Routing Kontrol S4 into Ableton for putting VST effects on.

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Routing Kontrol S4 into Ableton for putting VST effects on.Reply
Routing Kontrol S4 into Ableton for putting VST effects on.
Posted on: 17.06.2011 by Nam Herevia
Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?

I am routing a bunch of stuff together but it all goes into the S4, so I just cant seem to get the sound from the S4 into Ableton and back through the S4 master.

I own a macbook pro if thats of any help.

-Khurag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cant really seem to find any help online for this.
Nam Herevia
Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?

I am routing a bunch of stuff together but it all goes into the S4, so I just cant seem to get the sound from the S4 into Ableton and back through the S4 master.

I own a macbook pro if thats of any help.

-Khurag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cant really seem to find any help online for this.
Loni Plier
I would greatly appreciate a s4 setup vid Killa, whats your dj name? im from St. Louis also.
Tyra Labrecque
My setup will add vst to master channel only. If you want control over individual tracks take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShO7FbOuSrQ

Problem is you will need an audio 10. I will probably make a video showing the steps I did to use only s4.
Tyra Labrecque
I have my S4 connected to live. Got two audio tracks and mdi hooked up. One audio track is for the master coming from the s4. Second audio track is for cueing. Midi track is for syncing midi between software. Live then uses s4 audio card for playing out on speakers. For vst's, I drop them in the master track in live. If I drop in audio track, then there is delay between what comes out and cue. With this setup I have full control of traktor and s4, with the added features of vst from live. Currently I have effectrix and izone. Also have machine and an oxygen keyboard to trigger vst. Don't know if this is what you are looking to do. Take a look at this thread http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=21609
Celinda Dolfi
-Using 1 fx deck in traktor configured as external fx send/receive. In traktor set an fx deck to send. Then route audio via jackosx to ableton and send it back via master output or a return track. This method doesn't require the external mixer mode.

So not possible?
Francina Decosse
Kontrol S4 is not the best tool for doing this, unfortunately. You can route the audio to ableton with either soundflower or jack osx, but you need to use external mixing mode. Once you're in external, the channel faders are inactive. The bad part is that the S4's mapping is not MIDI, but a proprietary NI standard (NHL) and the faders don't send MIDI, which ableton can read.

The workaround (haven't tried it) is to use the controller in MIDI, and have the channel faders controlling the volume levels in ableton. In this situation, you loose the high resolution of the jog wheels and the pitch faders and also, the entire display ribbons. I never tested how good is the S4 in MIDI, which might be OK or not, idk, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the displays.

there are feature requests in the NIs community to provide the infrastructure for this kind of setups. The fact is that these will be usable for both Maschine integrations and Ableton (the two companies seem to have not very friendly relationship) would just benefit from it. The requests, i gave my +1 are:
1. enable the volume level controls in external mode
2. allow external FX loop - the current send/recieve they have is for using Traktor FX with external sources. We need them to have an FX unit mode to Send/Recieve Traktor decks to ext FX processors - be it software or hardware would depend on the actual routing settings
3. integrate virtual audio routing into the NI sound card drivers. That makes great sense for me - those using their sound cards, would just be able to send audio in and out of traktor to any other program. Why do we need the overhead from Jack OS X or Soundflower (or VAC on Win) and CoreAudio aggregations.

In the near future, NI will reveal the details of the so-long-waited Maschine integration. Since Maschine could also host FX VSTs, it would make a lot of sense that it can be used for VST effecting in Traktor. Still, when I asked NI about FX routing to Maschine on the latest Traktor On the Record thread, they said it's not in the works (yet).

The best way your goal could be achieved with the current state of Traktor is to use external mixer with analogue Send/Recieve to Ableton. Probably the best choice for such a setup is the Xone:92. KS4 w/ TP2, as good as they are, are limiting - a fact ...
Celinda Dolfi
I'm Wondering about the using the fx deck in traktor to send the audio from ableton using the internal mixing mode. Why does the option to tell where to send the external fx gone when I select internal mixing mode? What are you using for the audio device in traktor, the S4 or jackrouter?
Kena Neukomm
Before reading my reply have a look at this tutorial from DJ Endo : http://blog.dubspot.com/traktor-to-a...o-route-audio/

Keep this in mind : traktor is internally restricted to only 1 external fx loop for the entire software. This means that the audio coming from traktor has to leave trough 1 stereo out and come back from Ableton by only 1 stereo input. And there is another drawback, when using this option you every deck has to pass trough this loop before leaving traktor. There is no on/off per deck !

But there is a loophole ! (yes, pun intended) if you restrict yourself to only 3 traktor decks , you can send 3 stereo outs to live, via external mixing mode, allowing fx per separate deck/audiotrack in ableton.
Yet they have to be recombined in deck D set as live input. The only setback in this case is the need for external cueing. (no worries can be done via ableton, and yes the eq in traktor still functions when in external mixing mode !)

Either way You'll need atleast 2 virtual Jacksosx input/outputs per deck, connected to 2 virtual jackosx outputs for sending sound to ableton.
Another 2/2 connection is needed for sending sound back 2 traktor

-Running 3 decks separately trough ableton and back to traktor, using a 4th deck as live input

You'll need : 6 virtual outputs connected with 6 virtual inputs for the decks in traktor, connect them in jackosx' router, sending sound from traktor (jack send port) to Ableton (jack receive port). Almost there !

In ableton start 3 audio tracks, 1 per traktor deck, using Dj Endo's method. Then route the audio back to traktor using the master channel or a return track, set to the audio-connection configured for deck D.
Inside ableton you can stack/loop/recombine fx as you wish.

-Running decks A&B individually trough ableton and sending the signals back separately to deck C&D. use the same method as mentioned before, BUT you'll have to send the audio back to traktor, via separated Return tracks, skipping abletons master output.

-Using 1 fx deck in traktor configured as external fx send/receive. In traktor set an fx deck to send. Then route audio via jackosx to ableton and send it back via master output or a return track. This method doesn't require the external mixer mode.

-TPRO2 4 decks individually processed by ableton, then send back to the looprecorder in traktor
I haven't tried this one out yet, but it should be possible to send the audio from 4 decks into ableton and route the processed signals back trough 1 stereo-input connected to the loop recorder (in TPro2 prefs : "Input Fx Send ext).

Hope this helps

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy