Disassembling the Kontrol S4 / Potential Custom S4 Build

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Disassembling the Kontrol S4 / Potential Custom S4 BuildReply
Disassembling the Kontrol S4 / Potential Custom S4 Build
Posted on: 26.05.2011 by Keva Sheward
I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the center circuit board (With the channel faders and EQ knobs) on the Kontrol S4? I removed the screws that I though needed to be removed and maybe I
Lavette Zediker
Originally Posted by Parker Chase
I
Keva Sheward
Originally Posted by midifidler
I have disassembled the office S4 as much as I dare - it is difficult.

The IO pcb on the back is easy enough to remove, however the PCBs which hold the mixing section and deck sections seem to be held in place from the front as well, this could well mean having to pull the front panels off which are likely glued or taped in place - unless you are very confident with this kind of work do not force anything!
You believe they
Keva Sheward
I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the center circuit board (With the channel faders and EQ knobs) on the Kontrol S4? I removed the screws that I though needed to be removed and maybe I
Lisa Lochotzki
Thanks, I saw the video he posted the other evening . I have an innofader in my DJM800 but it's too large for the S4. You would definitely have to cut a hole in the bottom. (not that big of a deal if that's what it takes) I'm not sure what model Telly is testing for them right now but I'm definitely anxious to find out the details.
He's working with the Innofader guy. He have a special ALPHA model. Nothing available as of yet.
Keva Sheward
Originally Posted by djmif
Maybe there's other buttons there would fit ? Try to have a look here: http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/arcadeparts.htm
Thanks for the suggestion. At first I had the same thought but the problem is that the side boards run the entire length of the unit and are pressed up against the top plate. I'll try to dig up my camera today to show everyone. Unfortunately the only way I see that it could work is to make the top plate larger.
Keva Sheward
Originally Posted by DJKeyWee
User TeLLy on NI community already opened the S4 and also have an Innofader fitted inside. Pretty sure this guy will give you some hints if you ask.
Thanks, I saw the video he posted the other evening . I have an innofader in my DJM800 but it's too large for the S4. You would definitely have to cut a hole in the bottom. (not that big of a deal if that's what it takes) I'm not sure what model Telly is testing for them right now but I'm definitely anxious to find out the details.
Lavette Zediker
I
Keva Sheward
Originally Posted by DJ Shifty Sheep
I wouldn't dare void my warranty. Would it not be easier to just get a 2nd controller for ableton & then custom building a midi fighter type controller?
My warranty is already void but opening the S4 up unfortunately. I'm not too worried about that though. I'm planning on putting an inofadder in anyway so it was inevitable.

I have many other controllers that I could use. What I'm trying to do is route the audio from Traktor into Ableton to take advantage of post fader effects, the smartmixer setup and for recording. Unfortunately in external mode the channel faders no longer work in Traktor and can't be programed in Ableton in NHL mode. I've started working on my own midi mapping but I'm having problems mapping the jogs. I posted a separate question on that issue.

Coming from a turntablist background using the S4 jogs and then a separate controller for the faders would not work for me.
Keva Sheward

The IO pcb on the back is easy enough to remove, however the PCBs which hold the mixing section and deck sections seem to be held in place from the front as well, this could well mean having to pull the front panels off which are likely glued or taped in place - unless you are very confident with this kind of work do not force anything!
You believe they
Keva Sheward
Giuseppina Miglin
I know this is a very old thread, however the question was never clearly answered and this is actually the top search result if you Google "Kontrol S4 Disassembly"

So I attempted this on my own yesterday after not being able to find any info on taking it apart. Along the way I shot this video showing how, or why not you would want to take apart a S4.

Just as a update, being really careful about the amount of heat used I was able to get off all of the other panels without damaging anything like I did in the video.

Dj Tykarma
I'd be interested to know if it's possible to remove the small round led-backlit buttons on the center (those for the sampler) and on the top (for the FX).

I'd like to clean my S4 and I don't want to break anything or void my warranty.

Those who tried disassembling it, did you have to remove screws in order to remove this buttons or did you just pull them ?
Lisa Lochotzki
He's working with the Innofader guy. He have a special ALPHA model. Nothing available as of yet.
Keva Sheward
Originally Posted by djmif
Maybe there's other buttons there would fit ? Try to have a look here: http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/arcadeparts.htm
Thanks for the suggestion. At first I had the same thought but the problem is that the side boards run the entire length of the unit and are pressed up against the top plate. I'll try to dig up my camera today to show everyone. Unfortunately the only way I see that it could work is to make the top plate larger.
Keva Sheward
Originally Posted by DJKeyWee
User TeLLy on NI community already opened the S4 and also have an Innofader fitted inside. Pretty sure this guy will give you some hints if you ask.
Lisa Lochotzki
Lavette Zediker
I
Keva Sheward
Originally Posted by DJ Shifty Sheep
I wouldn't dare void my warranty. Would it not be easier to just get a 2nd controller for ableton & then custom building a midi fighter type controller?
My warranty is already void but opening the S4 up unfortunately. I'm not too worried about that though. I'm planning on putting an inofadder in anyway so it was inevitable.

I have many other controllers that I could use. What I'm trying to do is route the audio from Traktor into Ableton to take advantage of post fader effects, the smartmixer setup and for recording. Unfortunately in external mode the channel faders no longer work in Traktor and can't be programed in Ableton in NHL mode. I've started working on my own midi mapping but I'm having problems mapping the jogs. I posted a separate question on that issue.

Coming from a turntablist background using the S4 jogs and then a separate controller for the faders would not work for me.
Keva Sheward

You believe they
Luis Whetsel
Adolf Hit

Leeanna Ayla
I'm very, very interested in seeing pics.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy