Sharing vci-400 traktor mappings

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Sharing vci-400 traktor mappingsReply
Sharing vci-400 traktor mappings
Posted on: 23.09.2013 by Estell Mutka
I can't find a single mapping for my new vestax 400 that isn't bugged. I know the official mapping for the EGE edition (oh if only I could have afforded that one instead) don't work with the stock 400, but do any of the other mappings in the midimaps section for the EGE edition work with stock. i really would like to be able to use my shiny new controller, but right now it's a paper weight until I can find a mapping that works.

I tried to fix some of them I download and traktor midi mapping is way over my head, not a noob to midi, but wow this stuff was more than I could handle.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Slag
That worked perfectly, thanks!

I do wish we could have more modifiers per line though. I'm using one mod on the wheels so that they can be used to browse when in browse full screen, and another modifier for when the vinyl mode is on or off.
I absolutely agree - only two modifier condition slots per command is pretty much limiting. I suggested this feature as well as adding another set of at least 8 modifiers in NI community s about two years ago... They doesn't seem to care updating this since majority of users don't even know what modifiers are there for.
Branden Coalter
Originally Posted by Stewe
Maybe this can help:

I believe that's similar to what I've done, I've got the modifier on the vinyl button so I don't accidentally trigger the jog touch when I don't want it.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by tropikel
I believe that they changed scratch to jog turn to eliminate use of modifiers.
They have changed it in 2.5 when NI have separated deck page in to track deck and deck common tab. The scratch command was removed because it actually sounded good - I remember my button mapping trick with a backspin trigger which was awesome. The jog turn is a simple pitchbend function with adjustable sensitivity so you would still need to use modifier for toggle function or the hardware button that sends a different note or channel..

So jog turn controls tempo bend when jog touch isn't enabled, and scratch when it is. It took a while to get the settings right, but what I did was map the vinyl button as a modifier toggle and when it was set to 1, the jog touch sensor turned jog touch on, and when it was off you could touch the touch sensor without stopping playback.
Jog touch command don't work as a modifier so once you hold the track you would basically do scratches in the same rotary settings the pitchbend command is set for.

I also made separate jog turn functions, with different sensitivities, one being enabled when track was playing and one for when it wasn't, and I believe one for when jog touch was on.
Maybe this can help:

Kellie Myrum
I'm not sure if I have the jogs set up correctly, it looks like there used to be a command "scratch" and now it's "jog turn"

so I've got:
jog touch on - ch3 through ch6 D#2 that stops the track when touching the top of the platter
jog turn - ch3 through ch6 cc 19 that seems to do essentially the scratch function.
tempo bend stepless - ch3 through ch6 cc 19

does this look right or am I missing something else to get the jogs to function properly, they seem to move the song faster then I thought and the tempo bend is "funny" for lack of a better way to explain it.
Look under rotary sensitivity and adjust resolution for both bend and scratch to your taste.
Kellie Myrum
I've tried doing that, but for some reason it hasn't worked for me. Especially if I try and have the little page buttons lighting up to show which modifier value is selected. If i press each of them they all stay lit up rather than only one being lit up at a time.
Hey tropikel,

Do you have them set like this: http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=55271
Branden Coalter
Now when you have a four bank mode running just make sure to assign each of those values for corresponding group of commands.

page 1 - M2=1
page 2 - M2=2
page 3 - M2=3
page 4 - M2=4

That should do the trick
I've tried doing that, but for some reason it hasn't worked for me. Especially if I try and have the little page buttons lighting up to show which modifier value is selected. If i press each of them they all stay lit up rather than only one being lit up at a time.
Kellie Myrum
stewe do you have any suggestions for how to get the 2x4 grid of buttons at the top of each deck to be 4 seperate pages of functions? I'm guessing having 4 different functions on each button with each of them being mod2=1, mod2=2, mod2=3, and mod2=4...then having 4 buttons that each toggle on a state for mod 2 of 1, 2, 3, or 4. If that made any sense, lol.
Now when you have a four bank mode running just make sure to assign each of those values for corresponding group of commands.

page 1 - M2=1
page 2 - M2=2
page 3 - M2=3
page 4 - M2=4

That should do the trick
Estell Mutka
We can kindly ask mods to rename this thread

No need for creating a new one.
ahhhh, great idea.
Kellie Myrum

I do wish we could have more modifiers per line though. I'm using one mod on the wheels so that they can be used to browse when in browse full screen, and another modifier for when the vinyl mode is on or off.
I absolutely agree - only two modifier condition slots per command is pretty much limiting. I suggested this feature as well as adding another set of at least 8 modifiers in NI community s about two years ago... They doesn't seem to care updating this since majority of users don't even know what modifiers are there for.
Estell Mutka

Branden Coalter
Maybe this can help:

I believe that's similar to what I've done, I've got the modifier on the vinyl button so I don't accidentally trigger the jog touch when I don't want it.
Kellie Myrum
I believe that they changed scratch to jog turn to eliminate use of modifiers.
They have changed it in 2.5 when NI have separated deck page in to track deck and deck common tab. The scratch command was removed because it actually sounded good - I remember my button mapping trick with a backspin trigger which was awesome. The jog turn is a simple pitchbend function with adjustable sensitivity so you would still need to use modifier for toggle function or the hardware button that sends a different note or channel..

So jog turn controls tempo bend when jog touch isn't enabled, and scratch when it is. It took a while to get the settings right, but what I did was map the vinyl button as a modifier toggle and when it was set to 1, the jog touch sensor turned jog touch on, and when it was off you could touch the touch sensor without stopping playback.
Jog touch command don't work as a modifier so once you hold the track you would basically do scratches in the same rotary settings the pitchbend command is set for.

I also made separate jog turn functions, with different sensitivities, one being enabled when track was playing and one for when it wasn't, and I believe one for when jog touch was on.
Maybe this can help:

Branden Coalter
I believe that they changed scratch to jog turn to eliminate use of modifiers. So jog turn controls tempo bend when jog touch isn't enabled, and scratch when it is. It took a while to get the settings right, but what I did was map the vinyl button as a modifier toggle and when it was set to 1, the jog touch sensor turned jog touch on, and when it was off you could touch the touch sensor without stopping playback.
Kellie Myrum
I'm not sure if I have the jogs set up correctly, it looks like there used to be a command "scratch" and now it's "jog turn"

so I've got:
jog touch on - ch3 through ch6 D#2 that stops the track when touching the top of the platter
jog turn - ch3 through ch6 cc 19 that seems to do essentially the scratch function.

does this look right or am I missing something else to get the jogs to function properly, they seem to move the song faster then I thought and the tempo bend is "funny" for lack of a better way to explain it.
Look under rotary sensitivity and adjust resolution for both bend and scratch to your taste.
Estell Mutka

so I've got:

Estell Mutka
new mapping from viper is out. https://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/...ew.aspx?id=678
Rhonda Auriemma
I did the outputs that way for each button (in my case, I chose the small buttons below the pads on the B-deck side of the controller to be the mode selectors and those all trigger certain values of modifier 4):
This is for the first button on the left which sets modifier #4 to 0. The second button sets Mod 4 to 1, the third sets it to 2 and the last one to the right sets it to 3.
Out: Modifier #4 / Condition: Modifier #4 = 0 /
Out: Modifier #4 / Condition: Modifier #4 = 1 / invert
Out: Modifier #4 / Condition: Modifier #4 = 2 / invert
Out: Modifier #4 / Condition: Modifier #4 = 3 / invert
The commands above basically tell the button to light up, when modifier 4 is set to 0, and to NOT light up (=invert) when it is anything else (so when it is 1,2 or 3). Please note, that blend must not be enabled for the first button, else it won't light up.

If you want to check in my mappings just sort the controller manager view by commands and search for "modifier 4". I have partially started to document the button functions in the mapping comments, but this is quite low priority.
Vito Chesnut
Once the live input is switched, you simply press the four outside buttons on the bottom row to engage the jog fx. I actually use the pad effects much more. Especially the echo and freeze. The gate function is cool as well. The remix decks in that mapping do need some work, but that is because it was created before they unlocked the remix decks, so it was a work around. Personally, I just use cue points for my 'sampler'.
Kellie Myrum
Hey tropikel,

Do you have them set like this: http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=55271
Branden Coalter

page 1 - M2=1
page 2 - M2=2
page 3 - M2=3
page 4 - M2=4

That should do the trick
Kellie Myrum
stewe do you have any suggestions for how to get the 2x4 grid of buttons at the top of each deck to be 4 seperate pages of functions? I'm guessing having 4 different functions on each button with each of them being mod2=1, mod2=2, mod2=3, and mod2=4...then having 4 buttons that each toggle on a state for mod 2 of 1, 2, 3, or 4. If that made any sense, lol.

page 1 - M2=1
page 2 - M2=2
page 3 - M2=3
page 4 - M2=4

That should do the trick
Estell Mutka
Awesome, thanks for sharing it. I'm going to work on doing the 4 pages on the grid this weekend when I get a chance.

flpanhandler I tried vipers mapping because it is so packed full of features. I found the remix decks to be bugged out was my main problem. I also couldn't for the life of my figure out how to turn on and off the jog effects? The guide made it sound like it's the three position toggle switch on the front of the unit but all that did for me was change the remix decks to a live input.

Branden Coalter
Yeah I wish I could get the 4 pages on the grid working as well. I tried but gave up very quickly. I'll upload what I've got so far along with a description. I've got a working outline of a mapping at least. I mapped my old Numark Mixdeck from scratch with the jogFX as well, there are barely any nice mappings for that either..

So anyway:

- Mixer is mapped
- Browser push toggles browser layout.
- Hotcues are mapped to the grid, shift deletes
- Tempo faders are relative, rather than direct. Shift allows you to move it without changing the tempo
- Vinyl toggles whether the touch sensor on the jog wheels turns scratch on or not.
- The left bank of performance pads has play and cue controls for both A/B and C/D
- Middle bank of the performance pads has A/B cue/play and I'm planning on putting in jogFX like the EGE. Right now it just has a woosh type thing on the right hand pad (not including the cue/play buttons)
- Right bank is so far just cue/play for C/D.
- I haven't really worked on the effects sections yet, as I haven't decided how I want them.

Feel free to have a trawl through an take anything you like.

I'm hoping to have the finished product working side by side with the Spectra's DeckGrat mapping, but I'm going to need to tweak that to my specifications at some point as well. Busy busy.
Vito Chesnut
Sorry, thought you could DL from there, but not seeing it, anyways here is the TSI. https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?...sydeVCI400.tsi

This is basically Viper's map, which he is no longer supporting. I love the base mapping, but I feel it could use some improvements. Personally one of my big issues is editing the beat grid on the fly.

You can find the information for Viper's Mapping here: http://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/m...ew.aspx?id=565

In pad mode 1 I added these functions:

Top left most button and second to left button move the grid forward or backwards.
Left most button + shift = Bpm Lock on/off
Second to left + shift = add grid marker which will apply auto grid and allow you to pick where the first beat will be
Second to right + shift = decrease bpm of grid
Right most button + shift = increase bpm of grid

I also added a function where the track playing on Deck A is copied to Deck C by pressing the load button on A + shift, and the same for copying Deck B to Deck D. This allows for quick mixing of 3 or 4 tracks without having to switch the controller to that deck control, so that the focus can be on the two main decks.

One last function that I switched were the controls for the headphone cue and the master volume. To me putting master volume in the middle of everything is just asking for an accident mid mix, while having control of your head phone cueing is essential and having it on the front of the mixer makes it a bit inconvenient, IMO.

I also changed mixer type to the Z type mixer for full kills, and the Xone filters for a more colorless filter for mixing.
Estell Mutka

ahhhh, great idea.
Kellie Myrum

Estell Mutka
Thank you much for sharing your mapping! I really like how you have it set up. I'm glad we got this thread rolling. Although we probably should just make a new thread called since the title doesn't exactly convey what it's become and might be hard for new people to find it. I may do that later and then if you don't mind repost in there.

btw, i'm going to dig through your mapping to see how you got it to work that way, it's pretty awesome.
Rhonda Auriemma
Hey there,
I am also not satisfied with the official VCI-400 mapping, so I'm working on my own. It is constantly changing and not even close to be finished, but it can already be used to play out. The download link is below, so you can get a first look.
The mapping is based on the official mapping, but has some notable features:
- mixer section for decks C&D has been remapped to control FX decks 3&4 (since I usually play two decks, but with a modifier it can be switched to control the normal mixer stuff)
- jopwheels behaving like in the official mapping, but with two additonal shift buttons (right below the jogs) which allow to control FX decks 3&4 (delay feels so smooth, man) and browse through songs and the folder tree
- the two pad sections have 4 performance modes inspired by the EGE, but working a little different. these are the coolest part of my mapping, since it gives you 8 different pad modes. Right now, I have worked out 4 modes, but there are more to come and I'm constantly messing around with them. I named one mode the flux-masher: it activates 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 loops on pressing a button, which gives you some kind of beatmasher, when flux mode is enabled. Sounds awesome! Two other modes are loading and controlling FX (atm it's ramp delay and T3 delay): every effect has four buttons which enable that certain effect and have different parameters
- some other small things like flux buttons, several shift layers, unactivated crossfader (can be activated though with the same modifier that enables mixer mode for deck C&D and I have plans to let it also control FX)

http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/86734593/file.html

As I said it's work in progress and this mapping is completely trimmed for my needs and playstyle, so it might be hard to get used to some stuff. Here's also an old (!) picture which doesn't display everything and might even be wrong in some cases. It's just to give you an idea of how the mapping works.
Estell Mutka
Thank you for your support stewe, it's nice to have a master mapper offering help.

I'm glad you suggested to start with the mixer. I did, and it helped me learn a lot starting there since that's pretty straight forward. I then moved onto the browser functions to try using a modifier, and got it to work how i wanted after a while as well.

I'm going to move onto the effects section next. then probably post what i have after that because the next sections are probably where I'll have questions.

my overall plan is to make a pretty standard layout, using the 4x2 grid above the jog wheels as cue points. the bottom row under the jogs as sample decks/remix decks triggers.

The end goal is to have the pads above the jog wheels have 4 different modes like in their serato mapping. but first I want to get a stable stock, single mode mapping done to build off of.

Thanks for joining the discussion as well tropikel. I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat with the 400.
Branden Coalter
This thread has attracted my interest. I'm currently about halfway through making a mapping for mine. I want to use one of the banks for the performance pads for jogFX selection like on the EGE but I'm hella n00by so I can't get the modifiers to work how I want them to..
Kellie Myrum
Your best bet is to start one from scratch. Fully map the mixer, then FX sections and by that time possibly get to map decks more easily than tweaking other mappings at this point. Let me know when you have the first edit to post, if default mapping is that bad and you really can't find other people mappings fully operational I'm sure more guys would follow this thread and also do some testing till the mapping is perfect.
Estell Mutka
That sounds terrible! Maybe we should create a community mapping and support this controller with working tool.

You in to learn?

I don't have this controller to fully express it's potential but if you can get some basics on using learn function and adding commands I can give you a next hint.

yeah it really is terrible. Like whoever made it never actually used a controller or even saw it.

I would definitely be up for that. I am really wanting to learn how to do traktor midi mappings because I like tweaking the way my gear works in ableton and figured this will be the next adventure.

Right now I'm deconstructing other peoples mappings to try and figure out some basics. but I can tell it's going to be a steep learning curve.

It might take me a while to get a basic mapping put together for the obvious pieces and then can I post questions for you to look at?

Thank you.
Kellie Myrum
That sounds terrible! Maybe we should create a community mapping and support this controller with working tool.

You in to learn?

I don't have this controller to fully express it's potential but if you can get some basics on using learn function and adding commands I can give you a next hint.
Estell Mutka
How's official .tsi of the Vestax site work for ya?
pretty badly. I mean 4 buttons on the performance pad are wasted on clearing cues, why do you need 4 buttons for clearing cue points, wtf is that about. and the entire bottom row of six buttons under each jog wheel are wasted completely on nothing.

it sucks because that's the only mapping I've found that's not buggy and broken....but it's a horrible mapping.

What's so shocking is the controller is laid out with a pretty obvious way of mapping it, but the official mapping is just all over the place.
Kellie Myrum
How's official .tsi of the Vestax site work for ya?

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy