What are the best DJ turntables in the market right now?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: What are the best DJ turntables in the market right now?Reply
What are the best DJ turntables in the market right now?
Posted on: 01.07.2013 by Ocie Terek
My numark ttxusb's are acting real funny, so I'm hoping to sell them. I'm real disappointed in numarks cause I only had them for a year. I'm looking for some good durable turntables. I'm torn between the technics m5g, stanton st 150, and the vestax pdx3000. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of each product. Or maybe someone could recommend another turntable I haven't mentioned. I'm leaning towards getting technics because you know technics are part of dj history and my dicers can fit them perfectly, but that means I have to save up a lot longer to afford them. That's why I would like to know what's the best dj turntable in the market right now, stantons, vestax, or technics?
Lise Kleinhaus
Originally Posted by matrick
Stanton ST-150/Audio Technica LP1240/Reloop RP-6000 etc... great decks.
+1 I use a Pair of Reloop 6000 and these are very good Turntables.

I always wanted to buy technics 1210, but new these are tooo expensive and every used/Second-Hand Technics 1210 i check has some problems or defects and so on. So i buy a new pair of Reloop 6000 and they are really good.
Ocie Terek
My numark ttxusb's are acting real funny, so I'm hoping to sell them. I'm real disappointed in numarks cause I only had them for a year. I'm looking for some good durable turntables. I'm torn between the technics m5g, stanton st 150, and the vestax pdx3000. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of each product. Or maybe someone could recommend another turntable I haven't mentioned. I'm leaning towards getting technics because you know technics are part of dj history and my dicers can fit them perfectly, but that means I have to save up a lot longer to afford them. That's why I would like to know what's the best dj turntable in the market right now, stantons, vestax, or technics?
Nelida Ghouse
I'd get a pair of 1200s if I only had 1 setup. Super OEMs as setup #2, and Vestax PDX 3000s for setup #3

Agree w/ coolout the Super OEMs are next best thing. The thing I like most is that they basically copied a lot of the good stuff about 1200s and didn't try to re-invent the wheel. I like the Str8-150's because the straight arm holds the groove like no one's business. I don't really like how the power off and brake work though, they're way quicker than the 1200s but not in a good way... it's really hard to replicate the typical brake sound you get with 1200s, and when you're doing power downs they don't decelerate smoothly. The other drawback vs. 1200s is that the torque is pretty noticeable when backspinning/looping/juggling and it's harder to do some stuff.

So unless I'm actually using the extra features of the Super OEM I prefer 1200s. But if I want the extra features I'd rather use Super OEMs than TTX/Vestax/etc. TTX have more problems than just breaking down, the platter is doo-doo for backspinning/scratching/etc, and the tonearm was doo-doo at staying in the groove because it's a separate piece and it shakes around and stuff. They were dope when they first came out, but now there are just so many better options for turntables with extra features I wouldn't consider Numarks. The one redeeming thing is that, as coolout says, given their rep you can find them dirt cheap, so although they're my least fav of the batch they're probably one of the only ones you'll find regularly for <$150.
Hermine Lally
I own both a pair Vestax PDXs and Numark TTX. I've also spun on 1200s in at least 30-40 different clubs. For the past 3 years I've done cruise ships where I'm using ST8-150s for a month at a time. My opinions are based on real world use not second hand info.

The "Super OEM" (ST8-150,LP1240,etc) is basically the best DJ turntable ever made. It was designed when the patent on the Technics 1200 ran out. They copied the design, then improved it. It actually has the same if not better build quality as a 1200 and most of the major components (tone arm, audio cables, lights, etc) are USER REPLACEABLE. This is huge as many of the second-hand 1200s I've seen always have some sort of issue, some that can only be fixed by a repair shop. For that reason I would never buy used 1200s and often suggest against it. The only downsides to the Super OEM is that they are HEAVY vs. the other higher end turntables, they don't have the iconic Tech 1200 brand name, and still on the pricey side.

The Vestax PDXs on the other hand in comparison to the 1200s are like driving a convertible luxury sports car. The feel is different (greater torque, breaking, and more control w/ultra pitch), for that reason folks either love them (turntablists usually) or hate it. They are also lighter (ABS plastic) and easier to carry, which is why I prefer to take them on mobile gigs. Although the surface is plastic, the build quality is excellent and they don't feel hollow (like the Stanton T-series for instance). I've been using mine nearly every weekend (except when I'm in the Caribbean) for at least 7 years with virtually no problems.

The Numark TTXs are somewhat in the middle. It's a solid, capable turntable with many features, but a little bit below the Super OEM in terms of build quality. Replacement parts are easy to find and install though. Some the earlier models had issues with overheating and torque going bad, but it's an easy fix. Because of the tarnished reputation you can find them dirt cheap used and ultimately they are going to be better performing and easier to maintain than any pair of used 1200s. I bought mine for dirt cheap and they work fine in my studio for practicing, making mixes, and as a backup pair.

To wrap up here's my turntable preference:
1. Super OEM
2. Vestax PDX (a very close second)
3. Tech 12s (only if new or like new condition)
4. Numark TTx (or TT-500)
5. used or beat up Tech 12s (very distant)
6. Second tier turntables like the Numark TT-200 or Stanton T62/92
Federico Vilas
I've debated getting the vestax or the Stanton's both seem to be great ttables... I've still stuck with my 1200s though Bc i know how to fix them. When I had the Pdx2000s they were ok but felt breakable to me, I owned a ttx 500 and NEVER had issues
Emelina Chillson
You cant build muscle just letting the weights sit on the floor.
Malka Wickerham
I used to have the Stantons and I loved them. Unfortunately they got stolen. The only difference I really noticed between Techs is that cosmetically the Stantons would easily get scratches on the top surface, and I like the buttons on the Technics better. Performance wise they were pretty identical except for faster torque on the Stantons. Stantons are heavier as well. Heavy as hell actually.
Emelina Chillson
Ive always loved stantons. They are a great super oem that can handle abuse if you need to take them to gigs.
Lise Kleinhaus
Originally Posted by matrick
+1 I use a Pair of Reloop 6000 and these are very good Turntables.

I always wanted to buy technics 1210, but new these are tooo expensive and every used/Second-Hand Technics 1210 i check has some problems or defects and so on. So i buy a new pair of Reloop 6000 and they are really good.
Bethann Olortegui
Emile Blaikie
Technics SL-1210M5G recently announced SL1200-MK6 having exclusive pitch control you can go for this.
Dia Laryea
If it ain't a 1200, it ain't worthy.

All jokes aside, you could check out the Stanton STR8-150's.
Ervin Calvery
Go for Technics - they don't need to be brand new, or mk5g - mk5, mk3d, and mk2 are all fine.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy