MF3D and Reason 6

MF3D and Reason 6
Posted on: 13.06.2012 by Isela Moton
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, i searched but couldn't find it.

I tried to use my new MIDI Fighter 3D with Reason 6 last evening and ran into some major issues. The first was that all the tilt control CCs were automatically mapped to things like the current Reason device's volume control, and as soon as you touch the MF3D, the volume in Reason sets to off. I didn't get as far as trying to remap to solve this them because quickly bashing about triggering a device without a bunch of custom remapping every single time is quite important.

I solved this by disabling all tilt MIDI (for the time being) in the MF3D software.

Second issue was that the MF3D spits out a low F1 MIDI note all the time. I believe this is to let other mapping in other apps know that the MF has been picked up? Anyways, it's not great for Reason, and it sends out that note even when not picked up. Is there any way to disable this?

Third issue is that the 4 bank-switching buttons send out a MIDI note of their own rather than having a purely internal function. This is fine but it appears to have an odd effect on some Reason devices. For example they make the DrRex player change the Global Transpose value. So currently I can only use one bank with Reason. Is there any way to fix this?

I believe all of these problems could be solved be re-assigning what MIDI signals are emitted by the buttons on the MF3D. Is there any way to do this?

It's is possible that all this could be solved with some sort of profile for the MF3D for Reason's controller config panel? The only option at the moment is to define it as a generic "Midi Keyboard /w controls".

thanks in advance for your time.
Isela Moton
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, i searched but couldn't find it.

I tried to use my new MIDI Fighter 3D with Reason 6 last evening and ran into some major issues. The first was that all the tilt control CCs were automatically mapped to things like the current Reason device's volume control, and as soon as you touch the MF3D, the volume in Reason sets to off. I didn't get as far as trying to remap to solve this them because quickly bashing about triggering a device without a bunch of custom remapping every single time is quite important.

I solved this by disabling all tilt MIDI (for the time being) in the MF3D software.

Second issue was that the MF3D spits out a low F1 MIDI note all the time. I believe this is to let other mapping in other apps know that the MF has been picked up? Anyways, it's not great for Reason, and it sends out that note even when not picked up. Is there any way to disable this?

Third issue is that the 4 bank-switching buttons send out a MIDI note of their own rather than having a purely internal function. This is fine but it appears to have an odd effect on some Reason devices. For example they make the DrRex player change the Global Transpose value. So currently I can only use one bank with Reason. Is there any way to fix this?

I believe all of these problems could be solved be re-assigning what MIDI signals are emitted by the buttons on the MF3D. Is there any way to do this?

It's is possible that all this could be solved with some sort of profile for the MF3D for Reason's controller config panel? The only option at the moment is to define it as a generic "Midi Keyboard /w controls".

thanks in advance for your time.
Riley Roegner
Just found a work around. Create two Kongs and lock your Midi Fighter to one of them (lets say Kong B). Then route the Gate output of every pad to the gate input on the pads of Kong A. Remove the output cables from Kong B. Then all the movements will change the parameters on Kong B, but since theres no sound coming from this device your free to do whatever you want

Maybe some issues with the bank selectors tough, haven't testet them yet.
Isela Moton
It largely worked yes, although I also switched off all the accelerometer stuff in the MF3D control panel too, which somewhat removes a lot of the point of a 3D MIDI Fighter.

I've had a huge (non-music) project land on me the past few months so I have to admit I haven't really followed it up much. But soon I'll be back on it and will post any solutions I find here. It feels a bit like Reason is under-supported here, which i totally understand, it is DJTechtools after all and Reason is most definitely not software used by DJs, but it is a excellent sounding and insanely flexible/modular bit of software that is great for live performances. So lets share all knowledge we get :-)
Riley Roegner
Katain, did this work for you? I had the same issues as you experienced, but in Ableton Mode it is better.. Still some parameters, like Decay on one of the pads on Kong receives midi signal from the MF3D when I press a certain button and turn the MF3D.. How do we stop this?

Br Wensell
Isela Moton
Ah ok thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I will try it when i get home.
Andrew Sandberg
I'm using a MFP with Reason 6.5. I don't know if the 3D has an Ableton mode but if so give it a try as it seems to work best for me. You'll need to use the Midi Fighter Utility to enable Ableton mode. Hope this helps
Isela Moton
It's just occurred to me sat here at work that I could probably use OSCulator http://www.osculator.net/ to solve all of these issues by remapping a bunch of the MIDI before it even reaches Reason. I've used that app before once to make a Wii-remote control synths in Reason so it should be pretty doable.

Still, if anyone has any ideas that wouldn't involve a 3rd app I'd like to hear them.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy