Is the s4 a better investment then the s2.

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Is the s4 a better investment then the s2.Reply
Is the s4 a better investment then the s2.
Posted on: 18.02.2012 by Eileen Sailes
Let me start out by saying that i have always wanted to be a dj but was discouraged because of the amount of gear it used to require and the financial price tag that came along with it. So I mainly focused more on producing beats and songs. But now that I am older and realize that my beats and songs are not going to reach the amount of people I would like it to do. I find that my using my knowledge gained through producing crosses over very well into mixing. I feel i can have a bigger impact and give back to the community more so mixing then simply just producing tracks that honestly most people will probably never hear.

With that out of the way, I have been mixing now for over 3 months on a bdc3000 that my buddy loaned me with bootleg virtual dj pro software that cause a headache when it comes to saving cues. So building a planned set has proven to be difficult.(ready to make the step to traktor pro already bored with vdj) Im completely in love and consumed with ideas all day long about how i can progress my mix's and take them to the next level. I'm getting about a 1000$ on my tax return and I'm having a hard time waying the pros and cons of the s2 and s4. Is it better to invest in s4 over the s2. Focus being longevity, sound quality,loop performance, and having the less amount of gear with the most capablities.
I saw that the s4 can be used as a mixer between to turntables, a big plus for me because I have loved scratching on my buddy's turntables back in the day and have a big respect for old school pioneers of the dj world and would like to explore the old traditional ways.(q-bert razorblade alcohol slide still. still gives me the chills). I would hate to invest in the s2 only to find out what i really want isnt available on the s2 or is just to much of a hassle to map out for the hardware. Is the s4 more adaptable in a professional setting vs the s2.
Basically, is the s4 worth the extra chips, and do they come with extended warranty plans ( water/ drink damage fuse blows etc. etc.)
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by sss18734
^ No, you would just be limited to only controlling two decks at a time without using modifiers
sorry....was that meant for me...?
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by GIRLCHEESE
I'm getting about a 1000$ on my tax return and I'm having a hard time waying the pros and cons of the s2 and s4. Is it better to invest in s4 over the s2. Focus being longevity, sound quality,loop performance, and having the less amount of gear with the most capablities.
Given your tight budget, I would get the S2. The S4 will basically blow the bank. Spend the extra on other stuff - headphones, monitors, a backup laptop, music - or just fold it over and leave it in your pocket for the next great toy.

The S2 is VERY capable. Once you get it, stop focusing on what you don't have, and start focusing on what you do have. Frankly, managing four decks is an ADVANCED skill. Managing two decks plus sample decks is also a challenge. Doing more than "two deck DJing" requires advanced thought, prep, and planning.

After a year with the VCI-100 and almost a year with the S2....I am just now "feeling" the limits of a two channel controller. Even so, the limits are just forcing me to get "creative"...and that's not a bad thing.

I looked HARD at the VCI-400....and decided to pick up a Maschine Mk1 (on sale) instead. I may revisit the VCI-400 in another 6 months...but I have grown REALLY attached to the S2 size.

Is the s4 more adaptable in a professional setting vs the s2.
Both S2 & S4 are "NI"....and there might be some difference between how those are perceived and how some of the controllers sold at consumer electronic stores are perceived.

I typically play at places that know ME...and at this point, they don't even look at my gear. There is just an assumption that I will get the job done with the gear that I bring. In most booths, I find it a squeeze to get an S2 setup...the S4 needs a LOT more table space.

Originally Posted by jprime
Correct me if I am wrong....but wouldn't you be restricted to only hearing 2 decks at any time rather than a possible 4 due to the 2 channel limit on the s2?
There are some mappings for 4 channel control. I run the S2 in a 2deck + 2 sample deck configuration, and I can hear all that at once. I can even layer Maschine output over Traktor output through the same S2 sound card.
Awilda Boggie
Funny you should say that...the lack of advancements from serato at NAMM has peaked my interest in the Traktor setup.
NI apparently doesn't attend NAMM but they apparently like to launch their stuff around that period, so I heard
Colene Scaglia
I started with an S4 and I absolutely love it. I'm selling it meow though just because I want to use serato instead of traktor. It's a minor change, but I can grab the ddj-SX once this is sold. If interested you can pm me as well. But yeah s4 over s2, you will surpass the s2 really fast.
Dannielle Dingey
They are both 'bad' investments money wise.

I'll explain....
The write off on midi controllers is high, I would say at least 30-40% in the first year.
Compair this with a pioneer cdj, rane mixers or a technics SL and you know it's not a good investment (dj gear almost never is)

Besides that, they are both fun to play with and plenty of people have used them OTR.
If you want to stick with one for a while, I would suggest the S4.... if you want to start and have a habit of switching to nicer stuff (called GAS) fast...then I would go for the S2 and then progress to something that suits your style (if the S2 doesn't float your boat anymore).

Good luck with the purchase !
Breanne Penge
I suppose there's some button to transfer deck control to a jog wheel or turntable...?

Sorry if my questions are n00bish :\
Erica Charvet
Corrected for less confusion. Sorry!
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by sss18734
^ No, you would just be limited to only controlling two decks at a time without using modifiers
sorry....was that meant for me...?
Erica Charvet
Correct me if I am wrong....but wouldn't you be restricted to only hearing 2 decks at any time rather than a possible 4 due to the 2 channel limit on the s2?
No, you would just be limited to only controlling two decks at a time without using modifiers. But this holds true on the S4 as well, with the exceptions of EQ's and level sliders.
Breanne Penge
Think the 4 channel S4 would be my ticket. Fortunately it's not that expensive either. I'll wait and see though, maybe a Z4 will rear it's head
Layne Koop
I'm getting about a 1000$ on my tax return and I'm having a hard time waying the pros and cons of the s2 and s4. Is it better to invest in s4 over the s2. Focus being longevity, sound quality,loop performance, and having the less amount of gear with the most capablities.
Given your tight budget, I would get the S2. The S4 will basically blow the bank. Spend the extra on other stuff - headphones, monitors, a backup laptop, music - or just fold it over and leave it in your pocket for the next great toy.

The S2 is VERY capable. Once you get it, stop focusing on what you don't have, and start focusing on what you do have. Frankly, managing four decks is an ADVANCED skill. Managing two decks plus sample decks is also a challenge. Doing more than "two deck DJing" requires advanced thought, prep, and planning.

After a year with the VCI-100 and almost a year with the S2....I am just now "feeling" the limits of a two channel controller. Even so, the limits are just forcing me to get "creative"...and that's not a bad thing.

I looked HARD at the VCI-400....and decided to pick up a Maschine Mk1 (on sale) instead. I may revisit the VCI-400 in another 6 months...but I have grown REALLY attached to the S2 size.

Is the s4 more adaptable in a professional setting vs the s2.
Both S2 & S4 are "NI"....and there might be some difference between how those are perceived and how some of the controllers sold at consumer electronic stores are perceived.

I typically play at places that know ME...and at this point, they don't even look at my gear. There is just an assumption that I will get the job done with the gear that I bring. In most booths, I find it a squeeze to get an S2 setup...the S4 needs a LOT more table space.

There are some mappings for 4 channel control. I run the S2 in a 2deck + 2 sample deck configuration, and I can hear all that at once. I can even layer Maschine output over Traktor output through the same S2 sound card.
Awilda Boggie
Funny you should say that...the lack of advancements from serato at NAMM has peaked my interest in the Traktor setup.
NI apparently doesn't attend NAMM but they apparently like to launch their stuff around that period, so I heard
Breanne Penge
Awilda Boggie
wait till NAMM 13 ends
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by Xtian317
If you plan on playing out. The S2 is more portable and easier to fit into booths with existing gear...and can be mapped to control all 4 decks (if that's a concern). If you believe you might miss the additional 4 hot cue buttons, you can add an additional controller like a Midi Fighter.
That being said, if you plan on hooking up turntables with an S2 you'll need an additional sound card.
Valery Ellick
If you plan on playing out. The S2 is more portable and easier to fit into booths with existing gear...and can be mapped to control all 4 decks (if that's a concern). If you believe you might miss the additional 4 hot cue buttons, you can add an additional controller like a Midi Fighter.
That being said, if you plan on hooking up turntables with an S2 you'll need an additional sound card.
Breanne Penge
With an S4 & turntables setup, how is the CPU overhead with some good low latency scratch settings? I'm curious.

I'm running a dual core 2.4 ghz MBP, 4 GB ram. Reckon that can handle the load?
Larraine Hannum
If you go with the s4 you have the option to add some turntables/cdj's later on, that and the dedicated filter knobs make it no contest for me.
Erica Charvet
My two cents...

I would really miss having dedicated buttons for cues 5-8 and dedicated filter knobs. That alone would turn me off from the s2.
Chong Prestwich
what about a dvs system on turntables plus a small midi controller for effects etc?

scratching is fine on the S2 as well.

found these on the tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjgOtSblfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0CnAJc7Q4
Harley Hendzel
from experience, scratching is fine on the s4. you can set the cut-in under the software settings. at the sharpest setting, cut-in is around 1-2mm.
Charline Dye
To get an extended warranty buy from Guitar Center.

From what I hear (as I am not a scratcher) the S4's cross fader isn't very good for scratching. That being said it depends on how much you really plan on scratching or do you really plan on getting turn tables anytime soon. The jogs will do for a little dabbling in scratching.

Sound quality will be the same.

IMO the S4 with its more numerous controls would be better for the sample deck control. An S2 with the upcoming Kontrol F1 would also be a good choice when TPro 2.5 comes out.

Go to your local Guitar Center and play with both and see what you believe.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy