For those thinking about disassembling a S4

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: For those thinking about disassembling a S4Reply
For those thinking about disassembling a S4
Posted on: 20.06.2013 by Giuseppina Miglin
So I was brought to this community by Googling "Kontrol S4 Disassembly"

And was lead to a thread that had no real answers on how to remove the front three circuit boards.

Well I attempted it myself and shot a short video of where I am so far with it. So you can see how, or why not, to disassemble your S4 past the main cross fader.

Giuseppina Miglin
Originally Posted by kooper1980
Explain again why you felt the need to open it up in the first place?
It's owner decided to set up near a pool, as a guest cannon balled into the pool water was splashed onto the control damaging a couple components. So for me this is a repair job cleaning and replacing the damaged components.
Giuseppina Miglin
So I was brought to this community by Googling "Kontrol S4 Disassembly"

And was lead to a thread that had no real answers on how to remove the front three circuit boards.

Well I attempted it myself and shot a short video of where I am so far with it. So you can see how, or why not, to disassemble your S4 past the main cross fader.

Giuseppina Miglin
Originally Posted by kooper1980
It's owner decided to set up near a pool, as a guest cannon balled into the pool water was splashed onto the control damaging a couple components. So for me this is a repair job cleaning and replacing the damaged components.
Kristofer Krauel
Emelina Chillson
I didnt knwo it was three different main boards. My biggest beef with the s4 is the placement of the jog wheels above the buttons..... I believe I know a way to fix that.
Giuseppina Miglin
Well, thanks, but just as a update I did get the other side and even the center and top glue on covers off without harm. I just had to be much more conscious about how much heat I was applying.

And just for reference, both sides only use two nuts on the knob to tie it to the front... The center uses A LOT, on every knob.

But I do have everything out, and was able to try to clean the damaged components before ordering replacements. I actually set everything back up and insulated all the circuit boards from each other so I could test everything, here is a pic.

So in the end this should be fine, I ordered a acrylic sheet and will cut out and place custom graphics on both sides, I suppose I could do the center also... but would like to have this done next week.

Kellie Myrum
Wow man, sorry to hear that... At least this post will make others to believe twice before trying to crack it open.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy