into 1.3 from 1.4 after I flashed my VCI and it definitely worked, but I don't have my VCI anymore so I can't double check for you or shoot a little video <cough> fullenglishpint </cough>
Hehe, subtle. I'm at work right now, on a loooooong conference call (DJTT has a lot more of my attention).

Can't check specifically, but here's an exerpt from the pdf guide that comes with the newest version of the mapping:

Willetta Steighner

"You hold down the top little black button on the upper left side of the VCI while turing it on. You shouldn't get any extra midi messages from the volume faders when teh fader FX mode is on after that."

Tatum Ansaldo

Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
1.2 is (basically) the original firmware, with bugs such as duplicated notes.

Willetta Steighner
fader FX mode doesn't work properly in FW 1.2.
So i am trying to piece this together..

Fader fx mode being enabled is how you get more precision with firmware 1.4 or use special features of 1.4?

But these features are buggy in 1.2? Or what do you mean it doesn't work?
Willetta Steighner

Willetta Steighner
I ended up flashing this thing with firmware 1.3 from here:
http://djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=18220

now I can follow this video to switch from 1.3 to 1.2
http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=846#6

Actually, it looks like Mixxx built in mapping for vestax vci-100 works fine with 1.3.. so far.

edit: also, part of the problems I was having with the pitch jumping weren't just mixxx not knowing how to handle the extra midi messages..

my left fader is physically bad. it's loose at the top and if you wiggle it at the wrong angle it sends a midi message as if it were at the middle position.
Willetta Steighner
I exited mixxx, then I moved the left pitch fader to the higest position, then I started mixxx with the --mididebug option and after that I moved the fader down. It jumped from middle to top then to bottom, and back up and then to bottom and back up a few times..

http://www.fpaste.org/uOFg/
Oliva Titcombe
It'll probably help for debugging if you post the full MIDI dump of what the VCI-100 is sending when that glitch happens. You can make Mixxx do that by giving it the --midiDebug parameter on bootup:

$ ./mixxx --midiDebug

Then it'll dump all the incoming MIDI messages to the console. I suspect if it isn't a Mixxx-related bug with the VCI-100 MIDI script, then you'll see a discontinuity in what the fader is sending as you hit that middle point, but we'll have to see.

Cheers,
RJ
Willetta Steighner
When i move the pitch fader to the lowest position in Mixx it goes to the highest position. As I move the pitch fader up Mixx adjusts the pitch down until I get to the middle where it suddenly jumps back up to the highest position. Then as I continue moving the pitch fader up it jumps back from the top to the middle and continues going down until it hits the lowest point in Mixxx.

I'm making a video so you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpJ_usItQc

Another thing I noticed is that the FX ON Deck A LEDs are off when I first start the VCI up, but as soon as I start Mixxx the 1 and 2 LEDs both come on... it looks like FX mode is ON no matter what. If I hit the FADER FX button (one next to the left fader) it lights up but doesn't change the status of FX ON Deck A LEDs
Tatum Ansaldo

Leeanna Ayla

Tatum Ansaldo

1.3, along with fixing bugs, implemented new midi notes on things like the volume fader to enable proper functioning of fader FX mode, which requires an extra note at the top and bottom of its travel.

1.4 added the HD jogs and pitch faders.
Leeanna Ayla
Fader FX mode is a feature of FW 1.3 and 1.4. FW 1.4 gives you higher resolution jogs and pitch faders. FW 1.2 does not have fader FX or the high resolution stuff.
Willetta Steighner
So i am trying to piece this together..

Fader fx mode being enabled is how you get more precision with firmware 1.4 or use special features of 1.4?

But these features are buggy in 1.2? Or what do you mean it doesn't work?
Tatum Ansaldo
Willetta Steighner

Rocco Fiveash
I tried going to 1.2 from 1.4 per the video, but it did not seem to work.

FYI
Willetta Steighner
bump.

I still would love to know if this is possible.

I will look into modifying the 1.2 firmware based mapping in Mixxx but it would be nice to have "instant gratification" since I just bought this controller used here on the community .
Tatum Ansaldo
I love what you guys are doing with mixxx. I believe it's a really great project, and particularly good for people who want to start DJing but don't have any money to put into it.

keep up the good work!
Oliva Titcombe
BTW, internally Mixxx has 4-decks, we just don't have a skin yet. An official skin w/ 4 decks should be out "soon" in a future release.
Willetta Steighner
obviously you can't use 4 decks, I believe the 4 deck mode uses modifiers in traktor so won't exist in mixxx unless you map it... which of course you can't. Does mixxx mapping support modifiers?
Mixxx has something more advanced than Traktor mapping modifiers. It can run a script to control multiple functions within Mixxx

http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/midi_scripting
Tatum Ansaldo
sweet!
Oliva Titcombe
Mixxx has a full Javascript-based scripting system. You can make any button act as a "shift" button, or even combinations of buttons if you so choose to script it that way .
Willetta Steighner
You switch it the same way.
Well, I tried holding down those small black buttons in top left and booting it up and nothing seemed to change.

I did manage to get disco mode to work which was kinda fun.. but not what I'm looking for ultimately ;-)
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by JBstrikesagain
How will I use the 4 deck/pitch fader features of 1.4 firmware if Mixxx only has two decks? or, will that functionality make using this firmware on Mixxx more difficult?
obviously you can't use 4 decks, I believe the 4 deck mode uses modifiers in traktor so won't exist in mixxx unless you map it... which of course you can't. Does mixxx mapping support modifiers?
Leeanna Ayla
You switch it the same way.
Willetta Steighner
hmm. I tried using the MIDI Learning Wizard in Mixxx to do that and it does allow one pitch fader to work (though the pitch is reversed) the other pitch fader jumps from one end of the range to the other and has no granular control at all. if I do map this it will be a bit more complicated I believe. I may have to look at the sniff the MIDI messages that the 1.4 firmware is sending (or look at the documentation for 1.4 firmware, if it exists )

http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/midi_...ng_file_format

This is why I just wanted to try the stock 1.2 firmware with Mixxx.

How will I use the 4 deck/pitch fader features of 1.4 firmware if Mixxx only has two decks? or, will that functionality make using this firmware on Mixxx more difficult?
Reece Murray
I'd suggest simply remapping the pitch faders, rather than throwing away all the features of 1.4. With 1.2 you get several buttons that are locked to each other (very annoying), and miss out on the hi-resolution jogs and pitch faders.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy