Syncing a S4 and an other controller together ?

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Syncing a S4 and an other controller together ?Reply
Syncing a S4 and an other controller together ?
Posted on: 21.09.2012 by Willard Battley
Hi guys
A friend and myself would like to play together, so I would like to sync my S4 and his controller (reloop digital jockey 2 master edition).
We are both going to use our own laptop (2 macbook pro, one with TP2 and an other with TPS2) with our own controller.
The problem is that I'have only one pair of speakers (Studiophiles AV 40 M-Audio).
So here are my questions :
I guess that the best would be to use one controller as salve and an other as master. So what should we connect together : the controllers via a midi DIN cable or the macbook pro via an ethernet cable ?
Then the other problem is the audio output. Following the physical connection, I would like to plug his reloop digital jockey 2 master edition in my midi thru input of the S4 in order to send our mixed music on my pair of speakers.
Do you this is possible ?
Also like this what is going to happen in Traktor ? Each of us will be limited to control 2 decks no ? And concerning the pre-listen and the waveforms : will I be able to hear his music through my cans connected on my S4 and will I see his waveforms on my macbook ?
Thank you for all yours answers and sorry for my little knowledge in the midi syncing domain
Willard Battley
Thanks guys for all your answers.
I finally managed with syncing our two controllers together.
However we fought for an hour because the master clock tempo was not stable at all before we realized that turning off airport was essential. It may help other people who has the same probleme.
To get our sounds mixed together on the same pair of speakers, I connected his reloop to the midi thru on channel D behind my S4.
But it was a bit hard to set up the gain on that midi thru port to have the same level than me with my S4. Do you have others solutions or tips to set it easier ?
Sorry but what do you mean by a small sub-mixer ?
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
However we fought for an hour because the master clock tempo was not stable at all before we realized that turning off airport was essential. It may help other people who has the same probleme.
To get our sounds mixed together on the same pair of speakers, I connected his reloop to the midi thru on channel D behind my S4.
But it was a bit hard to set up the gain on that midi thru port to have the same level than me with my S4. Do you have others solutions or tips to set it easier ?
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Faustino Stringfellow
Originally Posted by Stewe
Read manual?
That response might sound curt and short, however he's right .. there's a thousand posts/videos available on this very subject.

Search google/youtube/this community

Cutting things short.

Choose one as a MASTER one as a SLAVE.

Master tempo sends / Slave receives MIDI (you'll need to sort out MIDI drift with the offset config in traktor)

Use your Master as the sound output, and link in the others audio to LIVE input.

Better all-together with a small sub-mixer , then both outputs can be mixed together properly.
Willard Battley
Hi guys
A friend and myself would like to play together, so I would like to sync my S4 and his controller (reloop digital jockey 2 master edition).
We are both going to use our own laptop (2 macbook pro, one with TP2 and an other with TPS2) with our own controller.
The problem is that I'have only one pair of speakers (Studiophiles AV 40 M-Audio).
So here are my questions :
I guess that the best would be to use one controller as salve and an other as master. So what should we connect together : the controllers via a midi DIN cable or the macbook pro via an ethernet cable ?
Then the other problem is the audio output. Following the physical connection, I would like to plug his reloop digital jockey 2 master edition in my midi thru input of the S4 in order to send our mixed music on my pair of speakers.
Do you this is possible ?
Also like this what is going to happen in Traktor ? Each of us will be limited to control 2 decks no ? And concerning the pre-listen and the waveforms : will I be able to hear his music through my cans connected on my S4 and will I see his waveforms on my macbook ?
Thank you for all yours answers and sorry for my little knowledge in the midi syncing domain
Faustino Stringfellow
a regular analogue mixer, just a simple two channel thing will do, then both controller outputs can be sent directly to the speakers, rather than routing one into the other. Then line levels can be matched.

I do the same thing, I have a cheap Beringher Xenyx 802 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/802.aspx that I use, i bought for $30 seconnd hand for parts, but never took it apart.
Willard Battley
Thank you
J
Kellie Myrum
I would set TP2 as master. Add new generic device and set "send midi clock" command, that's how traktor send midi to slave device. Now you need to route midi but since reloop dj2 doesn't have midi in you guys need to plug another midi interface device to connect two computers in order.

Use midi off-set to sync midi clocks and from there it's all about how good your tracks are gridded.

Read manual first to get basic help... This all should make more clear hopefully.
Faustino Stringfellow
Originally Posted by Stewe
Read manual?
That response might sound curt and short, however he's right .. there's a thousand posts/videos available on this very subject.

Search google/youtube/this community

Cutting things short.

Choose one as a MASTER one as a SLAVE.

Master tempo sends / Slave receives MIDI (you'll need to sort out MIDI drift with the offset config in traktor)

Use your Master as the sound output, and link in the others audio to LIVE input.

Better all-together with a small sub-mixer , then both outputs can be mixed together properly.
Kellie Myrum
Read manual?

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy