Just received Spectra, it's not working

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Just received Spectra, it's not workingReply
Just received Spectra, it's not working
Posted on: 04.02.2013 by Maxine Perusquia
Hey there,

I just received my Midi Fighter Spectra this morning and I'm having problems with it. The MF Util just displays 'No Midi Fighter Detected'. I've tried it in both USB ports as well as in OS X and Windows (on a 2012 MacBook Pro 15") and no luck.

When plugged in, the first button lights up white, and sequentially each button lights as the previous one is pressed. After all 16 have been pressed once, the top left and the one below stay lit blue.

I also don't seem to be getting any MIDI input registering in Ableton.

I've reached out to DJTT but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions to resolve this.

Just to clarify, I don't need to download anything other than MF Utility right? I just downloaded that and plugged it in.

Thanks
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by beaubryte
Try this:
Close the utility.
Connect the Spectra, then remove and uninstall the Spectra from the Windows device manager.
Let Windows search again for new hardware. Should work.
worked for me. cheers
Ronda Bovair
Originally Posted by Flowbik
The way I got it working (as per Supports- suggestion) was to do the following:

Plug in Midi Fighter, Press each button as it lights up sequentially, when the two corner buttons are lit, press the side button closest to it, then the next side button, then the next, then switch to the other side and do the same.

After that the MF should flash a couple times and work ok.
This worked perfect, thank you sooooo much!
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by beaubryte
Try this:
Close the utility.
Connect the Spectra, then remove and uninstall the Spectra from the Windows device manager.
worked for me. cheers
Vi Melroy
edit already said
Randolph Angeles
@beaubryte: Tried what you suggested but still doing exactly the same thing.
On the utility is says it reaches 50% complete and then when it tries to flash it, it fails to find the device.
Claire Auyeung
Try this:
Close the utility.
Randolph Angeles
Mine is still not working despite trying it on three different PC's now and following the instructions for re installing the firmware. It keeps telling me that no midi fighter in bootlaoder mode was detected on the utility log, even though when I look in the device manager menu it shows up as midi in bootloader mode.

@32digits yes I have tried reset on the device and tried factory reset through the utility neither seem to make any difference.
Latoria Kavulich
done.
Awilda Boggie
I believe someone should put this in the stickied bug thread too, like just in case
Ronda Bovair

Plug in Midi Fighter, Press each button as it lights up sequentially, when the two corner buttons are lit, press the side button closest to it, then the next side button, then the next, then switch to the other side and do the same.

This worked perfect, thank you sooooo much!
Maxine Perusquia

Awilda Boggie
anyone tried to reset?
Ronda Bovair
I am having the exact same problem described in the first post!
Help please!?
Adolf Hit
@philh89

Can you please email me as well at michael@djranking s.com and I can help you out!
Adolf Hit
@Flowbik

Sorry to hear about the trouble the unit is giving you, please send me a line at michael@djranking s.com and Ill help you out
Maxine Perusquia
Doesn't that method require the Utility to work though? I can't even get the utility to detect that I have the Spectra connected.

I've tried it on two different computers each running two OS's now and get the same issue. Frustrating as I haven't heard back from Support yet either. Really hoping its a software/firmware problem.
Latoria Kavulich
Please check this thread if you have not already http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=66784
Klara Kinnebrew
Always remember to practice safe Hex...
Maxine Perusquia
I can't do it, I can't get into the Utility to actually update the firmware.
Awilda Boggie
Just asking but did you try this:
community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=66784
Maxine Perusquia
Yep, exactly the same issue as I'm having. Hopefully I'll hear back from support shortly.
Randolph Angeles
When I check the log it says cannot find midi fighter in bootloader mode even though it displays on the device that it is.
Randolph Angeles
I gave it a go but it has just got stuck at 50% of flashing.
Maxine Perusquia
Yeah I just saved it as a .hex file and then loaded it into the MF Util. If it doesn't show as an option in MFU, and you're using a Mac, it's because OS X has converted it to a text file I believe so I just used a free HEX editor app to re-save it as a hex file and it could be opened in MFU.

I'm in England too so just conversing via email. Really hoping I haven't gotta send it back as that will a) take ages, and b) cost a fortune if I have to cover return costs.

I believe if we can't get it sorted I'll just ask for a refund, seems a few people have been having probs and I don't want to risk future issues with it if they're sketchy.
Randolph Angeles
Thanks I have sent them a support ticket I just really dont want to have to call them cos I'm in England and it will cost a fortune.

The Hex thing just appears as a list of binary text is that what it looked like to you?
Maxine Perusquia
Not sure if I'm supposed to share this file but here's the hex file:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33057988/0004000120130128.hex

Reset your MIDI Fighter using the reset button on the bottom with a paperclip or something.

In the MF Utility, go to Tools>MidiFighter>Load Custom Firmware > For a Classic or > Load HEX file.

When I try that I just get an error saying it failed to find a MF.
Randolph Angeles
how do you do that so that I can give it a try?
Maxine Perusquia
Hmm yeah it's a puzzling one.

Mine just doesn't seem to be recognized at all. Chris at DJTT recommended flashing with a new hex file but I can't even get that to work, it just won't pick up that anything is attached.
Randolph Angeles
At first it did the light thing like you said in your first post and then after I restarted it, it seemed to work fine so I tried to do the firmware update as mentioned in this post http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=66784 and all the lights went off. Now my utility wont recognize that it is connected and it just show the blue bootloader pattern.
Maxine Perusquia
What exactly did you do?
Randolph Angeles
I seemed to make some progress but now it is just stuck on bootloader mode and neither of my laptops will recognize it .
Maxine Perusquia
Just getting some assistance with it from Chris at DJTT. The support is great, but we haven't got it sorted yet. I'll post back with an update.
Randolph Angeles
I am having the same problem with mine.
I just tried following the manual set up instructions and all I get is the l.e.d's flash colors no menu mode.

any help would be much appreciated.
An Boldosser
Hey there,

I just received my Midi Fighter Spectra this morning and I'm having problems with it. The MF Util just displays 'No Midi Fighter Detected'. I've tried it in both USB ports as well as in OS X and Windows (on a 2012 MacBook Pro 15") and no luck.

When plugged in, the first button lights up white, and sequentially each button lights as the previous one is pressed. After all 16 have been pressed once, the top left and the one below stay lit blue.

I also don't seem to be getting any MIDI input registering in Ableton.

I've reached out to DJTT but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions to resolve this.

Just to clarify, I don't need to download anything other than MF Utility right? I just downloaded that and plugged it in.

Thanks
i notice when i plug things into USB for the first time its best to let them sit a minute for the device to be detected and drivers to be installed before playing with it

*also visit download link under spectra, make sure you have the latest utility installed, 2.3 i believe is the latest*

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy