How good is the auto-gain feature?

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: How good is the auto-gain feature?Reply
How good is the auto-gain feature?
Posted on: 23.08.2012 by Reagan Delamerced
I was using Platinum Notes to level my tracks but the process of reintegrating new files and re-doing tags was doing my head in. Lately I've just been letting Traktor set the gain on my tracks and allow the auto-gain feature to set it during mixes.

I was wondering what other people's experience is with Traktor's auto-gain, whether you trust it enough to play tracks live and if you don't, what are you doing to prep your tracks?

Cheers!
Adrian Zadrozny
Originally Posted by brocklambert
It's pretty decent actually... you should always use your ears though to fine-tune. You can manually adjust the gain on each track as well, and then lock that gain so that it's spot on in the future.
How does one save the gain after you have modified it?
Teresia Janusch
Originally Posted by mattmangrease
I don't believe autogain is technically any different than manually setting the gain.
adjusting the gain inside software is a layer of digital processing...where doing it on ur mixer (assuming external mixing) analog gain (depending on mixer of course)
Teresia Janusch
Originally Posted by Lilac
I use MP3Gain religiously and I haven't heard any major degrades in audio quality.

Is that because I'm using MP3Gain or..?
why not just use the gain knob on ur mixer?
Desire Piedmont
Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk
disable it...it colours the audio
Really - what have you noticed?
Julian Ispas
It's pretty decent actually... you should always use your ears though to fine-tune. You can manually adjust the gain on each track as well, and then lock that gain so that it's spot on in the future.
Doode i just bought a pair of V-moda Crossfade LP also, im in the process of burning it in. after 20 hours so far....it sounds pretty good. how do you like yours?
Reagan Delamerced
I was using Platinum Notes to level my tracks but the process of reintegrating new files and re-doing tags was doing my head in. Lately I've just been letting Traktor set the gain on my tracks and allow the auto-gain feature to set it during mixes.

I was wondering what other people's experience is with Traktor's auto-gain, whether you trust it enough to play tracks live and if you don't, what are you doing to prep your tracks?

Cheers!
Adrian Zadrozny
How does one save the gain after you have modified it?
Teresia Janusch
Originally Posted by mattmangrease
I don't believe autogain is technically any different than manually setting the gain.
adjusting the gain inside software is a layer of digital processing...where doing it on ur mixer (assuming external mixing) analog gain (depending on mixer of course)
Brunilda Kora
I'm a BIG FAN of MP3Gain. I run absolutely EVERYTHING through it, set to 89dB.
Sally Walkowiak
Teresia Janusch
Originally Posted by Lilac
I use MP3Gain religiously and I haven't heard any major degrades in audio quality.

why not just use the gain knob on ur mixer?
Desire Piedmont
How is it different to manually adjusting the gain?
Latoria Kavulich
mp3gain is non destructive, its the autogain in traktor you should steer away from.
Ossie Pooley

Teresia Janusch
colouring is maybe not the right term, but it does degrade the audio...native instruments got funktion one to test the full traktor system, and that what they found. keylock degrades it too (but thats way too handy), the worst offenders were auto gain and the limiter
Reagan Delamerced
I've found that my issues with it are fairly consistent with the rest of yours. It's normally quite good but there's always the occasional track which needs to have the gain adjusted.

I haven't found any issues with it 'colouring' the audio though. I'm not sure what you mean by colouring, what's happening with your tracks. Could it be that your laptop/macbook is affecting it?

interFEAR
Latoria Kavulich
Don't use autogain or platinum notes. my 2c
Desire Piedmont
Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk
Really - what have you noticed?
Teresia Janusch
Julian Ispas
Doode i just bought a pair of V-moda Crossfade LP also, im in the process of burning it in. after 20 hours so far....it sounds pretty good. how do you like yours?
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Yeah I tried MP3 gain but it was annoying. The auto gain is ok but still fine tune occasionally, it's good practice if you ever use someone else's setup and don't have that feature like using vinyl or cdj's.
Harley Zitka

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy