The ultimate Kontrol S4 RMA history channel!

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: The ultimate Kontrol S4 RMA history channel!Reply
The ultimate Kontrol S4 RMA history channel!
Posted on: 07.03.2013 by Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

I've been in this situation for years now and finally come to the decision to tell the world.

Some of you might call me crazy for what I'm about to tell you, some will be amused, some annoyed (since broken S4s are nothing new), but most certainly NI could be pissed since they do not like negative reviews on their stuff.
But what ever, they have to face reality.

Years ago, I decided to buy a Kontrol S4, since traktor and midi can be powerful weapon!

1. Right from the start with the S4, the left jogwheel wasn't really centered and grinded on the surrounding ring + effects buttons broken.
=> RMA

2. Next S4: It wasn't possible to get the Cue-Mix-Knob out + several effects buttons were mechanically broken or needed to be pressed several time to work (like 5-10 times).
=> RMA

Had to wait over 3 weeks this time!

3. Next S4: A cue button just did not work + right pitch fader was seriously bent to on side, so it would grind on the metal plate
=> RMA

4. Next S4: I decided to let them ship one of their units to their base in Berlin, so they can check, wether it's ok or not. They said: OK, it's fine. Nevertheless I devided to go there and have a look together with management person AND and an engineer.
First S4 we unboxed, effects buttons broken.

5. Next S4: They brought another one from storage. First thing, that really stood out: A cue button was elevated severely tilted to one side, so one could'nt press it without scrubbing it over the surrounding metal edge.

6. Next S4: They seriously pulled out another S4 from storage (the last one, they had) and again effects buttons were broken. I was like: "Am I crazy or is this really happening right here?" They: "There can be production deviations, but we see, this isn't a 100% right and if you're not comfortable with this, you shouldn't take this unit."

All this got me believeing. Was pursuing to get a functional S4 really worth it or should I get something else?
I mean, normal reaction, right? But they came up with a new offer. They would order another S4, so I could have a look at it again! Yes, that is number 7.

I said yes and drove home. Don't know how long I waited after that, but it was about a week.

7. I drove to NI base once again, opened they new S4 in front of 6 eyes and guess what happend?
Yes, I know, must have been pretty embarrassing for them.
This is the first time, I asked for the return of my money and got it right away.

Pretty persistant, I am not? xD

Btw, the booked it via PayPal as if I sold something and I had to pay a fee, which I realized too late to change it!

But hey, for the love of that controller I even went further.
I stopped buying S4s from NI directly and went to a local store in Berlin, called JustMusic and bought my 8th S4.

8. First Impression, it works! Wow! A week later an fx button became irresponsive.
=> RMA

9. Next S4: Loop size encoder only changed the size upwards (confirmed physical error) + left jogwheel didn't brake as it should.
=> RMA

10. Next S4: Odd crusty glue residue on the surface, paint on the jog wheels, mechanically awkward fx buttons (but working), knobs scratching and not centered at 12 o'clock (but working).
I got on the phone with NI (I had been before, too), sent pictures to them and finally agreed, that this unit "kind of" works. I was told to stick with it until something new comes up...

... now after almost a YEAR! (hell yea!) of extremely (and by that I mean ridiculously) careful usage, the deck b fader has a slack joint and a single knob is on the verge of getting really loose.

Today, I received an answer to my support email, I wrote a few days ago. It's getting so old, I tell you that.
Unfortunately the S4 is essential to my midi setup and can't be replaced so easily. (even if I would shit money)

Can you imagine how terrible I feel? Partially I kind of feel terrible because of bothering NI again and again, imagine that!
I know it seems masochistic as hell, but I love this unit! It ultimately fulfills my needs (and I tested lot of shit), if it just were of higher endurance.

You are also probably wondering, how I managed my gigs? I don't know, but I did and it wasn't exactly fun to play with defective gear.

Ah! and last but not least they gave me a 25
Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

I've been in this situation for years now and finally come to the decision to tell the world.

Some of you might call me crazy for what I'm about to tell you, some will be amused, some annoyed (since broken S4s are nothing new), but most certainly NI could be pissed since they do not like negative reviews on their stuff.

Years ago, I decided to buy a Kontrol S4, since traktor and midi can be powerful weapon!

1. Right from the start with the S4, the left jogwheel wasn't really centered and grinded on the surrounding ring + effects buttons broken.
=> RMA

2. Next S4: It wasn't possible to get the Cue-Mix-Knob out + several effects buttons were mechanically broken or needed to be pressed several time to work (like 5-10 times).
=> RMA

3. Next S4: A cue button just did not work + right pitch fader was seriously bent to on side, so it would grind on the metal plate
=> RMA

4. Next S4: I decided to let them ship one of their units to their base in Berlin, so they can check, wether it's ok or not. They said: OK, it's fine. Nevertheless I devided to go there and have a look together with management person AND and an engineer.

5. Next S4: They brought another one from storage. First thing, that really stood out: A cue button was elevated severely tilted to one side, so one could'nt press it without scrubbing it over the surrounding metal edge.

6. Next S4: They seriously pulled out another S4 from storage (the last one, they had) and again effects buttons were broken. I was like: "Am I crazy or is this really happening right here?" They: "There can be production deviations, but we see, this isn't a 100% right and if you're not comfortable with this, you shouldn't take this unit."

All this got me believeing. Was pursuing to get a functional S4 really worth it or should I get something else?
I mean, normal reaction, right? But they came up with a new offer. They would order another S4, so I could have a look at it again! Yes, that is number 7.

I said yes and drove home. Don't know how long I waited after that, but it was about a week.

7. I drove to NI base once again, opened they new S4 in front of 6 eyes and guess what happend?
This is the first time, I asked for the return of my money and got it right away.

Btw, the booked it via PayPal as if I sold something and I had to pay a fee, which I realized too late to change it!

I stopped buying S4s from NI directly and went to a local store in Berlin, called JustMusic and bought my 8th S4.

8. First Impression, it works! Wow! A week later an fx button became irresponsive.
=> RMA

9. Next S4: Loop size encoder only changed the size upwards (confirmed physical error) + left jogwheel didn't brake as it should.
=> RMA

10. Next S4: Odd crusty glue residue on the surface, paint on the jog wheels, mechanically awkward fx buttons (but working), knobs scratching and not centered at 12 o'clock (but working).
I got on the phone with NI (I had been before, too), sent pictures to them and finally agreed, that this unit "kind of" works. I was told to stick with it until something new comes up...

... now after almost a YEAR! (hell yea!) of extremely (and by that I mean ridiculously) careful usage, the deck b fader has a slack joint and a single knob is on the verge of getting really loose.

Today, I received an answer to my support email, I wrote a few days ago. It's getting so old, I tell you that.
Unfortunately the S4 is essential to my midi setup and can't be replaced so easily. (even if I would shit money)

Can you imagine how terrible I feel? Partially I kind of feel terrible because of bothering NI again and again, imagine that!
I know it seems masochistic as hell, but I love this unit! It ultimately fulfills my needs (and I tested lot of shit), if it just were of higher endurance.

You are also probably wondering, how I managed my gigs? I don't know, but I did and it wasn't exactly fun to play with defective gear.

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Shannon Reinold
Hi guys,

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

=> RMA

Lorri Bobar
that is kinda crazy

i bought a 2nd hand s4 and there isn't a single part of it that doesn't work.

only thing i've noticed is sometimes the left tempo fader forgets it is in absolute mode (it acts more like relative mode) but i just have to remember to recalibrate if that happens (i believe it is a bug with the software, not the hardware)

buddy i believe you are cursed. maybe you should avoid technology before it kills ya!

but for reals, i hope that the next-gen s4 has the same build quality as the maschine mk2s cos they are rock solid.
Alphonso Deitchman
Nice story
May come in handy when proving to people that the S4 build quality sucks.

My S4 history isn't nearly as long but..

1. FX knob failed. RMA.

2. Intermittent headphone socket. Faceplate not stuck on properly. Browse button faulty. FX assign button faulty. Load button faulty. Jog wheel sending signals by itself. RMA.

3. Sold before it could escape its box!

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy