S4 / Mixlr / Soundflower

S4 / Mixlr / Soundflower
Posted on: 27.09.2011 by Albertina Fay
Anyone have this setup working and able to broadcast?
Albertina Fay
Originally Posted by samgawthorp
with Mixlr, do you have to be a member to listen to broadcasts or can a link be provided which allows others to listen in without having to download the software or join the site?
You can provide a link for your listeners. No need for them to sign up...
Tam Mcguiggan
Originally Posted by brocklambert
You don't need Soundflower. Just run a RCA to 1/8" cable from the S4 output to the input jack on your Mac.
Hey broklambert... What did you have to configure, as far as the midi set up, to get this to work?
Albertina Fay
Originally Posted by djpinecone
I was messing with soundflower and trying to reroute 2 ableton channels into c+d decks in traktor. I could get this to work for only about 12 mins until it gave a terrible feedback and soundflower had to be reset. I looked in soundflower community s and have found that this is a common problem. After no solution I just ran 2 outs from my firepod into the s4. extra cables and bullshit. I am interested in finding out if you were having a similar problem with trying to reroute yours for broadcast. I am interested in broadcasting myself. Good luck.
I did have the same problem. Horrible feedback after after about 10 minutes of play. I ended up reverting back to using the S4's second set of outs.
Rosalie Novarro
Originally Posted by papo218
I am sorry, but I haven't been able to start on the little write up. Hopefully, I can get to this soon.

For now, I have been using the 3.5mm to RCA cable with the secondary RCA outs on the S4.
can you please explain the soundflower way of doing it? id like to avoid another trip to guitar center!
Yajaira Hibbitts
Originally Posted by gmaister22
thats nice!
the intro is huge though !
thanks i did a long intro as i was waiting for a few people to tune in to the broadcast before i started the mix and i've always love huge intros especially the track that i was using for the intro which is by Tommy Four Seven - Armed 3
Tatiana Ruis
Hi boys,

I would like to start broadcasting via Mixlr with my S4 and MacBook Pro 15" retina and I choose plug them with RCA cables. I read support on Mixlr, DJTT articles, this community and also community of Native Instruments. But I have problem with software setup on MacBook. Look at pictures below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f4zz8fhj6...A016.22.45.png
Sorry, It is in Czech language. This is snapshot of System Preferences ("Sound") of standard MacBook Pro 15" with SuperDrive (No retina model). As you can see - there is option to choose "link input" which we need for broadcasting, right?

AND...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyr3uzpdyb...A016.23.03.png
This is snapshot of MacBook Pro 15" retina model, where IS NOT option to choose "link input"...

I tried a lot of Mac's at work - still same issue on newest models of MacBook Air 11"/13", MacBook Pro 13" with SuperDrive, MacBook Pro Retina 13"/15".
Only MacBook Pro 15" with SuperDrive show me option to choose "link input".

Please - does anyone know how can I solve this problem and start broadcasting via Mixlr on my Retina model?

BTW: I don't want to use Soundflower etc.

Thank you for reply :-)
Albertina Fay
Originally Posted by samgawthorp
with Mixlr, do you have to be a member to listen to broadcasts or can a link be provided which allows others to listen in without having to download the software or join the site?
You can provide a link for your listeners. No need for them to sign up...
Keturah Mcglashan
Tam Mcguiggan
You don't need Soundflower. Just run a RCA to 1/8" cable from the S4 output to the input jack on your Mac.
Hey broklambert... What did you have to configure, as far as the midi set up, to get this to work?
Reid Vallet
I haven't used Jack or Soundflower, but I believe I understand the limitation in Traktor that's holding you back... Traktor won't initialize TWO separate devices for audio IO. So whatever device you use for inputs MUST be the same device you use for OUTPUT. Lame, I know... (Classic NI)

This idea will effectively double your latency (and add more processing requirements), but you could route sound *into* traktor through one virtual stereo-channel, then back *OUT* of Traktor via *another* virtual channel and BACK into Ableton. There, signals can be routed to the hardware audio lines. You'll need to route 2 stereo-channels this way so your cue-monitor and Main Out have the same latency, so this 'wastes' a lot of extra bandwidth/throughput/CPU to solve what *should* be a simple problem.

Another -possible- solution would be to run Traktor INTO Ableton from the beginning. Then use Ableton's EQs, processing, and volume controls as your mixer... This, however, requires major re-believeing of your MIDI controls, layout, etc.

Just some thoughts, hope they help!

-Matt
Melissa Westerhouse
I have used jack and soundflower to try and reroute ableton thru traktor. The problem I had with jack is that it did not see the s4 soundcard and traktor (the program) as separate things. so every time I set traktor to use jack as the input it wanted to use jack as the output and I found no way to run jack thru the s4 soundcard. NOW! I have NOT used jack to broadcast but I thought this information may be helpful.
Francina Decosse
you can try JackOSX instead of Soundflower. I generally got better latency and relaibility from Jack than I got from soundflower for virtual routing.

Still, I believe the the S4 out -> MBP line-in would be my preferred choice too for such an applicaiton. The built-in ADC/DAC in the MBP is a low-end one, but when it come to low(erish) bitrate broadcasts, it's more than enough and completely justified, considering that you avoid the virtual routing layer.
Albertina Fay
Originally Posted by djpinecone
I was messing with soundflower and trying to reroute 2 ableton channels into c+d decks in traktor. I could get this to work for only about 12 mins until it gave a terrible feedback and soundflower had to be reset. I looked in soundflower community s and have found that this is a common problem. After no solution I just ran 2 outs from my firepod into the s4. extra cables and bullshit. I am interested in finding out if you were having a similar problem with trying to reroute yours for broadcast. I am interested in broadcasting myself. Good luck.
I did have the same problem. Horrible feedback after after about 10 minutes of play. I ended up reverting back to using the S4's second set of outs.
Melissa Westerhouse
Rosalie Novarro
yes neither of those cover how to get soundflower to play nicely with traktor and the s4 audio
robin loo
have you seen this tutorial?

http://blog.mixlr.com/2010/07/how-to...e-traktor-etc/

or this one?

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-ea...th-mixlr/3087/
Rosalie Novarro
I am sorry, but I haven't been able to start on the little write up. Hopefully, I can get to this soon.

For now, I have been using the 3.5mm to RCA cable with the secondary RCA outs on the S4.
can you please explain the soundflower way of doing it? id like to avoid another trip to guitar center!
Albertina Fay

Savannah England
just wanna say.. this thread was extremelyyy helpful. thankyouu
Yajaira Hibbitts
Originally Posted by gmaister22
thats nice!
thanks i did a long intro as i was waiting for a few people to tune in to the broadcast before i started the mix and i've always love huge intros especially the track that i was using for the intro which is by Tommy Four Seven - Armed 3
Britta Limehouse
thats nice!
Yajaira Hibbitts
http://soundcloud.com/pollux-13/pollux-13-presents-deep

here's a 3 hours live mix which i broadcast on mixlr few days and i archived it in soundcloud. all i can say is that im in love with mixlr. i decided not to go with soundflower this is just a simple audio out from my kp3 to the line in of my mbp, that's it
Britta Limehouse
All i do is i run a cable from the output of my S4 to the line in of my MacBook Pro and it just works...
Albertina Fay
I'll start working on it toevening .

btw: I really like Mixlr.

- Allows you to listen to live stream from iOS devices

- Sends you an email notification when someone you are following starts a live broadcast

- Archives your broadcast real-time, giving you the ability to listen to it again

- Great audio quality
Judi Sissel
Also interested. Thanks!!!
Yajaira Hibbitts
Guys:

I was finally able to setup Mixlr with Traktor S4 and Soundflower.

Everything is working great and no cables needed. If anyone is interested, I can probably make a quick write up with instructions.
please do a write up on this....i'm really interested in having my own internet broadcasting.
Hailey Westen
Guys:

Everything is working great and no cables needed. If anyone is interested, I can probably make a quick write up with instructions.
i would love that, that would be great thanks

ps. post up your broadcast link
Albertina Fay
Guys:

Albertina Fay
I was able to get it to work using the second set of outputs on the S4 using the RCA to 3.5mm jack, but I really want to get it to work with soundflower.

Anyone else here use Mixlr w/ Soundflower to broadcast from the S4?
Hailey Westen
let me know how you get on, as i too would like to know how to broadcast via the s4 and mbp 13"
Albertina Fay
There are 2 sets of outputs on the S4. Plug your monitors into one set, and then run the audio to your Mac with the other.

Trust me, it's the easiest way to do it.

got ya. I will give it a try until I can figure out the Soundflower setup.

Thanks again!
Harley Zitka
There are 2 sets of outputs on the S4. Plug your monitors into one set, and then run the audio to your Mac with the other.

Trust me, it's the easiest way to do it.
Albertina Fay
I will not be able to listen to my mix on my studio monitors. I'd prefer to use Soundflower because there are no cables involved.

Thanks for the feedback, though.
Harley Zitka

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy