Getting Remix Decks to Act Like Drum Machine?

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Getting Remix Decks to Act Like Drum Machine?Reply
Getting Remix Decks to Act Like Drum Machine?
Posted on: 16.07.2012 by Milton Fogelsanger
Just got my s4, and am pretty stoked with it! One question though, I'm looking to be able to drum with my remix decks, but even with one shot samples I'm not able to drum freely. The samples get paused, or seem to play in sync with the master tempo. Either way, they don't respond automatically when repeatedly pressed. Can someone point me in the direction of how to change this? I've had a fiddle with the preferences, but haven't had any success so far.
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by mattmangrease
Turn off quantize.
simply this.
Margarite Diepenhorst
Originally Posted by bigcrumb
i had the same problem, i wanted to use the remix deck to trigger jingles horns lazer fx etc as you would trigger drums. i figured out how to do that but the problem i got now is that the remix decks are still syncing to the track decks resulting in my jingles playing either ridiculously high or low pitched is there a way to stop the remix decks syncing to the track decks permanently ? all i want to do is trigger samples the same way that virtual dj lets you
Dude I just installed the old version and got rid of the remix decks. Not a great solution but it works the way I want it to now.
Desire Piedmont
Originally Posted by DJUSAUS
does anyone know how to change the remix decks from loop mode to one shot mode?? i have a s2 btw
If you want to permanently change samples to one shots then ... highlight file in browser > right click > set type to one shot sample

You can do a whole bunch at once that way.
Bunny Sockel
does anyone know how to change the remix decks from loop mode to one shot mode?? i have a s2 btw
have you ever thought of reading the manual
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by Jink121
I believe it's the syncing that I'm having a problem with, although I noticed today that I can launch my one shots whenever the light below the sample button on the s4 is off (Like the button on the far right in this pic http://www.digitaldjtips.com/wp-cont...-and-loops.png). Once I launch it, however, the light below lights up, and when I push it again, instead of playing the sample, all it does is make the light go off again, which means I can launch the one shot again. Essentially it requires two button pushes to launch one oneshot.
If it is designed this way, it is an odd way to do it
If you want to use the Mix Deck more like a drum machine, you need to make sure quantize is off or on a very low setting (like 1/4) and the samples need to be either set as loops with gate overide on or as one-shots.

This video explains the gate overide (with the F1).

scamo
Paulene Netz
Originally Posted by snoemu5a
yes it can, you just have to set the sample as a one-shot and turn off latch. If you're having trouble getting it right, try downloading that guitar solo set that talentless hack is using in one of the promo videos. WHen are NI gonna get some profiled dj's to do promos instead of these these no-name pop "dj's".
Did you really just call Moldover a "talentless hack" ?

/mindboggles
Milton Fogelsanger
Just got my s4, and am pretty stoked with it! One question though, I'm looking to be able to drum with my remix decks, but even with one shot samples I'm not able to drum freely. The samples get paused, or seem to play in sync with the master tempo. Either way, they don't respond automatically when repeatedly pressed. Can someone point me in the direction of how to change this? I've had a fiddle with the preferences, but haven't had any success so far.
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by mattmangrease
Turn off quantize.
simply this.
Margarite Diepenhorst
Originally Posted by bigcrumb
i had the same problem, i wanted to use the remix deck to trigger jingles horns lazer fx etc as you would trigger drums. i figured out how to do that but the problem i got now is that the remix decks are still syncing to the track decks resulting in my jingles playing either ridiculously high or low pitched is there a way to stop the remix decks syncing to the track decks permanently ? all i want to do is trigger samples the same way that virtual dj lets you
Dude I just installed the old version and got rid of the remix decks. Not a great solution but it works the way I want it to now.
Cameron Minier
Margarite Diepenhorst
I'm having the same issue. Whenever I load a one-shot sample (such as, "Drop the Bass", as a cheesy example), the remix deck automatically "syncs" this sample with the master track, even though I have turned BPM off in the sample's settings. The behavior I would like to see would very simply play back this sample as just a WAV file, without any time stretching or tempo matching. This seems like such an easy thing to do, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I've set everything to one-shot, but cannot obtain this behavior. Anybody have any more thoughts?

BTW, I'm using the K S2. I've also heard there is a "legacy" mode for the sample cue buttons, but unfortunately am not in front of my hardware at the moment so I can't check it out. Thanks.
Desire Piedmont
If you want to permanently change samples to one shots then ... highlight file in browser > right click > set type to one shot sample

You can do a whole bunch at once that way.
Sally Walkowiak
Turn off quantize.
Bunny Sockel
have you ever thought of reading the manual
Rey Holubar
Open up the Remix Deck in advanced mode and at the bottom right you can change sample cells playback mode (one-shot/ loop).

You can see what the advanced mode looks like and the button to change playback mode (bottom right) at about minute 4 of this video.

scamo
Burl Kennick
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by Jink121
I believe it's the syncing that I'm having a problem with, although I noticed today that I can launch my one shots whenever the light below the sample button on the s4 is off (Like the button on the far right in this pic http://www.digitaldjtips.com/wp-cont...-and-loops.png). Once I launch it, however, the light below lights up, and when I push it again, instead of playing the sample, all it does is make the light go off again, which means I can launch the one shot again. Essentially it requires two button pushes to launch one oneshot.
If you want to use the Mix Deck more like a drum machine, you need to make sure quantize is off or on a very low setting (like 1/4) and the samples need to be either set as loops with gate overide on or as one-shots.

This video explains the gate overide (with the F1).

scamo
Sparkle Faldyn
Most definitely. And I stand by that statement. Also his curls make him look like a punching bag.
Paulene Netz
Originally Posted by snoemu5a
yes it can, you just have to set the sample as a one-shot and turn off latch. If you're having trouble getting it right, try downloading that guitar solo set that talentless hack is using in one of the promo videos. WHen are NI gonna get some profiled dj's to do promos instead of these these no-name pop "dj's".
Did you really just call Moldover a "talentless hack" ?

/mindboggles
Sparkle Faldyn
Al Naii
You can't do as Jink described at all on any piece of hardware? The F1 can't trigger them as described?
Milton Fogelsanger
Yeah, i was believeing to just knock up a track with my samples and cue point juggle, cheers for the response
Angella Tsukerman
Oh and if you go down the second route I suggested the Loop Recorder may help you with getting everything into one track (as long as it isn't more than 32 beats)
Angella Tsukerman
Hi there,

Yes I agree it is a bit of an odd way for it to work but you have to bear in mind that it is for samples, not for smashing out a drum solo it just appears that is how it is with the sample decks, I'm not sure if there are any mappings or settings you could change to get round this.

One way you could potentially get round this is to reduce the silence at the end of your drum sample to nothing that way when a oneshot is finished firing it will stop that sample and the next time you press it should be from the start (I believe that is how it works, I'm sat at work and can't really remember). However, this may not be great as you still have to wait for the sample to stop firing which if you are creating a solo may not work well.

Another way you could get your drums to work how you want is to create one track with all your drum sounds on and add cue points for each drum sound. Once you've pressed play you can just juggle between them. However this may not respond exactly how you wish either as it means only one drum sound can be played at a time, what I mean is you couldn't trigger a snare and cymbal simultaneously unless you've recorded that already. Maybe you could use both decks C and D for this to give yourself a few more options.

Hope this is helpful. Like I said there may be some mappings or settings you can change to get it to respond how you want.
Milton Fogelsanger
King Mascarinas
You are going to have the problem of it syncing regardless because Traktor wants to treat it like a sample (which you want to have synced). Even worse is that right now there is not support for triggering all of the samples with any controllers but the midi fighter pro (soon the classic too) and Kontrol F1.

So I would say for right now if you really need the ability to run a drum machine while djing, you should run ableton or logic at the same time as traktor. This may not be the feel you are looking for, but until mapping of each slot is supported by more controllers (I believe it is a firmware issue) I don't believe you can get a drum machine going (as you only have access to 4 slots by controller trigger).

I would be over joyed if someone told me I am wrong... but this is the current state of affairs to the best of my knowledge.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy