Traktor S2 Repair Log

Traktor S2 Repair Log
Posted on: 02.05.2013 by Gaynell Rydberg
I saw a ton of S2s and S4s on eBay selling on eBay for pretty cheap (broken of course), so I decided to pick on up for a little over 100 bucks.

This S2 in particular turned on (since I hate dealing with electrical issues), but it was in kinda bad physical condition. Not the worst I've ever seen though. So far, it looks like I need to replace 2 pots, 1 encoder, and a cross fader. Some of the buttons are extremely stick, and some don't work.

This was definitely used in a bar setting. Sticky residue all over it when I received it. After a really quick clean:

Here it is!

Broke the seal!

Opened up!

Remove the three top boards (faders, cue, and sound card)

You can see some residue on the faders.

Sound card removed. Leaving all the screws in place. You can see NI was really nice and marked which holes should have screws and which ones dont.

Cue card removed. Push in the cue mix and volume in to make removal easier.

Remove the jog wheels. This is done by unscrewing the four screws on the plastic ring. The jogwheel comes out the front.

Unscrew the rest of the screws holding down the main board....

Done!
Clarinda Griser
No worries- i was about to crack into it and checked this thread this morning- everything went smoothly with your pictures, shot a little contact cleaner into each microswitch and let it sit for 4 hours before wiping the board clean and everything is good as new new- though the channel faders actually feel a bit sticky with the cleaner. even so, everything is working as new now. thanks!
Gaynell Rydberg
Sorry, just saw this.

It's pretty easy to open it up. It's only difficult to desolder the pots and whatnot.
Clarinda Griser
i tried to post this yesterday but it didn't seem to go through:

I have a used S2 with some finicky sample and transport buttons- the rubber ones at the bottom. controller looks like the last user mashed them a bit. essentially i have to push them very confidently with snap mode on for them to come close to working.

in S4 disassembly videos they show it as nearly impossible to take apart on one's own, but this thread makes it look somewhat easy for the S2. I'd like to just get in under the buttons with some spray contact cleaner. is this possible or likely to work for worn down buttons?
Clarinda Griser
Hi- I'd like to check in on this thread for a bit more information. I picked up a similarly cheap S2 mk1 that has some unresponsive cue and sample buttons- they look like they've been mashed a bit, and they work, but i have to press harder than I should and they aren't as predictable as they should be in terms of timing.

I'd like to open it up and shoot some contact cleaner in under the buttons but am unsure how easy it will be to get there- other posts, especially more specifically on the S4 are pretty clear that this is near impossible to do because of the way the main board is fixed to the front or top of the controller:

Anyhow, just hoping to hear that the S2 is actually quite easy, accessible and that the contact cleaner is going to make this thing like new.
Adela Monheit
Hello, I'm having a problem with the power socket on my s2. The pin that sits inside the socket has fallen out and when I place it back in it does not fit securely. Power still feeds to the controller however it continues to sit loose and easily falls out. Any advice on how to fix this?
Gaynell Rydberg
I saw a ton of S2s and S4s on eBay selling on eBay for pretty cheap (broken of course), so I decided to pick on up for a little over 100 bucks.

This S2 in particular turned on (since I hate dealing with electrical issues), but it was in kinda bad physical condition. Not the worst I've ever seen though. So far, it looks like I need to replace 2 pots, 1 encoder, and a cross fader. Some of the buttons are extremely stick, and some don't work.

This was definitely used in a bar setting. Sticky residue all over it when I received it. After a really quick clean:

Here it is!

Broke the seal!

Opened up!

Remove the three top boards (faders, cue, and sound card)

You can see some residue on the faders.

Sound card removed. Leaving all the screws in place. You can see NI was really nice and marked which holes should have screws and which ones dont.

Cue card removed. Push in the cue mix and volume in to make removal easier.

Remove the jog wheels. This is done by unscrewing the four screws on the plastic ring. The jogwheel comes out the front.

Unscrew the rest of the screws holding down the main board....

Done!
Gaynell Rydberg
Some people have had luck with desoldering pots. I believe the parts on the soundcard are desolderable.

I am only using a soldering station though. You might have better luck if you have an actual Hakko desoldering station.
Lilliana Perris
mmmm...seems they are trying to make them unrepairable then....

Gotta buy a new one if it fucks out? No DIY repairs?

Harsh....
Gaynell Rydberg
NI does some weird stuff where I can only desolder certain terminals. It's as if they purposely melt the contacts or something.

I had the same issue when I was desoldering the faders.

I was able to desolder the 2 contacts on one end, and the two contacts out of the four on the other end that were on the edge. The middle two were absolutely impossible to desolder. This problem happened with all three of the faders so I don't believe it was a one time occurrence.

Usually, I can desolder the pins just fine, it's just the locking lugs that are near impossible to remove. I have the soldering iron close to 900*F too.
Lilliana Perris
Whats the deal with the pots?

Are they fitted in some whack way that you cant use a solder sucker?

Or am I missing something?
Gaynell Rydberg
They don't.

I've given up on this since I can't desolder the pots. I am using the S2 for parts.
Nicki Fromme
can you let me know if the pitch faders have a click in the middle or not?

if you need the faders you can get here :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181156391034...84.m1558.l2649
Charline Dye
Good luck with the repairs!

Nice of you to document and share the process!
Gaynell Rydberg
Got my soldering iron, replacement pots and encoders in.

Unfortunately... I can't seem to desolder the pots and encoders It might just be a really bad stock tip. I'm believeing this board is already toast, but we'll see. Already have new tips coming in, and I will continue after my MCAT next week.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy