USB 5400RPM External Good Enough?

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: USB 5400RPM External Good Enough?Reply
USB 5400RPM External Good Enough?
Posted on: 27.09.2012 by Rosita Jesch
Hello,

Is an external USB 5400RPM drive good enough for DJing with Traktor?

Does how many cue points or any other factor effect what you would need in terms of RPM?

Thanks!
Fores
Julian Ispas
Originally Posted by foresdj
Hello,

Does how many cue points or any other factor effect what you would need in terms of RPM?

Thanks!
Fores
YES is it wayyyy more then enough....most of the time i DJ out of a USB stick....and usb stick is hella slow compares to an actual hard drive. you are fine.

but you dont have to take our words for it....do a test run at home and see, im sure you gotta practice right? put all ur songs in the hard drive and bang it out for an hour or 2 at home
Rosita Jesch
Hello,

Thanks!
Fores
Ileana Schieve
Simply put.. Yes. External is just storing it, your software puts it in the cache anyways
Nestor Epper
That should work just fine. I actually just bought one last Friday. Its 5400 RPM. I ran it through the paces and it works great. Considering the software loads it into RAM anyways it really shouldn't matter.
Julian Ispas
Originally Posted by foresdj
Hello,

Thanks!
Fores
YES is it wayyyy more then enough....most of the time i DJ out of a USB stick....and usb stick is hella slow compares to an actual hard drive. you are fine.

but you dont have to take our words for it....do a test run at home and see, im sure you gotta practice right? put all ur songs in the hard drive and bang it out for an hour or 2 at home
Addie Engbrecht
If you load everything from your track collection list then it should be no problem. If you load stuff from seperate folders off your HDD , then that could be painfully slow to get track info like BPM to show up on your playlist.
Nedra Fresneda
Traktor loads your tracks into the RAM when you put them on a deck, the HDD speed is irrelevant.
Celine Surico
I doubt someone needs a faster (7200RPM/SSD) drive for DJ:ing as we are talking about max four tracks streaming, typically two. Not all laptops have USB 3.0 yet so USB 2.0 is a must. Get a new drive, most of the new ones, even cheap ones, are pretty fast.

PS: Of course if you want to play 32 samples at the same time from the drive, that might push performance-wise. I would keep any samples on the main drive, anyway.
Addie Engbrecht
5400 RPM is a typical internal HDD. It's basically the slowest of internal HDD out there, but most laptops have one, some may have a 7200. I'm no computer expert, but I believe in this situation the bottleneck would be the fact it's USB. USB 3.0 will be faster than 2.0, but the best would be a ESATA connection if your laptop has one (not typical). WIth that being said, shouldnt really be a big issue

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy