USB connector broken on Kontrol S4

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: USB connector broken on Kontrol S4Reply
USB connector broken on Kontrol S4
Posted on: 27.01.2012 by Mac Fly
Hey TechTools,
I have a big issue with my S4. I noticed the USB connection was a bit loose while practising last evening so I went and bought a new cable assuming that the cable was the problem. When plugging in the new USB cable today the unit is lifeless. No LED's no computer recognition. I'm running a MacBook pro and I keep getting the error message which I attached to this thread. It basically says that the unit is drawing too much power. The USB connector on the S4 still feels loose when the cable is plugged in. I tried every physical variance possible to fix the issue. Different power sockets in my house, different USB cables and on different computers, installed the newest drivers, cleaned the USB connector with alcohol. Nothing works its still lifeless with the error message popping up. The message also appeared a couple times when the unit was not even on, with just the USB cable plugged in the unit. Would there be current flowing through the unit even when its turned off? I could solder a new USB connector to see if this is the problem but i would assume this would void my warranty, if I still have one (Whats the typical S4 warranty anyway?) Do you believe its worth it to solder a new USB connector to the S4? It could be multiple issues which is my main concern. Help Please. I have a gig tomorrow which is not to mention my girlfriends birthday party so she is just as upset as me.
Kathyrn Pagala
Originally Posted by tekki
I will make another write up on here, as that I am having some domain troubles resulting in my blog not being able to be reached.
Feel's like mine is starting to go, just as I have 3 sets over the next 2 weekends! Looks like I *may* still be covered buy the 2 year EU warranty even so still cant afford to be S4'Less right now. What is the cardboard trick? Just in case I have to hot fix it as no doubt it will go just before one of my sets…
Maya Beierschmitt
My port got loose last evening and started cutting in and out of sound Gotta call NI this week.

Originally Posted by YoshiExcel
This may look a little silly...but i found this today after trying to find ways to fix/help this problem. http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Male-...d_rhf_se_p_t_2 just plug that into the back of your S4, and leave it there, plug your USB cable into that instead, that way you dont always have to be pulling on the S4's USB port!
Anybody actually done this yet?

Originally Posted by vaibhav.gupta
yo use the cardboard trick that's what i used and it works 100%
What is that?
Kathyrn Pagala
Originally Posted by tekki
I will make another write up on here, as that I am having some domain troubles resulting in my blog not being able to be reached.
Feel's like mine is starting to go, just as I have 3 sets over the next 2 weekends! Looks like I *may* still be covered buy the 2 year EU warranty even so still cant afford to be S4'Less right now. What is the cardboard trick? Just in case I have to hot fix it as no doubt it will go just before one of my sets…
Random X
Maya Beierschmitt
My port got loose last evening and started cutting in and out of sound Gotta call NI this week.

Originally Posted by YoshiExcel
This may look a little silly...but i found this today after trying to find ways to fix/help this problem. http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Male-...d_rhf_se_p_t_2 just plug that into the back of your S4, and leave it there, plug your USB cable into that instead, that way you dont always have to be pulling on the S4's USB port!
Anybody actually done this yet?

Originally Posted by vaibhav.gupta
What is that?
Anne Brevig
Ricki Markman
I bought one of those a few months back^ Then I realized I had to pull it out every time I put it in the case as a 2" protrusion would scrape against the top of my bag. I was trying to find a way to cut it down to a smaller size
Lucrecia Diloreto
Random X
You could always check this ninja solution if it's just before a gig:
http://journal.ome-les.com/fixing-th...s2/2012/03/11/
Jaleesa Zheng
They really need to make the usb ports stronger... I noticed the usb ports were way too weak....

What if the warranty ends and this shit happens? ill be raging..
Albertina Fay
My USB female port on the S4 took a crap on me this past Saturday, didn't even notice until I tried to connect it yesterday evening . The little middle portion came off when I unplugged it when packing up.

I called NI today and explained to them what happened. The NI rep told me they would send me an email with a RA number and a pre-paid postage so I can ship it to them. He advised they will not try to fix it and just send me a new one.

Only downside, he said it would take approx. 3 weeks.

Thank god for my Audio 8, X1 and my cheap little backup mixer.
Faustino Stringfellow
They just swapped mine for a new one too, no fingerprints even .... the rotaries on this feel a lot stronger than the one i had (even when it was brand new) which makes me believe that they have improved the production of this unit. I don't have a problem with the USB as mine is permanently flight-cased.
Mac Fly
I recieved mine back yesterday. The time it took wasnt to bad considering I live in Canada. They just gave me a brand new S4. Im stoked, the unit is nice and shiny and I didnt realize the wear and tear I gave the unit over the past year until they sent me the new one. The plastic orange piece in the middle of the USB connector might need a new redesign tho, probally something they should keep in mind for there new controllers coming out. Maby a whole new connector desing for the controllers. Typical USB connector obviously wasnt meant to be plugged in and out as much as DJ's would use them.
Faustino Stringfellow
S4 arrived 15 mins ago .....

So whoever is moaning about repair times obviously hasn't used the service ..

Reported on Monday, Sent Tuesday ...back the following Monday ....

I even bought this from DJTT and NI let me send it to Germany rather than back to Ean ...

So I echo olisky's comment ... FFS things happen, that's why they have RMA and repair services ....

now onto those idiots who have opened them up to put in innofaders ...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

you have to pay for the repairs yourself, and NI are not accepting them without an intact seal ....
Johnetta Olewine
chill out bro. shit happens. Its still under warranty FFS.
Kami Sawan
this just happened to me toevening . i was trying to pulling my usb cable that goes into tractor and it pulled out the orange dividing thing. i'll show pictures. my s2 is only 3 weeks old, this should not be happening PERIOD. Just glad I didn't pay full price $599 s2 / $899 s4.
Teresia Janusch
the usb socket on my audio 8 became loose a few weeks ago makeing the cable very easy to pull out, i used a tiny screw driver to bend the bits on the walls of the sockets out again, now it holds the plug nice and firmly
Faustino Stringfellow
no where near a month, sent mine to NI on Tuesday, it's now in the post and it's due date is Monday (by UPS tracking).

I don't believe they even attempted to fix my wobbly rotary, in the time they had it I believe they just replaced the S4 with a new one.

I'll update on Monday
Shalon Jaranilla
Well for me it was a 30 dollar fix, the guy i gave it to, put a new usb connector in and reinforced it by extra soldering so this won't happen again.

So if you out of warranty, or don't want it be shipped and miss it for months, like it seems that's what happens with NI, it's perfectly fixable.
Laure Cantara
This is a perfect explanation of why I ended with a flight case. I leave the USB connected to the S4 all the time and rolled neatly when put away. The case is worth its "weight".
Shalon Jaranilla
Yep, it just happened to me. The whole usb socket is loose and will be pushed inside when i push the cable.

the guy who fixes all my dj related stuff is gonna work on it this week. hope for the best. Had to bring out the xone db4 on the beach and i don't like that, with all the sand, dust and sea salt air.
Gaston Kozman
Originally Posted by Abyrne7
Yes, Im sending my unit back to NI for repairs. A new DJ protocol that functions the same as a USB should be made for DJ hardware that can handly more durability.
I believe that NI has to really address the USB issue, now I'm dreading the day it happens to my S4...about how long will it take NI to get your X1 back to you?
Mac Fly
Originally Posted by deejayjsin
My X1 is having the same issue, is resoldering the only way to fix the loose USB connector?
Yes, Im sending my unit back to NI for repairs. A new DJ protocol that functions the same as a USB should be made for DJ hardware that can handly more durability.
Gaston Kozman
Originally Posted by Scaper7
I have 2 Kontrol X1s and Maschine. All 3 units are showing signs of loose USB connectors and all need resoldering. It seems to be part of the build standard on this range of hardware.
My X1 is having the same issue, is resoldering the only way to fix the loose USB connector?
Marcene Bixenman
You should've had some premixes for your gf's party man :/
Faustino Stringfellow
Email Eans team directly seeing as they are your supplier. Failing that, call NI directly and explain the situation. Most RMA's/repairs take a few days just down to the administration. The chances are you won't even get a repair, i understand in the first three years they "swap out", so you'll get a new unit. (there are moderators who can confirm this)

Also do you have a PC to test it into, it maybe something unusual going on with the MAC?

IN future, leave the USB cable connected if you can, I have one installed in the flightcase, so it never has to be removed, and thus never touches the USB port.
Mac Fly
Same thing happened to my VCI 100 and I got a technician at my University to help me solder a new one on. I just found out that openeing it will infact void the warranty.

I guess my only question now is. Can a damged USB port cause other issues within the unit after excessive attempts to use it when its not working properly??

My options are; send it back to NI to get it fixed (if they take it at this point) and wait probally 3 months for them to fix it. I have many gigs coming up with no back up controller and no CD book for CDJ's (bad idea).

Or bring it to a specialest to solder a new USB connector on. If the unit still has some underlying problem Im screwed and warranty void. On the other hand if it works then I have my S4 back in only a couple days and I continue gigging as normal.
Emanuel Kepics
I have 2 Kontrol X1s and Maschine. All 3 units are showing signs of loose USB connectors and all need resoldering. It seems to be part of the build standard on this range of hardware.
Mac Fly
I forgot to post the print screen of the pop up image and I cant right now but like I explained it said the unit was drawing too much power and that the USB outlet will become disabled. From google research it's a pretty common pop up that appears in Macbook pros due to various reasons. So i guess my main question is...

Has something like this happened to anyone else before? And how did you resolve it?

Whats the warranty involved for the S4? I couldnt seem to find information concerning this anywhere. I bought mine off the DJTechTools store around when the first batch came out. If I open the unit and get someone to replace the USB connector do you believe it is worth the risk of losing the warranty? (If there is one). Im worried of some other hardware problem which could have occured also.

I contacted support from NI but they have yet to get back to me and this was 3 days ago I contacted them.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy