S4 as Soundcard = No headphones ?

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: S4 as Soundcard = No headphones ?Reply
S4 as Soundcard = No headphones ?
Posted on: 14.02.2013 by Bart Sandrock
On my MAC, I choose the S4 as my output device. This routes all my audio (Traktor, Live, Computer) out to my S4 as it's what my monitors are connected to. The S4 main gain controls the volume to my monitors. This works for the most part until I pony up and get a standalone interface.

The problem is the S4 headphones don't work in this configuration.

Is there a way to use the S4 as the output device and listen with my headphones?
Bart Sandrock
Originally Posted by makar1
It took me several tries to figure it out too, the settings are really confusing and unintuitive despite being on Mac.

You have to disable stream 1, enable stream 2, then set your stereo speakers to 3 + 4. Keep headphones plugged in so you can tell when it works.
Holy hell this was more complicated then it needed to be. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. However, I simply COULD NOT get the device to work how it should. I ended up aggregating both the S4 and the Internal audio in to a new device with 6 channels.
  • In Tractor, everything works as it should.
  • In Ableton live, once the new output device is selected, I can use the master out to select either 1/2 for monitors,
    or 3/4 for headphones.
  • For system audio, I have to open Audio Midi Setup and manually switch between (Configure Speakers) 1/2 for Monitors and 3/4 for headphones.

I shouldn't have to create a new device, as I don't use 5/6 for anything, but I couldn't get it to work any other way.
Bart Sandrock
Go to Audio MIDI setup, select your S4 as the "device for audio output", press Configure Speakers, untick Stream 1, tick Stream 2.

Select "left front" and "right front" as the channels from Stream 2 (they might be called '3' and '4')
I've done this.

It seems like the system won't let me set Stream 1 as 1/2, and stream 2 as 3/4. Even though I can test 1/2 and get my monitors, and I can test 3/4 and get my headphones. Whenever I make a change to Stream 1, it shows up in stream 2 as well and vice versa.

When I set BOTH streams to 3/4, it still plays over my monitors, which should be 1/2... ?

I don't know wtf is happening!?
Bart Sandrock
Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj
The S2 presents as two separate audio interfaces to the Win OS. "Master" and "Monitor". The "Monitor" is for the headphones.

In Traktor, the audio routing is setup automatically....but that where I would look first.

Well that would be helpful. Sadly, on my Mac I only see "Traktor S4" as a single output interface.
Bart Sandrock
On my MAC, I choose the S4 as my output device. This routes all my audio (Traktor, Live, Computer) out to my S4 as it's what my monitors are connected to. The S4 main gain controls the volume to my monitors. This works for the most part until I pony up and get a standalone interface.

The problem is the S4 headphones don't work in this configuration.

Is there a way to use the S4 as the output device and listen with my headphones?
Alphonso Deitchman
I believe the whole Audio MIDI setup application is a little buggy and poorly designed. I couldn't get sound out of my Audio 2's 2nd output for several minutes, trying all the different setup options.

Eventually it seemed to allow the 2nd stream and output 3/4 to be used as the main device.
Bart Sandrock
It took me several tries to figure it out too, the settings are really confusing and unintuitive despite being on Mac.

You have to disable stream 1, enable stream 2, then set your stereo speakers to 3 + 4. Keep headphones plugged in so you can tell when it works.
Holy hell this was more complicated then it needed to be. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. However, I simply COULD NOT get the device to work how it should. I ended up aggregating both the S4 and the Internal audio in to a new device with 6 channels.
  • In Tractor, everything works as it should.
  • In Ableton live, once the new output device is selected, I can use the master out to select either 1/2 for monitors,
    or 3/4 for headphones.
  • For system audio, I have to open Audio Midi Setup and manually switch between (Configure Speakers) 1/2 for Monitors and 3/4 for headphones.

I shouldn't have to create a new device, as I don't use 5/6 for anything, but I couldn't get it to work any other way.
Alphonso Deitchman

Bart Sandrock
Go to Audio MIDI setup, select your S4 as the "device for audio output", press Configure Speakers, untick Stream 1, tick Stream 2.

Select "left front" and "right front" as the channels from Stream 2 (they might be called '3' and '4')
I've done this.

It seems like the system won't let me set Stream 1 as 1/2, and stream 2 as 3/4. Even though I can test 1/2 and get my monitors, and I can test 3/4 and get my headphones. Whenever I make a change to Stream 1, it shows up in stream 2 as well and vice versa.

When I set BOTH streams to 3/4, it still plays over my monitors, which should be 1/2... ?

I don't know wtf is happening!?
Alphonso Deitchman

Bart Sandrock
Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj
The S2 presents as two separate audio interfaces to the Win OS. "Master" and "Monitor". The "Monitor" is for the headphones.

In Traktor, the audio routing is setup automatically....but that where I would look first.

Well that would be helpful. Sadly, on my Mac I only see "Traktor S4" as a single output interface.
Layne Koop

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy