Successor to S4?

Successor to S4?
Posted on: 19.10.2012 by Nellie Bahnsen
Has anybody heard if anything is coming down the pipe in terms of a flagship controller from NI? Or is NI taking a more lateral approach, fleshing out a complete line of digital kit with the X1, F1, and Z2?

I ask, because the S4 has been out for a bit (yes, I know the S2 is still relatively new-er), and I'm not sure if investing in one is worth it at the moment. I'm looking to upgrade in the near future (read: months) from my Numark MixtrackPro (it does me just fine, but I'd like even tighter integration with Traktor and more fine grained control -less mouse use), but don't want to get the S4, only to have the newest thing from NI come out shortly after.

And yes, I know there are other fantastic options out there that are much fresher out of the design room (I'm looking at you, VCI-400SE), but I'm more concerned with the S4 right now, and NI hardware in general.

Also, I did try a google search and searching the community s, but I didn't find any semblance of an answer to this question. Sorry if this IS a repost.
Nellie Bahnsen
Originally Posted by padi_04
Expect a hardware update when the S4's price drops heavily, that's how NI works normally. They might update the X1 with pretty RGB lights before tho.
Yeah, the problem is though, that's a lagging indicator. By the time I see that, it might be too late. Or rather, I buy the S4, and then I see that, it's too late.

Originally Posted by Nicadraus
The problem with controllers is that they out date really quick and gets replaced almost every year or two. Unlike CD players and vinyl turntables. They are used as long as they still work fine.
*sigh* exactly why I made this thread, cause I have seen how competitive and fast-paced the controller market can be!
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by ksandvik
Actually, to speculate, me believes the next wave is modular design of controllers for mix-and-match and hey NI is pretty much going down that route, too.
Remember this?

http://www.djranking s.com/2012/01/2...h-omni-module/
Tatum Ansaldo
Those who know won't tell and those who don't know will speculate and guess.
Welcome to DJTT... And the Internet lol
Nellie Bahnsen
Has anybody heard if anything is coming down the pipe in terms of a flagship controller from NI? Or is NI taking a more lateral approach, fleshing out a complete line of digital kit with the X1, F1, and Z2?

I ask, because the S4 has been out for a bit (yes, I know the S2 is still relatively new-er), and I'm not sure if investing in one is worth it at the moment. I'm looking to upgrade in the near future (read: months) from my Numark MixtrackPro (it does me just fine, but I'd like even tighter integration with Traktor and more fine grained control -less mouse use), but don't want to get the S4, only to have the newest thing from NI come out shortly after.

And yes, I know there are other fantastic options out there that are much fresher out of the design room (I'm looking at you, VCI-400SE), but I'm more concerned with the S4 right now, and NI hardware in general.

Also, I did try a google search and searching the community s, but I didn't find any semblance of an answer to this question. Sorry if this IS a repost.
Nellie Bahnsen
Originally Posted by padi_04
Expect a hardware update when the S4's price drops heavily, that's how NI works normally. They might update the X1 with pretty RGB lights before tho.
Yeah, the problem is though, that's a lagging indicator. By the time I see that, it might be too late. Or rather, I buy the S4, and then I see that, it's too late.

Originally Posted by Nicadraus
The problem with controllers is that they out date really quick and gets replaced almost every year or two. Unlike CD players and vinyl turntables. They are used as long as they still work fine.
*sigh* exactly why I made this thread, cause I have seen how competitive and fast-paced the controller market can be!
Osvaldo Newhall
Nedra Fresneda
Tatum Ansaldo
Actually, to speculate, me believes the next wave is modular design of controllers for mix-and-match and hey NI is pretty much going down that route, too.
Remember this?

http://www.djranking s.com/2012/01/2...h-omni-module/
Tatum Ansaldo
Welcome to DJTT... And the Internet lol
Celine Surico
Tatum Ansaldo
I can't claim to know any more than anyone else, and I may be eating my words in a few months time, but I'd be surprised if the S4 were superseded within the next year. With the Z2 not even released yet and all the hype surrounding that, it would make more sense to focus on the almost inevitable announcement of the Z4 in 6-12 months.

For the features traktor has at the moment, there's no need to update the S4 since it covers everything it needs to. You wouldn't want to have full comprehensive remix deck control on there or it would be cluttered, and the remix decks are pretty niche so you have the F1 as an optional add on.

IMHO the soonest we'll probably see a new flagship controller will be with the release of Traktor Pro 3 and whatever shiny new features that brings.
Celine Surico

As for S4, my biggest request would to make it more compact but most of the layout is quite OK and I have hard time seeing it being totally revisited. Maybe more colored buttons :-).

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy