Disable Quartz Lock on the 1200

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Disable Quartz Lock on the 1200Reply
Disable Quartz Lock on the 1200
Posted on: 31.12.2011 by Tashia Mcdunn
So I'm preparing to take my turntables apart to do various mods to them like getting them Powder Coated, putting in LED lights, replacing a damaged tonearm and just general tuneup since I've had them for about 20 years now and I have never really done any maintenance to them.

I was reading this article about disabling the quartz lock:

http://technics.junglist.pl/hacking_technics.html

Has anyone done the quartz lock hack to they're decks? Is it worth doing while my tables are gutted?
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Dj freestyle
I'm so old school, that my original 1200s were modded by Larry levan in his queens, ny warehouse.
Holy shit! Awesome!!

EDIT: Just noticed your post count (3); welcome to the DJ Tech Tools community !
Alden Stilling
Originally Posted by Panotaker
Glad you found the quartz lock mod helpful. If you need any help doing it, let me know.
Not necessarily the most comfortable taking something like my 1200 apart, and it seems that there are very ppl that know how to do it anymore. The old pair that i had modded (20 years ago probably) had the quartz lock pressure reduced, not eliminated, if I recall correctly. Thats the mod that i want to get done, I believe I had it reduced to 3 or 2.5 psi (if that makes any sense). Am i remembering correctly? There were some other companies that had a quartz shut off switch, but that made the table too loose.

Again, anyone in the boston area that knows how to this mod? thanks.
Alden Stilling
I used to have any old pair modded as panotaker describes. Those tables have been long gone, and want to mod another pair I have now. It's really an awesome mod. Thx.

I like how at the end of the article, in big bold letters, it says "This Article Is Copyrighted"! I guess I should have put those same words on my article, since that guy stole that article and my pictures from my original article which can be found here: http://www.new-line.nl/?i=62 THose are my pictures that I took of my turntable, which I still have. Now back to the mod. The best way to describe the mod is to turn on your turntable, look at the red strobe, now press on the platter with your finger. As you apply pressure, look at the red strobe and you will see the platter starts jerking trying to get back up to speed. It doesn't slow down smoothly. What the quartz lock mod does is, it eliminates that jerking action. With the quartz lock mod, when you apply pressure to the platter, the platter will slow down smoothly and not jerk. It will slow down and maintain a constant speed as you keep pressure on the platter without the platter jerking, just like if you slowed it down with the pitch control. As you release the pressure, the platter will speed back up smoothly. Why would you want to do this? I'll explain.

The 1200mkII came out in 1978, before that, most DJ's that beatmixed used the Technics SL-1100A. Keep in mind that back in 1978, it was the Disco era, and that means that the music was made with a live drummer. Which means that the beat was very inconsistent. To keep the live drummer beats in sync, we would ride the platter by applying pressure to the SL-1100A platter to slow it down and speed it up, that is how we rode the pitch. The 1100A also had the pitch control right next to the platter, so you could press on the platter and adjust the pitch with one hand at the same time. When the 1200mkII came out, you couldn't ride the platter because it would jerk like I mention earlier. Now I don't know who came up with the quartz lock mod in the first place. The story I got was that a lot of DJ's complained to Technics about the jerking action, and Technics released the mod as service bulletin to get rid of the jerking action. The mod doesn't get rid of the quartz either, that was what we called the mod back then and the name just stuck.

So basically what the mod does it makes the 1200mkII behave like the old SL-1100A as far as pressing on the platter is concerned. All the torque is still there, the quartz still maintains a constant speed, it just makes it easier to beat mix. With todays music, you don't need to do the quartz lock mod, since most of todays music is recorded with a drum machine and you don't have to constantly ride the pitch like you do with live drummer tracks. I do the quartz lock mod to all my 1200's, because that is the way I learned how to mix. The only problem with learning how to mix with a quartz lock modded turntable is if you go mix on somebody else's 1200 that is not modded, you are going to have to ride the pitch control instead of pressing on the platter.

All 1200s can be modified except for the 1200 m5g. The m5g has a digital pitch control and as far as I know, there is no way to do the quartz lock mod to it. The quartz lock mod is easy to do and undo. Just cut one wire, and one resistor, and adjust the blue pot. To undo it, just solder the resistor back together and the wire, and readjust the pot.
Vallie Pac
Glad to see that the mod worked out for you.
Alden Stilling
the mod is exactly like I remember it. Thank you!
Alden Stilling
I've got a lot of moving pieces. One is installing serato and a rane 62 with this turntable. The mid should not effect my ability to use this turntable with serato, should it? I'm trouble shooting soe stuff and cnnot get scratch live to run. Thanks again, this was te exact mod I wanted to use. Vinyl is working through the rane post mod just not sl.
Brunilda Kora

I'm so old school, that my original 1200s were modded by Larry levan in his queens, ny warehouse.

Welcome to DJTT.
Brunilda Kora

Welcome to DJTT.
Danae Dumler
Holy shit! Awesome!!

EDIT: Just noticed your post count (3); welcome to the DJ Tech Tools community !
Danae Dumler
I thought quartz lock and the center detent were two different issues -- besides mixing around the zero, before the mod, my mk2s would self-correct when you slowed down the platter, leading to a choppy/jumpy reaction as you try to adjust the pitch (whether or not it was at zero). Since the mod they were totally smooth. Am I confusing this with a different mod? (I have since upgraded to m5gs so haven't touched the mk2s in a while)
Rolanda Clodfelder
I see alot of weird misconceptions on this post about what the quartz lock "actually" does and when it affects the turntables operation ...

Simply put it engages an exact 33 or 45 RPM when engaged (light turned on) at the ZERO point on the fader it is NOT used by the turntable at any other time, It does not effect the timing or torque in any way during operation. DJ's would VERY rarely play records at exactly the correct speed anyhow unless beat-matching somehow managed to land you in the click zone with no way out.

You do NOT need Quartz lock for DJ'ing plain and simple. More to the point it is a serious inconvenience if the pitch controls slightly uncalibrated and you are trying to mix close to the Zero Point on the fader.

Hence the reason many other DJ Turntable manufactures (Starting with Vestax) removed center clicks from their turntables.

Sorry needed to get that out
Alden Stilling
I'm so old school, that my original 1200s were modded by Larry levan in his queens, ny warehouse. Thx for help!
Vallie Pac
It is the same mod, there is no other mod. It doesn't get rid of the quartz lock, it just reduces the pressure like you describe. All the torque is still there. There is nothing hard about doing this mod. You lift off the platter, take off the black plastic cover underneath the platter, then cut one resistor and one wire, that's all there is to it. Takes 5 minutes. My article describes exactly how to do it, it's a piece of cake.
Alden Stilling
Glad you found the quartz lock mod helpful. If you need any help doing it, let me know.
Not necessarily the most comfortable taking something like my 1200 apart, and it seems that there are very ppl that know how to do it anymore. The old pair that i had modded (20 years ago probably) had the quartz lock pressure reduced, not eliminated, if I recall correctly. Thats the mod that i want to get done, I believe I had it reduced to 3 or 2.5 psi (if that makes any sense). Am i remembering correctly? There were some other companies that had a quartz shut off switch, but that made the table too loose.

Again, anyone in the boston area that knows how to this mod? thanks.
Vallie Pac
Alden Stilling
I used to have any old pair modded as panotaker describes. Those tables have been long gone, and want to mod another pair I have now. It's really an awesome mod. Thx.

I like how at the end of the article, in big bold letters, it says "This Article Is Copyrighted"! I guess I should have put those same words on my article, since that guy stole that article and my pictures from my original article which can be found here: http://www.new-line.nl/?i=62 THose are my pictures that I took of my turntable, which I still have. Now back to the mod. The best way to describe the mod is to turn on your turntable, look at the red strobe, now press on the platter with your finger. As you apply pressure, look at the red strobe and you will see the platter starts jerking trying to get back up to speed. It doesn't slow down smoothly. What the quartz lock mod does is, it eliminates that jerking action. With the quartz lock mod, when you apply pressure to the platter, the platter will slow down smoothly and not jerk. It will slow down and maintain a constant speed as you keep pressure on the platter without the platter jerking, just like if you slowed it down with the pitch control. As you release the pressure, the platter will speed back up smoothly. Why would you want to do this? I'll explain.

The 1200mkII came out in 1978, before that, most DJ's that beatmixed used the Technics SL-1100A. Keep in mind that back in 1978, it was the Disco era, and that means that the music was made with a live drummer. Which means that the beat was very inconsistent. To keep the live drummer beats in sync, we would ride the platter by applying pressure to the SL-1100A platter to slow it down and speed it up, that is how we rode the pitch. The 1100A also had the pitch control right next to the platter, so you could press on the platter and adjust the pitch with one hand at the same time. When the 1200mkII came out, you couldn't ride the platter because it would jerk like I mention earlier. Now I don't know who came up with the quartz lock mod in the first place. The story I got was that a lot of DJ's complained to Technics about the jerking action, and Technics released the mod as service bulletin to get rid of the jerking action. The mod doesn't get rid of the quartz either, that was what we called the mod back then and the name just stuck.

So basically what the mod does it makes the 1200mkII behave like the old SL-1100A as far as pressing on the platter is concerned. All the torque is still there, the quartz still maintains a constant speed, it just makes it easier to beat mix. With todays music, you don't need to do the quartz lock mod, since most of todays music is recorded with a drum machine and you don't have to constantly ride the pitch like you do with live drummer tracks. I do the quartz lock mod to all my 1200's, because that is the way I learned how to mix. The only problem with learning how to mix with a quartz lock modded turntable is if you go mix on somebody else's 1200 that is not modded, you are going to have to ride the pitch control instead of pressing on the platter.

All 1200s can be modified except for the 1200 m5g. The m5g has a digital pitch control and as far as I know, there is no way to do the quartz lock mod to it. The quartz lock mod is easy to do and undo. Just cut one wire, and one resistor, and adjust the blue pot. To undo it, just solder the resistor back together and the wire, and readjust the pot.
Karolis Petrauskas
If you a little tech savvy I'd look into youtube video's by "Viper Frank". He has some great step by step videos on how to take apart you 1200's. The pitch fader is pretty easy to get to. Just take little bags and separate your screws. You can even take some pictures if it makes it easier. I've taken apart my decks a bunch of times, it's not really hard if you follow the videos.
Tashia Mcdunn
Originally Posted by djproben
Is there any place you can get these mods done in LA for a reasonable price? The place I get work done charges $75 just to open the turntable. Not sure I want to bother but if I do I'm probably not going to want to do it myself.
I believe there's some dudes that advertise on craigslist... I had also seen some youtube vids from some guy that was doing these crazy ghost graphics that showed up with black light and some tacky neon tonearms but I believe he was in Lancaster...
Danae Dumler
Is there any place you can get these mods done in LA for a reasonable price? The place I get work done charges $75 just to open the turntable. Not sure I want to bother but if I do I'm probably not going to want to do it myself.
Zetta Radlinger
What's to gain by modifying?
Put your unmodified turntable's pitch control in the center and start it rotating. Look at the big row of strobe dots in front of the red light emitted below the power switch and notice how they are standing still. Now touch your finger to the platter very gently to shift the position of the dots by no more than one dot's width. Remove your finger and notice how the dot slid back to its original position. If you are doing very accurate beat mixing, and touch your finger to the platter to slow down a record who's beat is slightly ahead of the other, you will correct it as long as your finger is on the platter, but as soon as you remove your finger, the song's beat will be ahead again when the turntable slides the dots ahead. The same thing applies inversely to pushing the record ahead. This is what many good DJs refer to as "The Quartz Fighting the Mix." Making the modification disables the turntable's abiltity to fight the mix.

Why does it "Fight The Mix?"
The turntable has a three-phase motor, similar in concept to the stepper motors used in intelligent lighting fixtures. The full 360 degree rotation is broken up into fractional degree increments refered to as steps. Let's say that the turntable's motor had 360 steps in one rotation, therefore it would have one degree per step. Actually, it seems that two of the large dots are about one step. As it spins, the motor is staying in the middle of a step. If you slow the platter down and fight its position within the width of half of one step, it will recenter in the step once you remove your finger. If you fight its position beyond one-half of a step, the motor will jump into the next step. This is a result of the turntable's phase detection system, which can be disabled.
Zetta Radlinger
No its not
Freddie Henrichs
Keep in mind that back in 1978, it was the Disco era, and that means that the music was made with a live drummer. Which means that the beat was very inconsistent.
Nice, I tell other dj's that when mixing disco/high energy...........they're like 'huh?'.
Zetta Radlinger
yes this has nothing to do with the center spot on the pitch fader, this has to do with touching the platter- the quartz lock makes it try to catch back up. And you can see this in the Stroboscope- press your finger on the platter with the table on and running and you will notice the balls on the platter lit by the stroboscope will be jerking around- this is whats called fighting the quartz
Brunilda Kora
Originally Posted by bigbeatzz
I installed MK3 faders on my MKII
Interesting - tell me more. How easy was this?
Tashia Mcdunn
Thank you for some of the clarification Panotaker!

I believe I would appreciate this mod because I often pinch the spindle or rub the side of the platter when i need a slight adjustment, but I also worry that I would grow accustomed to this mod and struggle with tables that don't have the mod.
Osvaldo Newhall
Originally Posted by bigbeatzz
I installed MK3 faders on my MKII, they do not have a center click and make it very nice to use while mixing.
You probably meant MK3D/M3D pitch controls. Because the MK3 (Japan market only release) has the same pitch as the MK2 does. Also, the MK3D/M3D have the same exact (bearing-less) pitch control as the MK5 and MK6.
Karolis Petrauskas
I installed MK3 faders on my MKII, they do not have a center click and make it very nice to use while mixing.
Nella Libin
Thanks for the clarification...
I still maintain this mod sounds the bomb for Techs turntablists
Vallie Pac

Lisa Lochotzki
I really know and understand the mod and the theory behind. I'm an engineer, I do service & work with SLs since more than 25 years. Still, I don't see any advantage.
Nella Libin
Sounds like a good mod from where i'm stood, After fully reading and understanding the reason behind the mod and the benefits- and its all 100% reversible if you have the skill to attempt the mod in the first place.
I'd say go for it!
(Numark TTs here if i was on Mk2 Techs id seriously consider a go myself)

KeyWee, proper calibration to Zero is a big part of the Mod, not a "Get around"... Go back and read and digest it fully, its a very interesting concept

Steevo, its only half of what it does!
the pitch lock "fights" you when you manually nudge the deck to speed up - quartz lock attempts to slow down the deck to get it at locked speed on the pitch fader
And vice versa when you pinch the spindle or touch the platter to slow down..
The mod if it does as promised sounds all good!
Lisa Lochotzki
Quartz lock is only @0%, Quartz have specific frequency and are not variable.

Fine tuning your calibration is the key.
Cami Loretdemola
I'm just working on the assumption that the quartz lock does the same thing as in a watch, keeps the turntable spinning at the speed it should be. Without it any voltage fluctuation or change in temperature or anything will change the rate the motor spins.
Keli Muennink
i believe you are mistaken, by removing the quartz lock it doesnt keep the table spinning at a constant speed, it eliminates the small amount of pitch adjustment that happens when your are trying to get your records beatmatched near the zero mark. most people will remove the ball bearing at the zero mark when doing the mod aswell

i believe im right
Cami Loretdemola
Removing the zero pitch (green light) can be nice, but you're better off just calibrating the pitch fader properly.

Removing the quartz lock is really really stupid. It's what keeps your turntable spinning at a constant speed.
Lisa Lochotzki
I usually don't say bad comment about hack when they provide enhancement, but this one is rather stupid. I would never dare doing it myself NOR doing it for my customer even if they pay me to do so.

Get the service manual, calibrate the few things in as specified in, and you're done.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy