S4 and 2.6 bugs

S4 and 2.6 bugs
Posted on: 26.10.2012 by Kecia Wnukowski
So I'm creating this while I test with the s4 this new promising update.
I'm also creating it here within the s4's section as I can't tell if that could be applied to other controllers.
Feel free to add to the subject and/or add it on another thread.

First bug I felt into:
* (new and F%
Francina Decosse
Originally Posted by scamo
Hehehe.... Thanks... But your post still makes little sense to me.

What are the per-channel FX buttons? Do you mean the buttons in the software to indicate which FX unit is on/ off for each deck?

scamo
VanGogo got it right.

It's the FX 1/2 buttons below the Gain rotaries. Now, with 2.6 in 4FX mode, i was able to properly remap the assignments for Fx1/2, but the LEDs on the controller don't count it. I don't want their default hard assignment ch A -> FX1, B->2, C->3 .... Want it to be 1/2 assignable as in 2fx mode, but 3/4 still active for combos and custom mappings.

Either way, i believe to focus on fx combos now. The beat phase out does a good job for combos activation feedback.
Francina Decosse
Originally Posted by VanGogo
The Fx leds I don't believe can be changed in 4 Fx mode. Rainer of the Traktor Bible fame couldn't accomplish it prior to v2.5, and he really knows Traktor inside and out.
That's right. I recall it too now.

We are able to send beat phase out to them, but never a solid light. Its the same with the 2.6 as it was with the earlier 2.x. I can apply it as a workaround, but it's not worth. Prefer to have the blinks for FX combo states.

I will probably request both output override and a 4fx fix on the TOR thread at NI. They need to put a simple switch on the S4 config screen to optionally keep the 2FX mapping in 4FX mode. NI seems to be paying much more attention to the TOR, than on the feature requests section.

Cheers, thanks!
Rey Holubar
Originally Posted by loop
lol, Cross Fader

Has anyone found a way to output on/off status of the per-channel FX buttons in 4fx mode?
What are the per-channel FX buttons? Do you mean the buttons in the software to indicate which FX unit is on/ off for each deck?

scamo
Charline Dye
Has anyone found a way to output on/off status of the per-channel FX buttons in 4fx mode?

Want to disable the 4fx behavior, but cant workout the per-channel fx buttons feedback. There's no override option in the outputs, and strangely, it matters.

I was able to send fx on/off before the update to these buttons, but now i can't (yet). I was able to indicate assigned the fx unit state on the CF assign lights, but not to the fx button lights. Seems strange, can't call it a bug yet, as it could be my use use case.

Otherwise, for the limited time i spent on remapping, the update opens very good abilities. It was about time - 2 years of waiting. Glad i still have the S4, was believeing to replace it recently.

A good thing, i was happy to experience, is that when i was remapping the shift+fx1/2 buttons, the left shift overrides the CF assign, while the right shift had the stock mapping intact.
The Fx leds I don't believe can be changed in 4 Fx mode. Rainer of the Traktor Bible fame couldn't accomplish it prior to v2.5, and he really knows Traktor inside and out.
Laure Cantara
Would you say that 2.6 is stable enough to do gigs with???
Desire Piedmont
OK, I never changed it but I'll go and have a look.
Kecia Wnukowski
That's not a bug and that exists since the implementation of the remix decks, not 2.6. Now, each remix deck is linked to a specific deck as a source to pick up samples. You choose which source within the remix deck header. So use the copy mode to get more control about moving samples from source to slots or from slots to slots.
As a side note you don't have to have a loop running to pick up a sample, the length of the sample is defined by the loop length indicator.
Desire Piedmont
Here's a painful bug.

Today I had a loop playing in Deck A. I wanted to transfer it to a remix deck slot, so I hit the S4 button for the first remix slot on Deck C. Rather than take the loop that was playing in Deck A, the remix deck grabbed a section of the song playing in Deck B, which wasn't even looped. This is the second time this has happened to me.

Anyone else had this?
Charline Dye
You have a collection backup in your Traktor Folder. Right click track collection and select import different collection. Choose the back up folder, and then your last back up. That should get your playlists back.

Running set up wizard again might fix it for you too.
Sharyn Prado
Hi

I lost all my playllists with the upgrade, any suggestions on how to get them back. (also fyi I lost all my settings too, but have managed to recover them.

Thanks in advance
Desire Piedmont
Damn, I thought this might finally be fixed.
Francina Decosse
Well you can if you use the beat phase out, but you need to use complex modifier conditions to read/set the state.

It'll be fixed ... In more or less then 2 more short years .... LLLLLOOOOOOLLLLLLLL
Kecia Wnukowski
It's all because NI has a strange sense of humor....

You can remap the 1st buttons (fx units on/off) for decks A&C, and the 2nd one for decks B&D, whetever the fx unit you want to assign to the decks, and have the right corresponding led feedback.

but you cant' have the led feedback on the 2nd button for decks A&C and the 1st buttons for decks B&D

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

ps: that's considering the new update, not relative to previous versions.
Rey Holubar
What NI needed on the S4 was 4 Buttons/ LEDs for each deck for FX unit selection. But now that you mention it and I understand (I believe) what you are getting at, it is an interesting use case.

scamo
Francina Decosse

scamo
VanGogo got it right.

It's the FX 1/2 buttons below the Gain rotaries. Now, with 2.6 in 4FX mode, i was able to properly remap the assignments for Fx1/2, but the LEDs on the controller don't count it. I don't want their default hard assignment ch A -> FX1, B->2, C->3 .... Want it to be 1/2 assignable as in 2fx mode, but 3/4 still active for combos and custom mappings.

Either way, i believe to focus on fx combos now. The beat phase out does a good job for combos activation feedback.
Francina Decosse
Originally Posted by VanGogo
That's right. I recall it too now.

We are able to send beat phase out to them, but never a solid light. Its the same with the 2.6 as it was with the earlier 2.x. I can apply it as a workaround, but it's not worth. Prefer to have the blinks for FX combo states.

I will probably request both output override and a 4fx fix on the TOR thread at NI. They need to put a simple switch on the S4 config screen to optionally keep the 2FX mapping in 4FX mode. NI seems to be paying much more attention to the TOR, than on the feature requests section.

Cheers, thanks!
Rey Holubar
lol, Cross Fader

scamo
Charline Dye

Want to disable the 4fx behavior, but cant workout the per-channel fx buttons feedback. There's no override option in the outputs, and strangely, it matters.

I was able to send fx on/off before the update to these buttons, but now i can't (yet). I was able to indicate assigned the fx unit state on the CF assign lights, but not to the fx button lights. Seems strange, can't call it a bug yet, as it could be my use use case.

Otherwise, for the limited time i spent on remapping, the update opens very good abilities. It was about time - 2 years of waiting. Glad i still have the S4, was believeing to replace it recently.

A good thing, i was happy to experience, is that when i was remapping the shift+fx1/2 buttons, the left shift overrides the CF assign, while the right shift had the stock mapping intact.
Francina Decosse
lol, Cross Fader
Rey Holubar
What is CF?

scamo
Francina Decosse

Kecia Wnukowski
on the browse button, no you don't loose the ability to switch to midi mode.
Scamo, you can recreate a copy mode within a generic browse mode, there are ways to believe about that and duplicate it differently. It also solves the issue of having to switch decks and loose the jog option, allows to use this same option on remix decks, you can define which parameters of effects are affected, etc, etc, etc..

Those are less annoying like for example overriding the deck select button as I suppose (I didn't test) that would erase the modifier linked to deck layers meaning remapping deck layers C&D.
Rey Holubar
Ok, thanks for the info to both of you. Guess the copy mode will have to stay a limitation in my mapping.

scamo
Kecia Wnukowski
So it is possible to get rid of the copy mode, but to do that you have to map all the browse mode functions?
any re-mapping will do strictly that : erase what's previewed ('under' layers included). So everything needs to be remapped fully. And so any opther interactions the control may have with any other buttons it seems.
Charline Dye
Hey Yul. Thanks for believeing about me. So it is possible to get rid of the copy mode, but to do that you have to map all the browse mode functions?

scamo
From what I can tell with only a small amount of messing with the mapping override. When you map a function to a button and override the original function, it doesn't take any layers, modifiers, or shift into account. The button now always has that function, unless ( I'm assuming since I haven't had time to try it yet) you remap the the modifiers and functions to achieve what the stock mapping did. Problem is, if you remap using the override feature, every button you remap will lose all other functions.

So if you override the original function of the browse button, you lose browse, copy, and change to midi mode. You would have to remap everything you wanted to have like the original mapping. To do this though, would cause every remapped button to only use the new mapping.

Changes to buttons/knobs that have only one function, or have functions you don't use would be the way to go. Like gain encoders, pitch offset buttons, loop in out buttons, load buttons, etc. What ever you personally don't use. You can however add a function to the button in addition to the stock mapping. Like using the cue buttons to turn on/off flux and still having it work as a cue button at the same time.

What I did try was to map flux on/off to the load button on deck A. That worked fine, but when I switch to deck C the load button still turns flux on/off for deck A. So I need to add(not override) a toggling modifier to the deck swap button to achieve having the load button turn flux mode on/off independently for each deck.

So it's a nice feature, but limited in use, and you really have to take into account what is affected by the changes.
Charline Dye
Bug/change for loop active. Before 2.6 I could use my preset hot cued loops as just cue points with looping deactivated. Now with looping off when I hit a preset loop's hot cue looping activates automatically.
Rey Holubar
Hey Yul. Thanks for believeing about me. So it is possible to get rid of the copy mode, but to do that you have to map all the browse mode functions?

scamo
Kecia Wnukowski
* there are no more crackling sounds when searching trough effects.
Kecia Wnukowski
Yeah thought about that but it seems not as if it was coming from the list itself, that would have changed the mapping command itself. It is really something completely different as not all effects are touched, the mapping line(s) are correct, the right title for the effect applies in the fx unit header..but not the fx audio itself. As for example in some cases , my reverb (titled correctly as reverb) is actually a gater... but not all the time. Same for ttfx and some others.
As I'm dropping the add-on mappings I use to modify directly the default one now, I'll see if that something that's still here.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by Yul
S
First bug I felt into:
* (new and F%
Kecia Wnukowski
Important note:
overriding command will be applied to the control whatever the s4 layer currently used. It means that if you want to change a control only on one layer (for example a deck layer), you'll need to duplicate the deck layers change mapping with relating modifiers (ie redo the whole thing) and preview all links between buttons.

For example (that may interest Scamo for example): you can get rid of the copy mode by creating a function on the browse button but at the same time, you need to recreate the browse mode and all its features fully (ie creating a toggling modifier for a browse mode using the button and creating all commands related). It seems quite a positive thing, but for most controls that would involve quite a mapping task.
Kecia Wnukowski
* I was always annoyed in 4 units mode, that by changing deck layers, you changes also the control on the fx units (passing from deck a to c or from b to d, changes also the fx units controls from 1 to 3 and 2 to 4). Not anymore.
Just create the functions in the default mapping to control d/w and fx parameters, assign to units 1 and 2,ticking the override option.
You now have control only on fx units 1&2 even when changing layers.

You're not stuck anymore by the way fx units are routed to decks by overriding that with new commands.

* you still cannot map a button command to a fader or knob. It still indicates "inappropriate control". Why oh why?? That was something I had hope in this update. Next time maybe. I would have hoped to be able to create super knobs that can select and activates effect(s)...

* the jog mode option to control fx still doesn't work when on remix decks. The load buttons loading a sample. NI recognised that was something to be changed, not this time it seems. I'll see if by changing the default mapping now I can change that (but comes the question about deck layers/related modifiers).

* the disable jog push option affects the jog mode option: ie if you tick that option and want the jog to control the filter, the filter doesn't move... silly. Same with the fx option. The disable option and the jog mode were two separate things before and that was fine and made sense, why did they modify that??
If I'm not mistaken the load button when in jog mode fx doesn't activate the fx itself, only moves the 3rd parameter..silly also.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy