Kontrol S4: Single 1/4" Main Out to 3.5mm cable with adapter OK?

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Kontrol S4: Single 1/4" Main Out to 3.5mm cable with adapter OK?Reply
Kontrol S4: Single 1/4" Main Out to 3.5mm cable with adapter OK?
Posted on: 02.05.2013 by Una Frazey
So the student radio station that I'm now working at has a setup where they have a (somewhat shoddy mixer) that can connect to a laptops' out via 3.5mm output cable. Since I have a few 3.5mm to 1/4" converters I've collected over time through headphones, would it be OK to plug in the 3.5mm cable with a 1/4" converter to my S4's Main Out '1' 1/4" jack (and only that, no Main Out 2)? Are there any serious repercussions (eg only left/right channels get outputted) or is the S4/Traktor Pro 2 smart enough to port both left and right through this one cable and/or do I have to make configurations in the software or hardware to get that to happen?
Una Frazey
So the student radio station that I'm now working at has a setup where they have a (somewhat shoddy mixer) that can connect to a laptops' out via 3.5mm output cable. Since I have a few 3.5mm to 1/4" converters I've collected over time through headphones, would it be OK to plug in the 3.5mm cable with a 1/4" converter to my S4's Main Out '1' 1/4" jack (and only that, no Main Out 2)? Are there any serious repercussions (eg only left/right channels get outputted) or is the S4/Traktor Pro 2 smart enough to port both left and right through this one cable and/or do I have to make configurations in the software or hardware to get that to happen?
Alphonso Deitchman
No, it is not OK. The 1/4" TRS outputs are balanced mono and will be outputting an inverted signal to the "Right" terminal of your cable.

If you want to get signal through a 3.5mm connection you should use an RCA to 3.5mm cable.

E.g.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy