S2 Random Audio Drop outs & Serious Issues !!!

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: S2 Random Audio Drop outs & Serious Issues !!!Reply
S2 Random Audio Drop outs & Serious Issues !!!
Posted on: 30.10.2012 by Georgie Lukowiak
I got my Kontrol S2 from the DJ Tech Tools store this July, but ever since I've got it I've CONSISTENTLY been experiencing random audio drop outs, some times to the point where the S2 light up volume meters freeze and I have to unplug and re-plug the USB into my computer !

I've tried going through my preferences and trying to make the best out of it, but I've finally had enough of this! Is there anybody else who's experienced this problem ?

My computers specs are -

ACER 17.3 inch laptop
Intel Pentium Processor
T4300 (2.1GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
Intel GMA 4500M
4GB Memory
320GV HDD
DVD Super Multi DL drive

Thanks !
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by Julianne
I'm done with Traktor, expirienced too many issues. Audio drop outs were a major deal breaker.
I haven't had any issues since I started using OSX on a Macbook Pro. Just saying.
Annalisa Shogren
I cant seem to enlarge the assignment table. Any advice. I tried double clicking it.
Use the corners to expand it.
Claire Auyeung
Why do the JOGFX change back to the original settings when I push the jogwheel?
I can't set up my own Jog effects.

I secured that function so that the JogFX always sound the same after it's been changed.
This improves compatibility with other device mappings, it restores to its own S2 settings when an other device (midi fighter for instance) changes the fx settings.
The down side is that you can't make other jogfx combo's on the fly...
Here's a solution:

You can disable this "restore on jog push" function permanently:
1) Go to settings, controller manager,
Enlarge the comments column, just click on the title COMMENTS twice, it will sort alphabetically,
all the _FX settings will be at the top.

2) Find these comments _JogFX Deck* #FX name that apply to Left.Jog.Touch and Right.Jog.Touch,
'cause they trigger the restoration when Custom FX overwrite the embedded ones.
So, Remove all lines for "Effect Select 1,2 and 3" for Left.Jog.Touch and Right.Jog.Touch.
with comment _JogFX *.*

Deck A:
deck a.JPG

Deck B:
deck b.JPG

After deleting, you can make your own JogFX combo's, they won't change anymore.
Still, the original presets will be loaded if you press shift+jog turn, the old way.
If you also wanna re-map/edit the JOGFX presets, it's all done here in this mapping section with the "_JogFX" comments.

Enjoy.
Claire Auyeung
If you're on Windows, turn off the USB energy saving in your device manager.

Go to your device manager, then do this to ALL your USB root hubs.

*Right Click USB Root Hub
*Select properties
*Go to the "Power Management" tab
*Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

This might solve some dropout and connection issues.
Georgie Lukowiak
I got my Kontrol S2 from the DJ Tech Tools store this July, but ever since I've got it I've CONSISTENTLY been experiencing random audio drop outs, some times to the point where the S2 light up volume meters freeze and I have to unplug and re-plug the USB into my computer !

I've tried going through my preferences and trying to make the best out of it, but I've finally had enough of this! Is there anybody else who's experienced this problem ?

My computers specs are -

ACER 17.3 inch laptop
Intel Pentium Processor
T4300 (2.1GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
Intel GMA 4500M
4GB Memory
320GV HDD
DVD Super Multi DL drive

Thanks !
Ray Brantly
I have a HP dv7 3065dx that I was using the S2 with. I tried two different S2 controllers and it happened with both. I turned off the USB energy saving device on all three ports and tried using the USB that is on the side with just the one port. So, what else could be done? It would happen a lot when I was turning the browser knob quickly. Other times just randomly, over and over again after repeatedly having to restart Traktor pro and the controller. I also tried replacing the USB cable...
Annalisa Shogren
I'm done with Traktor, expirienced too many issues. Audio drop outs were a major deal breaker.
I haven't had any issues since I started using OSX on a Macbook Pro. Just saying.
Ray Brantly
Annalisa Shogren
I cant seem to enlarge the assignment table. Any advice. I tried double clicking it.
Use the corners to expand it.
Ray Brantly
Claire Auyeung
Why do the JOGFX change back to the original settings when I push the jogwheel?
I can't set up my own Jog effects.

I secured that function so that the JogFX always sound the same after it's been changed.
This improves compatibility with other device mappings, it restores to its own S2 settings when an other device (midi fighter for instance) changes the fx settings.
The down side is that you can't make other jogfx combo's on the fly...
Here's a solution:

You can disable this "restore on jog push" function permanently:
1) Go to settings, controller manager,
Enlarge the comments column, just click on the title COMMENTS twice, it will sort alphabetically,
all the _FX settings will be at the top.

2) Find these comments _JogFX Deck* #FX name that apply to Left.Jog.Touch and Right.Jog.Touch,
'cause they trigger the restoration when Custom FX overwrite the embedded ones.
So, Remove all lines for "Effect Select 1,2 and 3" for Left.Jog.Touch and Right.Jog.Touch.
with comment _JogFX *.*

Deck A:
deck a.JPG

Deck B:
deck b.JPG

After deleting, you can make your own JogFX combo's, they won't change anymore.
Still, the original presets will be loaded if you press shift+jog turn, the old way.
If you also wanna re-map/edit the JOGFX presets, it's all done here in this mapping section with the "_JogFX" comments.

Enjoy.
Ray Brantly
I took your advice and tried it yesterday. So far it's been better, except the audio turned off once. So, it has improved. Thanks! How do you change the effects when using the jogfx? I change them and when I use the jogfx they go back to the same ones.
Claire Auyeung
If you're on Windows, turn off the USB energy saving in your device manager.

Go to your device manager, then do this to ALL your USB root hubs.

*Right Click USB Root Hub
*Select properties
*Go to the "Power Management" tab
*Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

This might solve some dropout and connection issues.
Ray Brantly
Maybe it is my laptop. I'm new to this. lol
Ray Brantly
The same thing happens to me. The place I bought it from replaced my old S2 with a new one, and it still happens. It will sometimes say that the USB has malfunctioned and the computer doesn't recognize it. It says to replace it with a new USB or try plugging it back in again. It's not my laptop that is the problem. I end up having to restart the program after unplugging it and plugging it back in. I replaced the USB cord and I still have this issue. I would say it is a bit ridiculous for the this to be happening. I feel your pain!
Nannette Doniger
thats good to hear, i was believeing i'd run it the other way round.
but i defo believe dual boot is the way to go and now 8's out probably worth picking up.

Must admit i'm not great with windows, hence why i use the powerscript, I removed all the bloatware but when it comes to closing processes and stuff tend to be a bit wary incase shut something important down. Not really had to yet tho as I said i just get a very occasional short freeze every now and then but I am getting an f1 early next year so will probably have to look at the system again. Look at doing a dual boot then I believe
Claire Auyeung
I do run windows 8 and it's very stable and uses very few resources (after a few common sense tweaks).
The power script doesn't work with windows 8 yet, You can use the airplane mode for performing.
I use windows 8 with Traktor, and keep windows 7 for everyday tasks though.
Nannette Doniger
sure after u have sorted your latency sttings, to be fair tho i just use the powerscript and it works well, get the occasionsal half second freeze every now and then but i only use it at home so no probs there really. It runs with 8.8ms latency but since 2.6 is running a bit hot on cpu.

Has anyone tried it on windows 8 yet? I'm contemplating getting it and setting up a dual boot but probably keep Traktor on 7 and use 8 for home browsing etc as at the mo i do everything on the one machine.
Claire Auyeung
Indeed, the power script is great after you did all other tweaks!
Nannette Doniger
I use the power script from here and it helps a little.

http://www.djranking s.com/2011/08/1...-power-script/
Claire Auyeung
Your pc needs some tweaking to squeeze more power out of it.

if you have 3 usb ports on your Acer, try plugging into the side where there's only one USB Port.
Go to traktor settings, at "Audio Setup" select the Kontrol S2 Asio Driver then select settings.
Start testing different latencies, start by setting your Sample rate to 44100, Process Buffer to 512, USB to 4ms.
Keep your total latency under 20 at highest.
Now Try other settings by lowering your Process Buffer to 256, USB to 2ms. Test if this is a stable setting, if not go back.

I believe your system might work best at a total latency somewhere between 12-18ms.
Your system should be able to run Traktor without any problems. If it still doesn't run smooth, you need to tweak windows.

Disable your wifi adapter, turn off useless windows services and streamline your pc. you really need to Disable the Power Saving Option of the USB Ports and get rid of all bloatware.

Follow these steps here: http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...dio+Processing
Merideth Garnder
I had similar problems on my MacBook Air with similar specs. TP 2.5 and 2.6 is fairly intensive on the CPU and feel like your issues are latency related.....

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy