Jog wheel maintenance (+LED replacement)

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Jog wheel maintenance (+LED replacement)Reply
Jog wheel maintenance (+LED replacement)
Posted on: 09.10.2010 by Donovan Mandy
So I just bought a vci-100 second hand (cheers, Jack Clark ) and I believe it need a little bit of maintenance.

Here's a youtube video of the jog wheels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40N-E1QH5EU
The left jog wheel works fine, but the right one only seems to pick up when it's rotating about half of the time - it's not the touch sensitivity because the LED stays red. I know there was a video recently about repairing the jog wheels, but is there anything specific I should be looking for if I open it up?

Also I'd quite like to replace the LED for the right headphone cue button, it doesn't work. Any ideas where I can buy a replacement LED in the UK, and brief instructions on how to replace it?
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
FW 1.4 changed the notes of several controls I believe so the standard mapping is likely to be buggy, maybe just create a fresh map with only the glitchy controls to be sure? shouldn't take long.
That's true and worth trying, but I'm getting confused with these different threads with the same problem. I believe mistertruckshop is on 1.3, but some of the others are on 1.4? either way deleting the VCI mapping in the controller manager (just to be sure nothings conflicting) and starting a new generic media device mapping starting on the jog in question might reveal something. Easy enough using midid learn. All of your jog controls should be under transport I believe.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by photojojo
Same result with two different mappings seems to point to a hardware problem I believe. Have you taken it apart and looked around inside?
FW 1.4 changed the notes of several controls I believe so the standard mapping is likely to be buggy, maybe just create a fresh map with only the glitchy controls to be sure? shouldn't take long.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by mistertuckshop
Yes, just tried it. Same results. The problem only occurs when scratch is turned on.
Same result with two different mappings seems to point to a hardware problem I believe. Have you taken it apart and looked around inside?
Angel Lehnen
If your jogwheel;
a) is not sensitive (the contact stutter/blinking jog wheel LED)
b) does not spin freely (jogwheel not properly aligned)
b) stutter only at a certain location on the jogwheel when spun

Then do this!
http://www.djranking s.com/2010/10/0...l-vci-100-300/

usually it could be something as simple as a piece of dust on the sensor or some wiring blocking moving parts. When you open up your VCI100, you will realize how sensitive the jogwheel mechanism are. Just follow the instructions and you can not screw up. Sometimes, even brand new VCI100 need some kind of maintenance.. It'll perform better anyway and you get to learn the insides of it.

Lastly, if your fader :
a) is not sensitive (the fader contact stutters/ goes berserk)
b) is not as smooth

Then do this!
http://www.djranking s.com/2010/08/1...ers-jog-wheel/

by performing these simple maintenance, I've managed to repair all the problems most of the time... actually, all the time.. so far..
Jessika Kienast
I'm on firmware 1.3 and seem to have this problem where one (the left) jogwheel seems less sensitive than the other. Have played around with the sensitivity and thought it was the paint (mine's painted) but even after using sandpaper on the bottom of the metal plate, I still have the same problem. It seems to be working perfectly if my fingers happen to have contact with one of the three screws securing the metal plate and plastic disc to the jog wheel sensor's spindle though. Connection problem? My VCI-100 is still relatively new so I don't believe it's dust or worn out parts.
Angel Lehnen
fixed by cleaning jog wheel thoroughly. A very small piece of dust was stuck on the metal film.
Angel Lehnen
hi I'm having the same issue using 1.4 firmware with these symptoms

-left jogwheel works fine, only right side stutters
-right jogwheel works fine when scratch/vinyl mode is OFF
-right jogwheel works fine when applying more pressure to touchplate

hope there is a fix for this soon
DjMAX MONTANA
I've had to do this twice, and both times it was the plastic bushing (with 3 screws) that needed adjustment. I'm not exaggerating: even if it's a TINY bit off, it will not work properly. They all need to be tightened the same amount. I'm talking 1/10 of a turn with the screwdriver difference between the 3 (too tight or loose) and it won't work. When they're off by a bit, the wheel will sound like it's grinding, but when it's correct, the grinding goes away.

I also adjusted the sensitivity screw until the LED was on all the time without me touching the wheel. After hearing how some of these adjustment screws fall off, I'm afraid of adjusting them any more.

Good luck. Hope this helped
Chantal Harabedian
thanks man, i'm gonna do this.

I didn't knew the second one, it's very instructive.

thank a lot for your work Chris
Leeanna Ayla
Try these

http://www.djranking s.com/2010/10/0...l-vci-100-300/
Chantal Harabedian
Hi guys
I got my VCI 100 blk today; (firm 1,1 waiting for my firmware kit)

I believe everything is ok, except one thing: the right jog wheel is smooth, and doesnt turns very fast. the left goes faster and makes some noise like friction + i believe the sensor doesnt works every time...

I don't know which kind of prudct i must buy, and how much will it cost.

can you guys just help me?

thanks a lot
Jolyn Brunello
im having problems too.normally after a bit of use but i get no functionality from jogs in scratch mode,no pitch bend either,fader fx still works fine though so must be a bug somewhere.f/w 1.4
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
That's true and worth trying, but I'm getting confused with these different threads with the same problem. I believe mistertruckshop is on 1.3, but some of the others are on 1.4? either way deleting the VCI mapping in the controller manager (just to be sure nothings conflicting) and starting a new generic media device mapping starting on the jog in question might reveal something. Easy enough using midid learn. All of your jog controls should be under transport I believe.
Tatum Ansaldo
Donovan Mandy
Not yet... I'll see if I have time this weekend
Leeanna Ayla
Yes, just tried it. Same results. The problem only occurs when scratch is turned on.
Donovan Mandy
Oh also, fader fx mode is glitchy as well is scratch is also turned on. Fine if not.
Donovan Mandy

(the vestax mapping is slightly different because I believe they use seek position so it doesn't 'scratch' through the track as such, just scrolls quickly, but I don't believe that's really relevant, the glitch still occurs when scratch button is turned on)
Leeanna Ayla
Ok, so having done some testing with the default vci-100 mapping:

When scrolling through the track with the top of the jog wheel ("jogseek" on default overlay not lit), it works fine. When scratching ("jogseek" lit up) it is jittery. When using the outside of the jog wheel in either case, it works fine.

1.3 firmware, mapping downloaded from here:
http://help.vestax.co.jp/en/detail.p...id_page_url=56
Does the DJTT mapping give you the same results?
Donovan Mandy
Ok, so having done some testing with the default vci-100 mapping:

When scrolling through the track with the top of the jog wheel ("jogseek" on default overlay not lit), it works fine. When scratching ("jogseek" lit up) it is jittery. When using the outside of the jog wheel in either case, it works fine.

1.3 firmware, mapping downloaded from here:
http://help.vestax.co.jp/en/detail.p...id_page_url=56
Leeanna Ayla
Another thing to try would be to delete any VCI mappings you have in there before importing. Not sure if this would help or not, but it's worth a try. Maybe try the basic mapping that comes with traktor Is everybody on 1.2.6?
Donovan Mandy
Haven't actually got round to opening up my vci-100 yet, been busy. Thought I should mention that I'm actually still on 1.3 firmware, FWIW.
Odilia Gatica
I loaded the mapping twice using the big import button and restarted Traktor (twice) each time. I will look into the last 3 questions (Scratch, faderFX, pitch bend) toevening and post my results. This is SOOO annoying! I paid a lot of money for this and it dont work properly
Leeanna Ayla
This really sounds like a mapping issue, but I have no clue what it is. Has everybody loaded the mapping twice using the big import button restarting Traktor each time? Does the jog act different when you turn scratch on and off? Does it work properly in fader FX mode? Does pitch bend work correctly?
Treasa Maffucci
^^^ im sure this is a mapping issue, as i have upgraded my vci to 1.4, and using my own personal mapping, am having no problems with the right jog wheel compared to the left. hope this helps...
Fredia Sullens
Did anyone solve this problem (right wheel becomes unresponsive/jittery for scratching after upgrading to FW1.4) yet? Did physical jog wheel maintenance/lubricating the ground finger lead to any successes on this?

I still have the feeling that this is a software/mapping issue...also: when the deck is playing, scratching works far worse than when the decks are in stop or pause mode.

All opinions on this are more than welcome!
Odilia Gatica
Yeah mine was fine before updating to 1.4 firmware, and now the right jog plays up but the left is fine still. I have tried reverting to 3.5.2 mapping but the problem remains.
Fredia Sullens
Strange..same thing here: since the update to FW1.4, my right jog wheel has exactly the same problems as described above and shown in the video.

Could it be that the fourfold resolution of 1.4 multiplies the detrimental effects of small amounts of dirt/dust? Or would it rather be a software/mapping issue?

But then again: the left wheel works perfectly.
Odilia Gatica
Im getting the same jog wheel problem too
Donovan Mandy
Did you use the big import button to load the tsi? Sometimes it takes importing a couple of time restarting Traktor between each import to get it fully loaded. If that doesn;t work I would lubricate the finger that touches the jog post.
Yep, used the big import button.
Just to clarify, by the way, the wheel itself rotates fine, not stiff or anything, it just doesn't seem to pick up when it's spinning a lot of the time.
Leeanna Ayla
Did you use the big import button to load the tsi? Sometimes it takes importing a couple of time restarting Traktor between each import to get it fully loaded. If that doesn;t work I would lubricate the finger that touches the jog post.
Donovan Mandy
Has the sensitivity changed in the mapping? Have you updated recently or anything? Was it ever working for you or was it like this wen you got it? Since it is second hand it might be worth it to go ahead and do the fader maintenance on it anyway.
I only got it yesterday - using the latest mapping downloaded straight from DJTT.

edit: oh and cheers for the LED link, ordered
Leeanna Ayla
Has the sensitivity changed in the mapping? Have you updated recently or anything? Was it ever working for you or was it like this wen you got it? Since it is second hand it might be worth it to go ahead and do the fader maintenance on it anyway.
Tatum Ansaldo
When it comes to LEDs I've done that mod (check my post 'jojo linked to) so I'm happy to give any advice you need. I used these LEDs from Maplin and they're pretty much identical to the originals. A lot of people seem to be having the cue LED problem, I guess vestax had a bad batch.
Donovan Mandy
Tried adjusting the sensitivity - even with it all the way up (so the red LED is still on even when I'm not touching the wheel) it still doesn't work right. Moving the jog wheel smoothly round only works for about half a rotation.
Leeanna Ayla
Have you checked the sensitivity on the back of the VCI? Even though the red LED comes on it could be the software needs a little more to work well. Be careful as those little plastic screws are fragile.

You might need to lube the finger that contacts the post of the jog wheel inside the unit. I cover that here.

LED's (check the blog post he linked in there to)
http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=18867

I'm believeing there's something else, but I can't jog (pun intended ) my memory right now.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy