New Cartridge Recommendations For My DVS/Vinyl Set Up?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: New Cartridge Recommendations For My DVS/Vinyl Set Up?Reply
New Cartridge Recommendations For My DVS/Vinyl Set Up?
Posted on: 09.07.2013 by Candy Vardy
Hey DJTT!

So I'm in the market to replace the crappy cartridges that came with my TT's that I bought recently. I've been reading and researching on DJTT, and online for weeks, looking for advice on buying some good decent cartridges. The thing is the more I read, the more I get confused as to what to choose. I know that most people recommend the M447's and also the Concords, and White labels, and many others in between.

I will mostly be playing with DVS, maybe the occasional vinyl, so I don't believe that I really need $200-300 cartridges right? So what would you recommend as a good decent quality sounding cartridges at an affordable price? I would say that my budget is around the $100-150, if this is possible?

Thanks guys!
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by Dustin V
Cos I don't have a headshell? If i choose to go for the M447's I will need to buy the whole thing.
the good thing about buying them already mounted IF YOUR A NEWBY to turntables is that THEY ARE ALREADY MOUNTED. It's not hard to mount a cart BUT if you do not do it correctly you can get unnecessary wear on both your cart and vinyl..plus, it may not hold the grove correctly.

If you are new GET them pre-mounted
Candy Vardy
Ha ha ha you tell me...

Well for the looks the Elektros look better IMO, but for day by day use the M447's would probably be the better bet I believe?

Ai what to do hahaha...
Brunilda Kora
See, the problem is, if you scratched and played bass-heavy music, you'd go for the Shures.

But, just because you don't, doesn't mean you shouldn't. The Shures are tough, reliable, time-tested and user approved pieces of hardware.

Saying that - I'm more than happy with my Stanton 505 MKII's that I've had for 10 years.

AND I've got a pair of pre-mounted (Technics headshells!) M44-7's that I haven't used that I've had for 6 months!!!

Just goes to show - you should use what you're used to... ...and you will get used to what you use.

...what was my point?
Bethann Olortegui
Elektro
Candy Vardy
Alright guys, so some progress has been made. I have decided that if I want a decent pair of cartridges I will need to pay a bit more for them. So after a lot of reading, and researching, I have narrowed it down to 2 cartridges.

First is the all mighty, all round winner, and highly recommended Shure M447. Second is the famous Ortofon Concorde Elektro. Both have great feedback and reputations, and are at the same price point.

No for someone who plays EDM, and does not scratch, which one would you choose? Thanks again guys for all your comments, thoughts and advice!
Candy Vardy
Yes you right. The needles that came with my TT's were some cheap old Stanton Deckmasters I believe. The seller even told me that they are working fine, but getting new ones would be a good idea.
Nadia Shelmadine
You've never mentioned what cartridges you're replacing. Some carts accept different needles, like Ortofons, Shures and Stantons.
Candy Vardy
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, so after much looking around I've cut it down to either getting the M447's, Shure Whitelabels, or the Concorde DJ Pro. They all seem to fit in the same category price wise. I'm going to keep looking around incase I come across some deal hopefully.
Precious Pequignot
Hey, I got premounted Shure M44-7s as my 1st pair of new carts when i bought my technics a couple of months ago.

If its your 1st time with carts and needles in general, i'll advise to get premounted. They will save both time and trouble.

Cost wise, look at the price for needle replacements as well and factor that into your future budget.

Even though you arent scratching, consider whether you will try to learn in the future.

Since you are using control vinyl on DVS, you will be using the same pair of timecode vinyls for long periods of time, so consider spherical needles to reduce wear and tear.

Though the M44-7s arent the sexist of needles. But they get the job done.

Carts wont matter for sound on DVS cause its dependent on your system/file audio quality, as long as it dosent skip/wear out etc. But it will for vinyl

Cheers!
Ming Devis
I wouldn't even bother with the protractors. Align it with the Technics alignment tool and make sure its square in the head shell.
The S shape tone arm on a 1200/10 was made so the needle tracks at the optimal angle.
Gaynell Rydberg
It's not that hard to set them up. Buy a Technics alignment tool for 3 bucks and then join vinylengine to download some protractors.
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by Dustin V
Cos I don't have a headshell? If i choose to go for the M447's I will need to buy the whole thing.
the good thing about buying them already mounted IF YOUR A NEWBY to turntables is that THEY ARE ALREADY MOUNTED. It's not hard to mount a cart BUT if you do not do it correctly you can get unnecessary wear on both your cart and vinyl..plus, it may not hold the grove correctly.

If you are new GET them pre-mounted
Danae Dumler
Get Shure M35 carts for $40 apiece and the American DJ headshells for about $8 apiece. Boom.
Gaynell Rydberg
Wat o.o You don't have headshells on your Technics? What cartridge do you have on your Technics?

You can get two headshells for ~20 bucks. Get American DJ headshells if possible. They're very similar to Technics headshells.
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Uh what... 200 dollars? Why do you need a new headshell?

They should only cost 50 dollars each.
Federico Vilas
In loved my white labels... But when I started back I choose m447

It is the most versatile cart and you can play and scratch most genres with it
Gaynell Rydberg
Uh what... 200 dollars? Why do you need a new headshell?

They should only cost 50 dollars each.
Candy Vardy
Yeah thats what I was believeing, but in that price range does anything come to mind?

I looked at the M447's price, and with a head shell it will come up to around $200 for a pair. Thats over my budget. If i could must find some decent good sounding cartridges for under $200 a pair I would be happy. Well I'll keep looking.
Gaynell Rydberg
Honestly, you really can't go wrong since you're just using DVS and not scratching.

I'd go with the cheapest.
Candy Vardy
I've been looking at the M447's with the Technics head shell attachment, and maybe the Trackmaster 3..

I don't know anymore...there's so many options on the market.
Danae Dumler
Shure M44-7 is the way to go, M35 if you want cheaper. Since your just using dvs it doesn't matter much, you can even get Stanton 500A or whatever and save a boatload of money. Ortofons are overpriced in my opinion but a lot of people swear by them
Gaynell Rydberg
Originally Posted by vanaema78
What?
He's using DVS. He doesn't need mountains of vinyl.
Yong Aptekar
White labels all the way. I use them for vinyl, timecode and scratching, and they have never let me down. In 2 years I've only needed to change the needles once, on one cart because I scratched it straight into one of my marking stickers and mangled it. Solid carts, and they look pretty too.
Edwina Fagel
Vinyl is cheap anyways.
What?
Gaynell Rydberg
Spherical is more durable because it doesn't fit as well in the grooves. It's not really causing wear and tear on the vinyl. Vinyl is cheap anyways.

DJs usually get spherical so the stylus doesn't get thrashed by the scratching. If you're not scratching, I'd get an elliptical.
Candy Vardy
If you aren't scratching you'd probably be better off with an elliptical stylus for more accurate tracking. Maybe even consider a hi-fi cartridge.
Well I've heard that a spherical stylus is better as it will cause less wear and tear, but still producing a good full sound?

Originally Posted by sarasin
Ortofon Electro?
Dude I checked those out and they way over my budget hey. I was looking at the Concorde Pro S, or something similar. Unfortunately they a bit too expensive.

I had heard that if you playing with DVS, then it doesn't really make a big difference what cartridge you have. Is that true?
Gaynell Rydberg
225 for a pair ooo

How important is it the tracking in DVS anyways? I don't really know, I figured it was mostly based on a good consistent table. I feel like you could get by with a basic pair of Ortofon Omegas or Shure 78s.
Lilliana Perris
Ortofon Electro?
Gaynell Rydberg
If you aren't scratching you'd probably be better off with an elliptical stylus for more accurate tracking. Maybe even consider a hi-fi cartridge.
Candy Vardy
Thanks for your suggestions bru, I'll check them out.

Also just to add, I mostly play EDM, and I don't scratch if thats any help. Just looking for some good quality reasonably priced cartridges.
Lilliana Perris
I got the Ortofon Concorde Electro's and Scratches.

They are both really sick!

I dont have MUCH experience with others, but these do the job nicely.

I had the Stanton ScratchMaster V3's before and they were also pretty sweet!

The Ortofon's are not too expensive either.
Lilliana Perris
I got the Ortofon Concorde Electro's and Scratches.

They are both really sick!

I dont have MUCH experience with others, but these do the job nicely.

I had the Stanton ScratchMaster V3's before and they were also pretty sweet!

The Ortofon's are not too expensive either.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy