thinking to upgrade to cdj's

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: thinking to upgrade to cdj'sReply
thinking to upgrade to cdj's
Posted on: 10.07.2013 by Vannessa Annen
hey guys i am wondering if i should upgrade to cdj's.
At the moment i have a traktor s2. This is a 2 channel controller. i have been using this for about 2 years now. Im believeing i should get some cdjs. i dj partys but not full on hard partys.....so far i have done 16ths and stuff
Please tell me what i should do. im only 14.......
i also want to know some answers to these questions-
- Can you use your laptop with cdjs
- is it good to upgrade
- What are pros and cons about upgrading to cdjs

Thank you
Vannessa Annen
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
HOLY FUCK... those EQ knobs dude. AND THE GAIN.

You need to learn the basics before you even CONSIDER buying new gear. EQ and gain knobs are at 100% when they're in the center, not when they're all the way to the right. Turning them to the right artificially boosts that band of the EQ, and doing it too much will introduce distortion. It'll sound like shit, and possibly damage one of the components in your signal chain.

And before you give the likely response of, "well everyone in that video was enjoying it", the audience don't have a fucking clue about quality. They're drunk. You shouldn't be, and it's your responsibility to make sure you don't do stupid shit like that.
Hey man i did learn the hard way on that evening . i blew both of my speakers.........I am just a beginner and i am still learning as we always still learn things each day. i am very sure many people have done this before. And also believe about coming onto a thread and come swear on it. You can be nice and actually give advice as a nice person would.
Yukiko Spruell
Either way, it clearly reeks of "no clue" lol.
Be gentle, hes only young! He wont be the first to crank everything up to max and I am pretty sure he wont be the last.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by makar1
The Master position counteracts the gains, and I'm guessing standard headroom has not been adjusted which counteracts the max EQs.

It's not a typical way of gain staging but the music doesn't seem to be clipping in the video, so the only possible issue is an uneven frequency response.
Master is set to -6dB, gains are +12dB each.

Doreen Schurle
Master is turned down quite a bit so it could be ok. The amplitude of the waveform is also quite small, and I didn't see any red clipping on the Traktor main out meter.

Does equally turning all the EQs up to max shape the sound or will it be level?
Depends on which EQ curve setting he has selected in Traktor; if it's P600 or Xone then there'll be significant shaping in between the curves, if it's on Z ISO it'll be a linear boost. Either way, it's not good. Especially with gain cranked to 100%, and presumably autogain enabled.

We're talking about like +24dB of boost in total.
Isis Genwright
CDJs are a lot more expensive than the controller, but its worth it. I feel a lot more in touch with the music since they force me to use my ears more than my eyes. It's just about preference and budget, but I don't regret buying them at all. I used my controller for the first time in months and I sounded a whole lot better on it after using cdj's. the main reason I got them is not having to use a computer. This is nice cause it takes a few seconds to start playing without screwing with a comp
Dedra Kreinbring
Back to the main issue, as far as getting CDJs, the main advantage to me is being able to practice and get used to a club standard set up. A secondary advantage is if you want to be able to not take your laptop to gigs. A third a of less importance is that it "looks the part" so to speak.

My advice would be if you plan on playing in clubs in the near future, buy some CDJs second hand and then sell them on for a similar price when you are comfortable with them.

If you are going into this looking at features vs features of a cdj and controller, then the software will always win.

I can do more on my s2 than I can on my CDJs and 2 channel mixer, but it doesn't necessarily mean I enjoy it more.
Vannessa Annen
Hey guys stop giving me hate on my djing...i learnt the hard way of blowing my speakers. im sure most people have done this before. im still learning.
Vannessa Annen

You need to learn the basics before you even CONSIDER buying new gear. EQ and gain knobs are at 100% when they're in the center, not when they're all the way to the right. Turning them to the right artificially boosts that band of the EQ, and doing it too much will introduce distortion. It'll sound like shit, and possibly damage one of the components in your signal chain.

And before you give the likely response of, "well everyone in that video was enjoying it", the audience don't have a fucking clue about quality. They're drunk. You shouldn't be, and it's your responsibility to make sure you don't do stupid shit like that.
Hey man i did learn the hard way on that evening . i blew both of my speakers.........I am just a beginner and i am still learning as we always still learn things each day. i am very sure many people have done this before. And also believe about coming onto a thread and come swear on it. You can be nice and actually give advice as a nice person would.
Olin Easley
I wonder how he's never blown up any music systems in the two years he's been DJing.

Back to the topic, why do you believe you'd be upgrading if you use CDJs? When you answer that question, then we can tell you if it's worth it.
Brunilda Kora
I've never done it. In fact, I've NEVER cranked ANYTHING all the way up. That's asking for trouble.

I don't believe I've ever had a volume or EQ dial at max.

In fact, I believe the oly dial I've exer cranked is an effects parameter...
Nedra Fresneda
I'm sure everyone in here has done that before. No one is born knowing
Yukiko Spruell
Be gentle, hes only young! He wont be the first to crank everything up to max and I am pretty sure he wont be the last.
Brunilda Kora
Hoooray!!!
Nedra Fresneda
Doreen Schurle
The Master position counteracts the gains, and I'm guessing standard headroom has not been adjusted which counteracts the max EQs.

It's not a typical way of gain staging but the music doesn't seem to be clipping in the video, so the only possible issue is an uneven frequency response.
Master is set to -6dB, gains are +12dB each.

Alphonso Deitchman

Doreen Schurle
Master is turned down quite a bit so it could be ok. The amplitude of the waveform is also quite small, and I didn't see any red clipping on the Traktor main out meter.

Depends on which EQ curve setting he has selected in Traktor; if it's P600 or Xone then there'll be significant shaping in between the curves, if it's on Z ISO it'll be a linear boost. Either way, it's not good. Especially with gain cranked to 100%, and presumably autogain enabled.

We're talking about like +24dB of boost in total.
Denis Marzilli
Not to pile on, but what I've learned about mastering seems to suggest that twisting your EQs all the way to the right will tell your gear to try to boost those signals, effectively trying to add signal that isn't there. It strikes me as similar to blowing up a digital photograph until you can see all the pixels. An analog mixer might be a little more forgiving, but software will most assuredly add noise. You would be better off adjusting the mains and using the EQ knobs to pull overbearing signals down if needed.

More on topic, I'll echo the other voices here saying that the choice to incorporate CDJs is entirely up to you. I haven't found them to be terribly different than a jogwheel controller, but my experience with them certainly isn't exhaustive.

Whatever you decide I hope it works well for you and you keep having fun!
Alphonso Deitchman

Gaynell Rydberg

Nearly blew my speakers when I clicked the link lol
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by DISaS73R
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

I really don't want to judge, but ... WHY (0:10)

Olin Easley
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

I really don't want to judge, but ... WHY (0:10)
Hellen Mindrup
Wait for CDj's man

Get them once you're making progress in a few years.
Kristofer Krauel
Just out of curiosity before I give you some details, why do you believe CDJs are an "upgrade" from an S2?
Not this again please!!

However, OP why do YOU want to "upgrade"? If you cant answer this question then the answer should be a resounding NO! Buying CDJ's won't make you a better DJ. In my opinion the main reason for buying CDJ's would be if you wanted to get a feel for the kind of gear you should expect to find in a club. At 14yrs old club DJing is a LONG way off. You don't want to be carrying this gear to 16th birthday parties. Massive overkill and from a safety aspect its not good for a kid to be transporting thousands of dollars worth of gear to and from birthday parties.

Keep your S2. Practice with an insane desire to improve yourself and keep on keeping on!!
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by DJ LUCA
hey guys i am wondering if i should upgrade to cdj's.
At the moment i have a traktor s2. This is a 2 channel controller. i have been using this for about 2 years now. Im believeing i should get some cdjs. i dj partys but not full on hard partys.....so far i have done 16ths and stuff
Please tell me what i should do. im only 14.......
i also want to know some answers to these questions-
- Can you use your laptop with cdjs
- is it good to upgrade
- What are pros and cons about upgrading to cdjs

Thank you

visit my dj page on facebook

www.facebook.com/DJLUCAOFFICIAL
Just out of curiosity before I give you some details, why do you believe CDJs are an "upgrade" from an S2?
Darron Ambroise
Go DVS and use your controller for gigs
Alphonso Deitchman
If you want to continue using a laptop it is not a good upgrade/idea. All the pros and cons are a search away.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy