Stick with the Twitch or ditch?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Stick with the Twitch or ditch?Reply
Stick with the Twitch or ditch?
Posted on: 25.03.2013 by Avis Lekic
I have had the Novation Twitch now for about 4 months and have loved using it. But I still haven't learned to beat match using it and I am feeling a bit limited with Serato Itch.

I was looking at the Traktor S4 but would this be a good 'upgrade' or should I just stick with the Twitch. I have also just bought some turntables but have no mixer and I cant use them with the Twitch as it has no inputs.

Any suggestions would be great? Is Traktor anygood?

P.S I have a budget of about
Avis Lekic
Originally Posted by makar1
All he's doing is pressing play on two syncced tracks (at the correct time at least) and turning a few knobs. Seems like a perfect example of how controllerists with so much creative potential do nothing that can't be achieved with 2 turntables and a very basic mixer.

Was the F1 in use at all during the set? The crowd seemed quite dead when you panned over.
I need to learn to beatmatch so ill go with a hardware mixer, thanks for the help
Janyce Henningson
If you're trying to advocate the use of the F1, it might be better to post videos with it in use?
lol, yeah and that video is just 3 tracks mixed A>B..

Now who was it that was criticising A>B mixing so much, can't believe now
Doreen Schurle
Was the F1 in use at all during the set? The crowd seemed quite dead when you panned over.
Yeah, he's a producer as well so was using the F1 for his own tracks, selectively applying FX and filters to each stem during the mix. Feedback from the audience pegged his as the best set of the weekend
Avis Lekic
Originally Posted by Nicky H
Mate you have asked this question on a few threads and you seem a bit confused - I'm not surprised because you will get a dozen different answers about set-ups on here - that's the good thing about digital dj'ing - it's opened the market, made it affordable and given lots of choices to the buyer.

If you're not happy with the Twitch then I reckon the DVS way is the go for you - you've already got the decks so it makes sense.
First decide whether to stay with Serato or switch to Traktor.

Then you need a certified sound card and a mixer or a certified mixer.

With the budget you have I would sell the Twitch then get a Denon DN-X1600.

Ok thanks i am a bit confused with all the different options, believe ill go with what you said
Avis Lekic
Originally Posted by smittten
The s4 is a good option other than you can't run it as a standalone mixer - you'll need to run everything through Traktor. For a lot of people that's not an issue. If you do want the ability to play vinyl without the need for Traktor, the z2 is worth a look (I own both). If you are planning on keeping the twitch you can map it to run alongside the z2. You have lots of options..
ideally i was looking for something with 4 channels, this is a mixer mainly for house parties.

What about a mixer, a audio interface and two x1's ?
Avis Lekic
All he's doing is pressing play on two syncced tracks (at the correct time at least) and turning a few knobs. Seems like a perfect example of how controllerists with so much creative potential do nothing that can't be achieved with 2 turntables and a very basic mixer.

I need to learn to beatmatch so ill go with a hardware mixer, thanks for the help
Janyce Henningson
If you're trying to advocate the use of the F1, it might be better to post videos with it in use?
lol, yeah and that video is just 3 tracks mixed A>B..

Now who was it that was criticising A>B mixing so much, can't believe now
Alphonso Deitchman
Doreen Schurle
Yeah, he's a producer as well so was using the F1 for his own tracks, selectively applying FX and filters to each stem during the mix. Feedback from the audience pegged his as the best set of the weekend
Alphonso Deitchman

Doreen Schurle

Guest DJ from Sunday evening absolutely killing it on a Twitch/F1 combo with Traktor.

To a certain extent, it's not the gear anyway, it's how you use it (as long as it's got enough functionality).
Avis Lekic
Originally Posted by Nicky H
Mate you have asked this question on a few threads and you seem a bit confused - I'm not surprised because you will get a dozen different answers about set-ups on here - that's the good thing about digital dj'ing - it's opened the market, made it affordable and given lots of choices to the buyer.

If you're not happy with the Twitch then I reckon the DVS way is the go for you - you've already got the decks so it makes sense.

Ok thanks i am a bit confused with all the different options, believe ill go with what you said
Johnetta Olewine
buy a z2, and use your turntables. You wont look back
Janyce Henningson

Avis Lekic
Originally Posted by smittten
The s4 is a good option other than you can't run it as a standalone mixer - you'll need to run everything through Traktor. For a lot of people that's not an issue. If you do want the ability to play vinyl without the need for Traktor, the z2 is worth a look (I own both). If you are planning on keeping the twitch you can map it to run alongside the z2. You have lots of options..
ideally i was looking for something with 4 channels, this is a mixer mainly for house parties.

What about a mixer, a audio interface and two x1's ?
Len Lukawski
Alphonso Deitchman
Go with a hardware mixer. You won't regret it.
Avis Lekic
I could probably go up to
Delfina Suedmeyer
Originally Posted by Sambo
This. I bought my F1 second hand, mint condition with all parts for
Jetta Drenzek
Originally Posted by sicnarf033
sounds good. but an s4 and f1 would be way over 650.
This. I bought my F1 second hand, mint condition with all parts for
Delfina Suedmeyer
Originally Posted by jacksoe12
i was believeing of selling my kit and getting an all in one solution so Traktor s4 (which I could use my turntables with) and a Traktor f1 for remix decks
sounds good. but an s4 and f1 would be way over 650.
Jeffrey Akinsanya
if i was you id stick with twitch there will be no gain going to a s2!

if you were to upgrade i'd look at the pioneer ddj sx but i guess bang for buck goes to the s4 as you could get the scratch upgrade for your TT's.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
reloop terminal mix 4 or 2. They have long 14bit pitch faders, great jogs understated looks and a solid construction. IMO they are the best in their class especially when it comes to beatmatching... never used it with traktor only VDJ Pro and serato intro but I believe dj angelo made a promo vid of the TM4 using traktor.

Reloop support is pretty bad though as they outsource the manufacturing to hanpin in china, although they do consistently update the firmware for their controllers which is always welcome.
Avis Lekic
Originally Posted by sicnarf033
you can definitely pick up a traktor s2 with that budget and practice beat matching on those jogs. but keep in mind the jog wheels arent as sturdy. i have a s4 and i have to agree with some people on here, that the jog wheels are not the best. button/knobs are good not great. this is saying with respect to the product and company because i love my s4. just wish they had a better built so that they can compete with ddjsx.
i was believeing of selling my kit and getting an all in one solution so Traktor s4 (which I could use my turntables with) and a Traktor f1 for remix decks
Delfina Suedmeyer
you can definitely pick up a traktor s2 with that budget and practice beat matching on those jogs. but keep in mind the jog wheels arent as sturdy. i have a s4 and i have to agree with some people on here, that the jog wheels are not the best. button/knobs are good not great. this is saying with respect to the product and company because i love my s4. just wish they had a better built so that they can compete with ddjsx.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy