Recording Vinyl - Help / Tips

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Recording Vinyl - Help / TipsReply
Recording Vinyl - Help / Tips
Posted on: 08.07.2013 by Mahalia Simono
Easy all.

Pulling my hair out at the moment.

I'm trying to record my collection but can't seem to get clean recordings of my tracks.
I'm recording through Traktor so it's basically going through my mixer Pioneer DJM 800, into my Audio 10 sound card and recording Via the traktor software. I'm recording all the tracks making sure the line output is no more than -2/-1 db and then boosting the volume in my editing software. However, there is always surface noise and no matter what noise reduction software (either Audicity or wave pad) it just does't sound right!?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is the recording signal going through too many components i.e. mixer, then sound card? Or is there any other tips?

I have been told that a USB turntable is my best bet - can anyone concur? if so which model should i be looking it?

Thanks in advance - I've tried to muddle through but i'm getting no where. Help would be appreciated

DR
Celestine Porebski
Originally Posted by bumtsch
Also, go straight into the A10's phono preamp, not through the mixer.
This! And if the signal seems to quiet, adjust the gain in the soundcard settings tool (had to push my Audio 8 to the highest setting, but then the recordings were fine).
Mahalia Simono
Easy all.

Pulling my hair out at the moment.

I'm trying to record my collection but can't seem to get clean recordings of my tracks.
I'm recording through Traktor so it's basically going through my mixer Pioneer DJM 800, into my Audio 10 sound card and recording Via the traktor software. I'm recording all the tracks making sure the line output is no more than -2/-1 db and then boosting the volume in my editing software. However, there is always surface noise and no matter what noise reduction software (either Audicity or wave pad) it just does't sound right!?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is the recording signal going through too many components i.e. mixer, then sound card? Or is there any other tips?

I have been told that a USB turntable is my best bet - can anyone concur? if so which model should i be looking it?

Thanks in advance - I've tried to muddle through but i'm getting no where. Help would be appreciated

DR
Danae Dumler
Depending on your mixer, I'd go straight through the mixer's preamp rather than the A10 Either way though the other posters are right, there's no point in going through both.
Bethann Olortegui
Also make sure your stylus is clean
Mahalia Simono
cheers for the replies guys - gonna do another bath at the batch at the weekend. I'll let you know how i get on !
Celestine Porebski
Originally Posted by bumtsch
This! And if the signal seems to quiet, adjust the gain in the soundcard settings tool (had to push my Audio 8 to the highest setting, but then the recordings were fine).
Delila Vandommelen
Gaynell Rydberg
PMing it to you.

edit:

PM me your email. It is too long.
Mahalia Simono
Right ok that's where i'm going wrong already - yeah the records are clean.

What other gear are you talking about to preserve the signal?

A box of records is much less hassle !
Gaynell Rydberg
You should record into Audacity, not Traktor.

Are your records clean? USB turn table is okay, but if you want true lossless quality then you'll need a bunch of other gear that preserves the analog signal.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy