S4 audio help...

S4 audio help...
Posted on: 20.05.2013 by Kevin Brandin
Just got my s4, everything is working fine except no audio. Also the ! mark is blinking.
All I have for speakers are regular computer speakers. I would like for the audio to come out of my laptop for the time being.
Also should I have Asio?
Any and all help appreciated. I'm at work so won't be able to mess with settings until this evening.
Georgie Lukowiak
Originally Posted by manchild
You can try the ASIO4ALL driver.....the one big drawback is that when you are using that driver, timecode is disabled in Traktor. So if you decide to upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro and buy a turntable/cdj that you want to plug into the S4 and run timecode to use them you have to select the S4 soundcard for it to work. So you can try downloading ASIO4ALL and selecting that as your audio device in Traktor......might help
basically what I said, but yes! Do this and your problems should be solved! If you're honestly having a lot of skipping problems, it might be your computer. To ease this, turn of your wifi and get a program like 'ccleaner' , that will clear all temporary cookies and files from your computer, making traktor run a lot smoother! play with your latency as well!
Addie Engbrecht
Check to see if they are M4A files that it's not reading. If it is, then install Quicktime
Kevin Brandin
When I went to install traktor it said I needed windows 7 or higher. I was running xp.
I'll check out game boost, things are working better still the occasional snapping from the speakers.

Traktor won't read some of my music files that VDJ would, is there something that I'm missing?

Ps: the s4 is amazing!
Tera Baragan
You didn't need to upgrade windows, that would do absolutely nothing to help or better your computer for traktor.

You need game booster to turn off all the stupid things that PC has running all the time for no reason. My laptop wouldn't even play a song when I first started but once u run game booster your all good!
Georgie Lukowiak
You can try the ASIO4ALL driver.....the one big drawback is that when you are using that driver, timecode is disabled in Traktor. So if you decide to upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro and buy a turntable/cdj that you want to plug into the S4 and run timecode to use them you have to select the S4 soundcard for it to work. So you can try downloading ASIO4ALL and selecting that as your audio device in Traktor......might help
basically what I said, but yes! Do this and your problems should be solved! If you're honestly having a lot of skipping problems, it might be your computer. To ease this, turn of your wifi and get a program like 'ccleaner' , that will clear all temporary cookies and files from your computer, making traktor run a lot smoother! play with your latency as well!
Addie Engbrecht
Kevin Brandin
yes, AISO driver....
also seemed to be making some progress, turned wifi off and its not skipping anymore!
still getting snaps from my speakers, turning latency down seems to be helping, thanks for the help guys I'm almost ready to start really learning the s4 and traktor!
Georgie Lukowiak
I had the EXACT same problem!

Download the ASIO4ALL driver, and select that in your audio setup = problem solved!
Addie Engbrecht
Are you talking about the ASIO4ALL driver?
Kevin Brandin
Would you recommend updating ASIO even if your going through the s4?
Addie Engbrecht
http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=125693
Kevin Brandin
Would you have a link to the NI checklist?
Kevin Brandin
Thanks manchild!
I'll have a look and see what I find.
Addie Engbrecht
skipping and stuff is more than likely issues w/ the laptop not being able to handle the audio. You can try increasing the latency by changing buffer size and what not in the audio setup/settings......the higher the ms number is = the higher the latency, as well as tunring Wi-Fi off. Those are the easiest fixes. If that doesn't do it, then research the symptoms w/ the S4, and you will find an abundance of info on fixes, including an official NI checklist of things to do. ...........You should be able to see the external drive (F: for example) in lower left hand corner of the browser section. Just scroll thru maybe
Kevin Brandin
Got her working!
Getting lots of pops and snapping from my speakers...why is this?
Also some tracks skip...could this be because my laptop can't handle traktor?
Lastly how does one access their external hard drive in traktor?
Kevin Brandin
Just thought it over and I have a stero to 1/4" gonna try that.
Noob'd
Kevin Brandin
Really dont want to spend anymore money right now. Just bought the s4 and had to upgrade windows.
Kevin Brandin
Hey guys sorry I work like a mule (70 plus hours a week, lobster fishing) I'm going to take a look at it toevening . Been too tired to do anything. But I'm rested and ready to take another crack at it toevening .
I'm gonna try to plug my Bose speakers directly into the S4.
I'll report back. Thanks, I can't wait to start using this machine.
Addie Engbrecht
......if it's not easily possible then you'll either have to find a new pair of speakers or ......
.......smartass
Alphonso Deitchman
It's certainly possible to connect the S4 to any computer speakers, and buying the necessary cable or adapter makes more sense than buying new speakers.
Addie Engbrecht
Originally Posted by bisco
Thanks again for your time guys.

I was hoping by purchasing this unit that I would be able to use the built in sound card to monitor and cue my tracks.
I have a DJ/iO (Numark) would this eleaviate some issues?
I bought it to use with vDJ and my mpd 32 but alas no luck for monitoring and cueing.
You can with the S4, but if your speakers that you want to use aren't connected to it, then it's not going to play thru them. You can create an aggregate device thru ASIO4ALL and combine soundcards, but that might be above your head right now.....cross that bridge another day if needed. Just find a way to physically connect your speakers to your S4 main outputs........if it's not easily possible then you'll either have to find a new pair of speakers or download ASIO4ALL and research how to create an aggregate device and select that as your audio output.
Alphonso Deitchman
You do not need any additional sound cards. How have you set your Traktor Audio settings and Output Routing?

Did you read the guide I linked above?
Kevin Brandin
Thanks again for your time guys.

I was hoping by purchasing this unit that I would be able to use the built in sound card to monitor and cue my tracks.
I have a DJ/iO (Numark) would this eleaviate some issues?
I bought it to use with vDJ and my mpd 32 but alas no luck for monitoring and cueing.
Addie Engbrecht
you need to select your computers soundcard as the audio device the way you have it set up. Obviously this is not ideal for a couple reasons A) Prob not as good of sound quality as the S4 soundcard B) It's not a low latency DJ soundcard like the S4 C) more than likely it has only one channel......meaning you can not use your headphones to monitor and you cannot plug in any external device like a CDJ or turntable.
Alphonso Deitchman
http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=185491
Kevin Brandin
I may have tried that last evening . I will have to change my out puts right?
Kevin Brandin
Cool ill give that a try. Thanks for your input.
Alphonso Deitchman
You need to choose "Traktor Kontrol S4" as your Audio device in Traktor settings. Plugging speakers and headphones into the S4 is the easiest way.
Kevin Brandin
Also my computer speakers would be plugging into my laptop...
Kevin Brandin
I did install everything that came with it. It was confusing so I believe I went with DJ8 or something along those lines, it was the first choice from each option.
I guess I could try to plug my speakers into the s4.
Just trying to figure out the easiest way.
Alphonso Deitchman
If you have computer speakers, why do you want audio to come out of the laptop?

Did you install the S4 drivers?

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy