How to map an XY pad on TouchOSC

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: How to map an XY pad on TouchOSCReply
How to map an XY pad on TouchOSC
Posted on: 04.03.2011 by Eulah Tamkin
Hey guys I've been trying to fully map out the 'Simple' template provided by TouchOSC. basically I want to know how I can map out an XY pad so both the x plane and y plane work in conjunction with the effect selected. I've searched for the answer online and couldn't seem to find a direct answer. I was wondering if you guys could provide me with an answer, thanks alot!
Eulah Tamkin
Hey guys I've been trying to fully map out the 'Simple' template provided by TouchOSC. basically I want to know how I can map out an XY pad so both the x plane and y plane work in conjunction with the effect selected. I've searched for the answer online and couldn't seem to find a direct answer. I was wondering if you guys could provide me with an answer, thanks alot!
Vinnie Finken
Hi to all those struggling with XY pads in TouchOSC with Traktor!

I know this is an old thread but as it took me ages to figure out how to map XY pads so I thought I'd explain here, step by step, how I went about mapping one pad to a chained effect (TouchOSC / Traktor 2.6 Pro / Ipad / PC).

Step 1: Set up the template
1. In TouchOSC Editor, right click and add an XY pad
2. Click on the XY pad and then the Midi Tab in the left hand column. There will be a drop down box 'Enabled'. Choose 'Value x', check the box, and then assign a free Channel and Number (e.g. Channel 15 Number 1)
3. Now choose 'Value y' check the box, and assign a different Channel / Number (e.g. Channel 15 Number 2)
4. Finally choose 'Touch' from the drop down box, check the box and choose a 3rd Channel / Number (e.g. Channel 15 Number 3)
5. Sync the template to your Ipad in the editor (Start TouchOSC bridge, click green arrow in the editor then on the Ipad go to settings Layout > Add > [Your device name]

Step 2: Map Midi commands in Traktor
1. Open Controller Manager in Preferences and select the Tsi file you've been using from the 'Device' drop down box (or if starting from scratch, create a new one by clicking Add > Generic Midi. Make sure In and Out is TouchOSC.

2. Add in and map the Dry/wet volume to Ch15.CC.001 (i.e. the x axis):

FX Unit > Dry/Wet Adjust (Fader / Knob - Direct - FX Unit 1):

3. Finally, add in and map the 3 volume knobs to Ch15.CC.002 (i.e. the y axis):

FX Unit > Knob 1, Knob 2, Knob 3 (Fader / Knob - Direct - FX Unit 1)

4. Add in and map the following commands to Ch15.CC.003 (i.e. the touch function):

Mixer > FX Unit 1 On (Mapping Details: Button - Hold - Device target or Deck of your choosing)
FX Unit > Unit On (Mapping details: Button - Hold - FX Unit 1)
FX Unit > FX Unit Mode Selector (Mapping Details: Button - Direct- FX Unit 1; Button details: Group)
FX Unit > Button 1, Button 2, Button 3 (Mapping Details: Button - Hold - FX Unit 1)

For knobs 1-3 I wanted to have a chained effect Iceverb, Peak Filter, Reverb (but this could easily be replaced by other effects of your choosing or a single effect with its 3 parameters):

FX Unit > Effect Selector 1, Effect Selector 2, Effect Selector 3 (Button - Direct - FX Unit 1; Iceverb, Peak Filter, Reverb respectively)

Hope this has helped anyone struggling out there as I was!
Reba Harsey
you have to manually set the midi cc values in traktor to match the ones in osculator to get this to work properly. For example, if I have a filter 92 I would set effect parameter one (HP) to Ch.001.CC.000 (or whatever value corresponds to your x axis) and effect parameter three (LP) to Ch.001.CC.001 hope this helps, I was having the same problem myself.
Chasidy Heckenbach
i haven't used touchosc but surely it would send one cc for the x-axis and one for the y-axis (or note values ofc) whenever the pad gets touched or moved.

if learning in traktor is the issue just enter the values manually.

you mean it's still sending out the cc values after you touch it every few seconds or (more likely) the setting in traktor isnt get reset as you expected?

connect touchosc to something like midiox to see what's really coming out of it.

i'd expect it to only send data when movement is detected on the touchpad/toucscreen you're using with touchosc?
Neomi Ilten
I've been having some problems with this as well.

How have you guys set up the Osculator part of it? I tried having it send two different midi signals believeing it would just read it as two faders but it didnt work. For some reason even if I wasnt touching the pad it would still stay activated.
Libbie Deutchman
Do you know how to map everything else in TouchOSC? It's no different.

It's treated as 2 faders, to assign you just move on the X axis and move on the Y axis for whatever you're mapping them to.
Tatum Ansaldo
I assume that the x axis acts as a fader and so does the y axis, so pick your 2 parameters and assign them to an axis each.

Play with combinations, it would probably work well with something like the beatmasher (chained mode, using one axis for D/W and one for rate).
Eulah Tamkin
I basically want to find out how to map an XY pad to a traktor pro effect or series of effects. I would like to know how to get this to work properly, also if anyone had suggestions on what effect/effects I should use for the XY pad.
Libbie Deutchman
What are you stuck on about it?
Eulah Tamkin
Bump, I would still like to find out the answer to my question, please help!

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy