Can you connect the AKG 120 condenser mic to the S4??? PLEASE READ ON ASAP!

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Can you connect the AKG 120 condenser mic to the S4??? PLEASE READ ON ASAP!Reply
Can you connect the AKG 120 condenser mic to the S4??? PLEASE READ ON ASAP!
Posted on: 17.04.2013 by Christy Alberghini
I have an s4 and I plan to use to for live radio broadcasting of mixes etc etc.

I've been advised to connect a microphone to the controller so I can talk to listeners during the show.
I want to buy a condenser mic for the job for the better sound quality and was looking into the AKG perception 120 condenser mic.

I know this requires phantom power but I have the Behringer MIC800 preamp which I believe supplies phantom power.

could I plug in the P120 mic into the preamp using the balanced XLR cable, and then use the output 1/4 jack from the preamp to plug it into the back of my S4 through the channel D mic 1/4 jack?

I need this to work! If its all ok to work through this method I will buy it asap.

here is the preamp I have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MI...eywords=preamp

Cheers!
Alphonso Deitchman
Like I said already, you should not use Jack to RCA for your monitors. Use Jack to Jack, Jack to XLR, or RCA to RCA depending on what inputs your monitors have.

I'm guessing the output of the preamp is balanced or unbalanced mono, so if this is the case you should use a mono jack to 2x RCA to connect it to your S4.
$T2eC16d,!yUE9s6NFmHRBRctr-r4Mw~~60_35.JPG
Christy Alberghini
Originally Posted by makar1
Yes, you should use a 1/4" to RCA to connect your preamp to the S4. Is the preamp output stereo or balanced mono?

Do not use 1/4" to RCA for monitors on the output. Either use RCA to RCA, 1/4" to 1/4", or 1/4" to XLR.
I'm not sure. I'm not at home at the moment but here is the preamp: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MI...+preamp+mic800

And with regards to the monitors, it will be twin jack to RCA's for DJ'ing, but for production (when I start), I will use Twin RCA Phono to 2 x 6.35mm 1/4" Mono Jacks Lead Cable (2 to 1) as I don't have a soundbox.

Cheers!
Christy Alberghini
Since your MIC800 produces a Line level output, you should connect it to the RCA inputs of the S4 instead.
can I ask why the RCA? I thought that purpose was to split left and right? (sorry i'm crap with the tech side of things. I thought you could just use 1/4 jack from the preamp to the 1/4 jack in the s4?

Would you need a 1/4 jack to RCA cable then? like you would for monitors for the output?

Cheers!
Christy Alberghini
Since your MIC800 produces a Line level output, you should connect it to the RCA inputs of the S4 instead.
why the RCA and not the 1/4 jack to 1/4 jack? sorry, my music tech isn't there haha. So I'd need a 1/4 jack to RCA cable.

I thought RCA was just for splitting things left and right?

like I said. I don't know anything about this haha. My first pair of proper decks, compared to the ones I owned before.
Christy Alberghini
I have an s4 and I plan to use to for live radio broadcasting of mixes etc etc.

I've been advised to connect a microphone to the controller so I can talk to listeners during the show.
I want to buy a condenser mic for the job for the better sound quality and was looking into the AKG perception 120 condenser mic.

I know this requires phantom power but I have the Behringer MIC800 preamp which I believe supplies phantom power.

could I plug in the P120 mic into the preamp using the balanced XLR cable, and then use the output 1/4 jack from the preamp to plug it into the back of my S4 through the channel D mic 1/4 jack?

I need this to work! If its all ok to work through this method I will buy it asap.

here is the preamp I have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MI...eywords=preamp

Cheers!
Lidia Floriano
The S4 supports mono inputs. So, what makar said, but he could use a mono jack to mono RCA cable. hook up to the connector on the input channel labeled left.
Alphonso Deitchman
Like I said already, you should not use Jack to RCA for your monitors. Use Jack to Jack, Jack to XLR, or RCA to RCA depending on what inputs your monitors have.

I'm guessing the output of the preamp is balanced or unbalanced mono, so if this is the case you should use a mono jack to 2x RCA to connect it to your S4.
$T2eC16d,!yUE9s6NFmHRBRctr-r4Mw~~60_35.JPG
Christy Alberghini
Yes, you should use a 1/4" to RCA to connect your preamp to the S4. Is the preamp output stereo or balanced mono?

Do not use 1/4" to RCA for monitors on the output. Either use RCA to RCA, 1/4" to 1/4", or 1/4" to XLR.
I'm not sure. I'm not at home at the moment but here is the preamp: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MI...+preamp+mic800

And with regards to the monitors, it will be twin jack to RCA's for DJ'ing, but for production (when I start), I will use Twin RCA Phono to 2 x 6.35mm 1/4" Mono Jacks Lead Cable (2 to 1) as I don't have a soundbox.

Cheers!
Alphonso Deitchman

Christy Alberghini
can I ask why the RCA? I thought that purpose was to split left and right? (sorry i'm crap with the tech side of things. I thought you could just use 1/4 jack from the preamp to the 1/4 jack in the s4?

Would you need a 1/4 jack to RCA cable then? like you would for monitors for the output?

Cheers!
Christy Alberghini
why the RCA and not the 1/4 jack to 1/4 jack? sorry, my music tech isn't there haha. So I'd need a 1/4 jack to RCA cable.

I thought RCA was just for splitting things left and right?

like I said. I don't know anything about this haha. My first pair of proper decks, compared to the ones I owned before.
Alphonso Deitchman

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy