Routing monitor channel to a channel to record?

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Routing monitor channel to a channel to record?Reply
Routing monitor channel to a channel to record?
Posted on: 05.02.2013 by Merlene Mahlmann
Hi very new to the community and I've read a lot of posts but none seem to help me specifically with my problem which leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue or possibly me just being a dumbass (most likely).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Basically I can record whatever is being played on my computers sound output on the S4 routing the sound audio from my computer into a spare channel on the S4 and use the volume controls as a gain. However I would like to record directly on the internal mixer without going through any other soundcards or RCA cables as I am doing now. I can get the monitor audio signal to play through the S4 but not on any of the recording channels so I'm just using the main volume control as a master without being able to control the gain or get an audio signal into the mix recorder, thus I have to re-route it into a channel to record. I have tried basically every possible input/output setting on both the Traktor prefs and in my computers onboard prefs for playback and recording but can't seem to find a combination to channel the computers monitor audio into a channel to record on the mix recorder. I know I'm repeating myself here but just want my problem to be clear. Should I be duplicating the master channel in any of the other outputs/inputs in order to re-route the signal so its not just passing through the S4 but goes into a channel so I can record?

Thanks in advance for any help, apart from that the S4 is amazing, as you all know!
Merlene Mahlmann
Hi very new to the community and I've read a lot of posts but none seem to help me specifically with my problem which leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue or possibly me just being a dumbass (most likely).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Basically I can record whatever is being played on my computers sound output on the S4 routing the sound audio from my computer into a spare channel on the S4 and use the volume controls as a gain. However I would like to record directly on the internal mixer without going through any other soundcards or RCA cables as I am doing now. I can get the monitor audio signal to play through the S4 but not on any of the recording channels so I'm just using the main volume control as a master without being able to control the gain or get an audio signal into the mix recorder, thus I have to re-route it into a channel to record. I have tried basically every possible input/output setting on both the Traktor prefs and in my computers onboard prefs for playback and recording but can't seem to find a combination to channel the computers monitor audio into a channel to record on the mix recorder. I know I'm repeating myself here but just want my problem to be clear. Should I be duplicating the master channel in any of the other outputs/inputs in order to re-route the signal so its not just passing through the S4 but goes into a channel so I can record?

Thanks in advance for any help, apart from that the S4 is amazing, as you all know!
Jeromy Bana
It sounds like you are trying to plug the output from the S4 into the input on your PC's built in sound card?

If that is the case, No. dont. as Makar1 said. use the built in recording feature in traktor. the S4 has a USB soundcard in it. it will record to your PC via the USB cable.

if you are not using traktor software to record (ripping vinyl though the S4's phono input for example), other programs like audacity see the S4 as a USB sound card.
Alphonso Deitchman
When recording using the S4 as your mixer, you do not use any "routing", "decks", "channels" or "inputs".

Just choose the S4 as your Traktor audio device and set the Mix recorder to Source: Internal. Then press record.
Merlene Mahlmann
Apologies, I know I didn't explain that very well,

I wish to simply record the master output of the S4 (which in this case would be the audio signal coming from the PC). The signal is passing through the S4 as it is registering on the master output (top middle of the S4). However I don't seem to be able to find a correct setting in the input/output routing to send the signal to one of the channels to record from in the mix recorder. Also on the input routing I can see the signal registering on say, channel C/D but does not come through and light up the gain on the console or on the mix recorder gain bars. Also would a possible solution be to use a separate soundcard to send the signal from the PC or use the S4 in "External" mixing mode?

Any advice much appreciated, cheers
Harley Zitka
You are still not clear. Are you just trying to record the master output of the S4?

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy