Running S4/Scratch Pro/Serato SL2 together

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Running S4/Scratch Pro/Serato SL2 togetherReply
Running S4/Scratch Pro/Serato SL2 together
Posted on: 07.02.2013 by Christiana Figge
This might be a silly question or one that's been asked before (if so, please redirect me, don't want to waste anyone's time).

I was wondering if it's possible to run SL2 and Traktor at the same time from 2 decks and the S4. I run Traktor Scratch Pro with two 1210 going into an S4 with the timecode update. But my friend uses Serato. We are doing a back to back gig and I wondered if there is a way of setting up so we can both work seamlessly.

My first (and probably wrong) thought was to run the vinyls into the SL2 and out into the inputs of the S4 (3&4). He runs his laptop with the USB connected to the SL2 box. I run my laptop with the USB connected to the S4. Main comes out the S4 and into the sound system.

Will this work? Or will either the signal from the SL2 or S4 interfere? Or is the S4 simply not compatible to do this?

Thanks
Christiana Figge
This might be a silly question or one that's been asked before (if so, please redirect me, don't want to waste anyone's time).

I was wondering if it's possible to run SL2 and Traktor at the same time from 2 decks and the S4. I run Traktor Scratch Pro with two 1210 going into an S4 with the timecode update. But my friend uses Serato. We are doing a back to back gig and I wondered if there is a way of setting up so we can both work seamlessly.

My first (and probably wrong) thought was to run the vinyls into the SL2 and out into the inputs of the S4 (3&4). He runs his laptop with the USB connected to the SL2 box. I run my laptop with the USB connected to the S4. Main comes out the S4 and into the sound system.

Will this work? Or will either the signal from the SL2 or S4 interfere? Or is the S4 simply not compatible to do this?

Thanks
Alishia Crusoe
Did you end up setting this up? I am running a S4 with turntables and wanted to run Serato using the s4 as a mixer

QUOTE=whitecastle;586129]I have this same setup myself. I had been mixing for the last number of years with Serato(SL3), but was curious about Traktor so I picked up an S4. Now, I have two separate rigs, 1200/DJM400/1200+SL3, and S4.

If been wondering for a while if there was a way to run all of this together off 1 laptop, with Traktor & Serato running at the same time...[/QUOTE]
Bart Sandrock
I have this same setup myself. I had been mixing for the last number of years with Serato(SL3), but was curious about Traktor so I picked up an S4. Now, I have two separate rigs, 1200/DJM400/1200+SL3, and S4.

If been wondering for a while if there was a way to run all of this together off 1 laptop, with Traktor & Serato running at the same time...
Jeromy Bana
yes, you should be able to have deck C serato and Deck D traktor. you have to switch the Serato to passthough and the tracktor (Scratch) from live to a track deck. lot of clicking for a changeover. again you might have to adjust levels .. and of course Swap the time code disks....

I would practice it before you you ever play out like this.

this would be a PITA.. but doable.. I assume this is because you only have 2 turntables?
Christiana Figge
Hey thanks for the feedback. This is what I thought! That's great.

To thicken the plot a little more though. We both use vinyl as the main controller (I like to use the s4 for remix decks/effect control, hence why I want to keep it in the picture, but for actual mixing I use vinyl). If we were to swap around time code vinyl on the 1210s would we be able to control the music from our respective laptops/DVS systems? So (and this is going to make me go cross-eyed) if my friend is playing a track on deck A using a Serato timecode vinyl and I want to mix in a song on deck B using Traktor, would I be able to put a Traktor time code vinyl on deck B and Traktor Scratch Pro would recognise it and enable me to mix in using my laptop without interfering with the song playing on Serato with deck A.

Phew. I'm going to have a lie down for a bit... Haha
Jeromy Bana
Thinking about this made my head hurt for a moment. I don't see why this wont work. Especially on two laptops (it might work on one laptop, I have never tried running both at once).

The Traktor laptop would have to stay on (with traktor running) the entire time since the S4's mixer would shut down. you would switch deck C and D on traktor to "live input" and switch the SL-x from passthough to DVS. Channels C-D would be serato and A-B would be traktor. It should no different then if the SL is plugged into a Mixer.

The question of volume levels would have to be tested and possibly Tweaked via Gain. I see no reason for added hum or noise as long as the 1200 are grounded properly.

In theory, it would be similar to when DJ's swap from a Rane DVS box to a NI DVS box on the clubs mixer. you are just using the S4 for the mixer.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy