Help with B&W Speakers to S4 setup

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Help with B&W Speakers to S4 setupReply
Help with B&W Speakers to S4 setup
Posted on: 03.09.2012 by Cherrie Revelle
Hello guys, I'm new and starting out, my current setup now is, S4, Macbook, ipad2. My main question is the speakers/RCA. I have 2 speakers (handed down) I'd like to use, was curious how would I be able to connect them together, the speakers are B&W DM630's (mid 90's production) they have 2 high (pos/neg) and 2 low (pos/neg) but I'm unfamiliar with their connection type, speaker wire, RCA, or perhaps another?

They have never been used before, practically new, I'm not an audio expert but I would assume I would need an AMP or an adapter from speaker to device/AMP to RCA to S4? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Pics of the speakers rear attachedIMG_0184.jpgIMG_0185.jpg

Edit: Can anyone tell me what type of cable that goes to these speakers? xlr/rca/speaker wire?
Malcolm Leckenby
been using those speakers the last 3 years at home.
mine is connected to cheap hfi reciver denon AVR-800 from 90
Malcolm Leckenby
Malcolm Leckenby
Malcolm Leckenby
Malcolm Leckenby
Ossie Pooley
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
Looks like those are intended for use with banana plugs
This.
Cherrie Revelle
Looks like those are intended for use with banana plugs, which look like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346716451.058477.jpg

If they unscrew you can probably use them with plain speaker wires as well. The problem you'll have is that since these are high end HiFi speakers, they're intended for use with either an external crossover or twin amps (one for highs and another for lows, hence the 4 connectors. It's called bi-amping. One amp won't power them properly unless they have a switchable built in crossover that I can't see in the photos.

And I definitely wouldn't recommend them as outdoor speakers or for use as an alternative to a PA. Very much NOT their intended purpose.
Great info englishpint!, thank you, will be going to Radioshack/HD and try to get some banana wire made, just need to find an amp or two to get them going.

I was able to find the manual online and it did mention 2 high and 2 low, it also said that 2 high can be used alone, 2 low does not have to be used at all, I'm guessing that the 2 low would be for more deeper bass? Does anyone have an opinion/recommendation on how u would run these 2 speakers to an S4/Mac setup? 2 Amps for both high/low or just 1 amp, any suggestions on an average make/model AMP for DJ gear?

I'm aware that they are not outdoor type speakers, since I'm starting out I'm sure these will be great for starting out and to learn with at home, and perhaps bring them to a house party or somewhere they will not get damaged/exposure to outdoor weather.

A link to a thread about someone doing a "crossover mod" for the Speakers B&W DM630 http://www.audiokarma.org/community s/arc.../t-423009.html and http://www.diyaudio.com/community s/multi...over-caps.html, so I'm assuming it does have built-in crossover, so I'm assuming 1 amp is fine unless I lose alot of sound quality without running two amps? Thanks again

Manual @ http://www.mediafire.com/?upwts2ycltiddco
Tatum Ansaldo

If they unscrew you can probably use them with plain speaker wires as well. The problem you'll have is that since these are high end HiFi speakers, they're intended for use with either an external crossover or twin amps (one for highs and another for lows, hence the 4 connectors. It's called bi-amping. One amp won't power them properly unless they have a switchable built in crossover that I can't see in the photos.

And I definitely wouldn't recommend them as outdoor speakers or for use as an alternative to a PA. Very much NOT their intended purpose.
Cherrie Revelle
Originally Posted by Alubat
I have s2 connected to reciver with rca
speaker wire between reciver and speakers
yes, you can screw on/off to tighten speaker wire that is going through a hole from the port on the speakes
Thank you! do you happen to use banana plugs by any chance? also what type of amp would be recommended if I were to bring my own speakers/gear to a gig, say a cookout, or a large party, nothing fancy but something that I could use for home mainly. Thanks
Malcolm Leckenby
Cherrie Revelle
Hello guys, I'm new and starting out, my current setup now is, S4, Macbook, ipad2. My main question is the speakers/RCA. I have 2 speakers (handed down) I'd like to use, was curious how would I be able to connect them together, the speakers are B&W DM630's (mid 90's production) they have 2 high (pos/neg) and 2 low (pos/neg) but I'm unfamiliar with their connection type, speaker wire, RCA, or perhaps another?

They have never been used before, practically new, I'm not an audio expert but I would assume I would need an AMP or an adapter from speaker to device/AMP to RCA to S4? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Pics of the speakers rear attachedIMG_0184.jpgIMG_0185.jpg

Edit: Can anyone tell me what type of cable that goes to these speakers? xlr/rca/speaker wire?
Cherrie Revelle
Thanks guys for all the help, the only thing that i'm missing is the amp/receiver.
So im wondering if anyone could give some recommenations on an inexpensive amp sub $100 to get for the house and maybe portable?,
Would this amp be suitable for what I need? (S4<>RCA> Amp <speaker wires<> 2 speakers
I'm assuming I don't need a big home hifi theatre amp/receiver like a denon? just a regular amp would do, would a 1 channel amp work or does it also have to be 2 channel?
Link below to amazon
http://tinyurl.com/9xhf7av

Thanks so much!
Malcolm Leckenby
the manaul you have linked to says suitable for amplifiers 25-150w on page 4
Ossie Pooley
Looks like those are intended for use with banana plugs
This.
Cherrie Revelle

Great info englishpint!, thank you, will be going to Radioshack/HD and try to get some banana wire made, just need to find an amp or two to get them going.

I was able to find the manual online and it did mention 2 high and 2 low, it also said that 2 high can be used alone, 2 low does not have to be used at all, I'm guessing that the 2 low would be for more deeper bass? Does anyone have an opinion/recommendation on how u would run these 2 speakers to an S4/Mac setup? 2 Amps for both high/low or just 1 amp, any suggestions on an average make/model AMP for DJ gear?

I'm aware that they are not outdoor type speakers, since I'm starting out I'm sure these will be great for starting out and to learn with at home, and perhaps bring them to a house party or somewhere they will not get damaged/exposure to outdoor weather.

A link to a thread about someone doing a "crossover mod" for the Speakers B&W DM630 http://www.audiokarma.org/community s/arc.../t-423009.html and http://www.diyaudio.com/community s/multi...over-caps.html, so I'm assuming it does have built-in crossover, so I'm assuming 1 amp is fine unless I lose alot of sound quality without running two amps? Thanks again

Manual @ http://www.mediafire.com/?upwts2ycltiddco
Tatum Ansaldo

Cherrie Revelle
Originally Posted by Alubat
yes, you can screw on/off to tighten speaker wire that is going through a hole from the port on the speakes
Thank you! do you happen to use banana plugs by any chance? also what type of amp would be recommended if I were to bring my own speakers/gear to a gig, say a cookout, or a large party, nothing fancy but something that I could use for home mainly. Thanks
Malcolm Leckenby
Cherrie Revelle
Thanks for the reply, figured I needed an amp, and how about the connection ports from the speakers, are they speaker wire or RCA? I couldn't make it out since they can screw off/on to tighten an RCA, or perhaps they tighten a speaker wire that is going through a hole from the port?

From the looks of the Denon, you have it connected via speaker wire, would converting/DIY speakerwire to RCA then connecting directly into the S4 work to avoid the amp or no?
Malcolm Leckenby

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy