Looking into custom midifighter classic

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Looking into custom midifighter classicReply
Looking into custom midifighter classic
Posted on: 17.11.2011 by Patrica Giancaterino
Hey guys I've been drooling over mf's for months and now that christmas is coming up, I'm believeing about making a custom midifighter classic and had some questions. First, I don't know much about inputs and outputs and what not but, would a configuration of 3 faders, and 2 knobs be possible with just the extra ins/outs on the board? Second, where can I get the faders and knobs DJTT uses in their mf pro line? Lastly, could I setup this mod with relatively no programming knowledge?
Thanks a ton, any help is appreciated!!

**Edit: Original design was 3 faders and 4 buttons, but I changed it to 3 faders and 2 knobs.
Porter Terras
thanks man.

actually yes. there is a further question. i read pretty much every thread i could find here in the community i was wondering how to solve this little handicap:
a joystick (lets say the ones with a spring which are used in the playstation controller) would always go back in the middle position and send value 063 for the x and 063 for the y. correct?

would there be a easy way to calibrate the joystick and set the middle position to values x=0 & y=0

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

actually yes. there is a further question. i read pretty much every thread i could find here in the community i was wondering how to solve this little handicap:
a joystick (lets say the ones with a spring which are used in the playstation controller) would always go back in the middle position and send value 063 for the x and 063 for the y. correct?

would there be a easy way to calibrate the joystick and set the middle position to values x=0 & y=0

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Patrica Giancaterino
Hey guys I've been drooling over mf's for months and now that christmas is coming up, I'm believeing about making a custom midifighter classic and had some questions. First, I don't know much about inputs and outputs and what not but, would a configuration of 3 faders, and 2 knobs be possible with just the extra ins/outs on the board? Second, where can I get the faders and knobs DJTT uses in their mf pro line? Lastly, could I setup this mod with relatively no programming knowledge?
Thanks a ton, any help is appreciated!!

**Edit: Original design was 3 faders and 4 buttons, but I changed it to 3 faders and 2 knobs.
Porter Terras
thanks man.

haven
Kimberly Lewark
No problem. Feel free to ask here if you have any questions.
Porter Terras
ok.
clear.
thanks for this fast and helpful reply.
Kimberly Lewark
Two analog pins (one for X and one for Y) and one digital pin for the button. You could connect up to two of these without software changes.
Porter Terras
@guywithknife

received my mf classic recently and thought to mod that baby. as an joystick fan i was wondering, will this little fellow work "out of the box" without any software changes?

how many analog input will this fellow eat up due to its 2 axis?!

http://www.lipoly.de/index.php?main_...10&language=en
Patrica Giancaterino
Well, I believe I could confidently solder and assemble the basic arduinome and maybe even two for a 128. The only thing is, looking at the code on that website sort of boggles my mind, and what I'm really wondering is: is it something I could just copy and paste if I got it from the author. Also, that wiring schematic type thing he has posted sort of confuses me but I guess I could figure that out on my own. I really do appreciate the help, and if I'm getting annoying with the questions, just let me know.. I'm just trying to find out the specifics to see if this is something I could realistically do
Kimberly Lewark
what makes multiplexing so complicated? Does it require immense coding knowledge?
Not immense, no.

Firstly, if you want to multiplex one analog input on a Midifighter classic (turning it into 8, for a total of 11 analog inputs), you do not need to change any code - the firmware already supports this. Changing it to support all 4 analogs to be multiplexed (for a total of 32 analog inputs) is a very simple extension to the firmware (a bit more than a copy and paste of the existing multiplexer code for the one analog input). Beyond that, its just a matter of wiring it all up. Using analog inputs for buttons is a little more work, but, again, its nothing complicated - but it does require some firmware changes, so if you do not already know how to program, it could be quite difficult. My own code to do this is online though, so you can always look at that for ideas.

EDIT: Do a community search. At the beginning of the year, Fatlimey started a thread explaining how to multiplex Midifighter classic analog expansion pins and I believe there was some discussion about the code changes involved.

Its hard only from the point of view that it requires a lot more work than using the provided anlog and digital expansion pins directly, as it requires a lot more circuitry and it requires the firmware code to be modified. If you already know how to program, the software changes are dead easy - but if you don't.. you will either need to find somebody to do it for you, or you need to learn to do it yourself.

Building a monome is, comparatively, more effort. If you build one exactly like others have, you can just use their firmware. The circuitry is still more involved than that of multiplexing a MF classic, but you get a lot more for it too.

Basically, it depends on what you want - build whichever suits your needs more and don't do it to save money because you are unlikely to save much, if any, especially if your time is worth anything (it took us a number of days just to fix a problem which turned out to be nothing more than a loose wire, for example). Having said that, I do highly recommend you build your own controller, simply because it is a great learning experience and you get to build a controller exactly how you want it to be.
Patrica Giancaterino
Well, now I'm believeing about building a monome, this sort of inspired me: http://elettrofonesi.blogspot.com/20...16adc-mod.html
Monome + pots > launchpad. So basically what I want to know is.. what makes multiplexing so complicated? Does it require immense coding knowledge? This is a project I would LOVE to ensue and I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks a bunch
Kimberly Lewark
The Midifighter Classic has 4 analog and 4 digital expansion pins.

This means that, without any software changes and with relatively simple electronics, you can add up to four knobs and/or faders (that is 4 knobs or 4 faders or 3 faders 1 knob etc) and four buttons.

You can extend the analog inputs to 11, at the expense of 3 digital inputs, but this also makes the electornics a little more complex, as you will need to connect one of the analog inputs (and three of the digital pins) to a multiplexer. Again, this is supported without needing to change any software (you can enable multiplexing in the config tool, in the "expansion port" settings - see image below).

Anything else will require more complex electronics, software changes or both. For example, in my own mod, we multiplexed all 4 analogs for a total of 32 analog inputs and I changed the software so that I could use analog inputs for buttons too. Our mod has four faders, four knobs and 13 buttons (and 17 leds), but there was quite a bit of electronics and software involved to make this happen.

You can buy the knobs and faders on mouser.com though I don't know offhand which ones - I believe it was mentioned somewhere in the community s though, so perhaps try searching.

see if it would be cheaper
Its unlikely to be cheaper. Even if you're time isn't worth anything to you, you would be hard pressed to make a comparable controller for less. Of course, if you don't care about a fancy case (though the MFP cases are extremely sturdy and well built!), you can save a good bit, but for the rest of the parts, I'd be surprised if you save anything at all. The reason to build your own isn't to save money - but rather for the fun of it, or to build a controller designed specifically to work the way you want it to. If your reasons are not for either of those two, then I'd say just buy a pro and save yourself a lot of time.
Patrica Giancaterino
I have considered that but tbh, I would rather build my own so I'm basically just trying to see if what I want is possible and compile a parts list to see if it would be cheaper. If not then, I'll probably consider a mf pro.

Btw: I did some believeing and changed the design
Meg Reinoehl
I believe you might be better off looking into a MIDI Fighter Pro. They're pre-built with 2 faders instead of 3, but they are pre-built and will save you the time and trouble of doing a custom build yourself which is quite the process.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy