I need help choosing a usb hid to use in my project

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: I need help choosing a usb hid to use in my projectReply
I need help choosing a usb hid to use in my project
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Mildred Dumoulin
Hi. I just joined today so that I could ask you this:

what, easy to use, no-need-to-program, usb HID DIY controller would have at least 32 digital and analog inputs?

I know it's not really long, but that's all I need.
Tonda Ramming
Originally Posted by lantaren

what, easy to use, no-need-to-program, usb HID DIY controller would have at least 32 digital and analog inputs?

Hello lantern need your help a bit. I am working on college level project. There is some role of HID DIY controller. Being student i dont want to purchase new one so can you tell from where I could get second hand controller? Waiting for reply. Thanks in advance
Arcelia Siebeneck
highly liquid wasn't what I was looking for either.
Just out of interest, why didn't you like the Highly Liquid option? It's one of the cheapest choices and is an excellent product (supports encoders, has amazing product support on their community s, cheap, etc)

Just get a usb to midi adapter and install it inside the case.
Mildred Dumoulin

Gaynell Rydberg
Where you buy everything used.... eBay.
Tonda Ramming

Hello lantern need your help a bit. I am working on college level project. There is some role of HID DIY controller. Being student i dont want to purchase new one so can you tell from where I could get second hand controller? Waiting for reply. Thanks in advance
Mildred Dumoulin
thanks for all the help MIL0.

Is there a way that I can use the highly liquid boards in a series? example : by using 3 and connecting them together to make 1 controller?

otherwise, I don't believe that only 12 analog inputs will cut it for me since I needed more control.

and how would I do this matrix? Isn't that just converting the digital input into analog by using various resistors and having a program convert those signals back into a button press? or how would that work?

(sorry if I don't know much about electronics and all. I'm just starting to get into DIY electronics - normally I just mod stuff like putting LED's into a computer mouse when a button is pressed or some useless thing like that.
Arcelia Siebeneck
Highly Liquid has 24 physical inputs but if you use buttons you can wire them up in a matrix:

http://community .highlyliquid.net/showthread.php?t=526

You're still limited to 12 analogue inputs as a maximum though.
Mildred Dumoulin
I didn't choose highly liquid as it only has 24 Inputs. I needed over 32 for my project(s)

as for UMC32 having the 8 extra digital pins in addition to the other 32, yay! exactly what I need for my project(s).

I'll post back here if I ever do get to actually make this... although I may drop the leds, they seem kind of pointless to cost what they do for what I need.

as for case wise, what would you guys recommend? I was just going to use some wood since it seemed fairly stable.

BTW, all components will be bought from sparkfun.
Arcelia Siebeneck
highly liquid wasn't what I was looking for either.
Just out of interest, why didn't you like the Highly Liquid option? It's one of the cheapest choices and is an excellent product (supports encoders, has amazing product support on their community s, cheap, etc)

Just get a usb to midi adapter and install it inside the case.
Era Roka
I'm verry happy to tell you that these 8 digital inputs are NOT includid in the 32 D/A so its actually 40 !!
Darcey Kinnett
Trust me, get the one with MIDI output. Converters are a pain in zee asssss
Mildred Dumoulin
okay? I figured I will use UMC32 if needed. It's a bit pricey for the amount of input I was going to use (16 buttons & 18 analog inputs, don't need to spend the extra money for another one for only 2 more inputs... or do I not have to?).

There also seems to be 8 AUX pins, are those accessible as separate digital inputs from the other 32, or are they included?

this is one of the designs I have come up with (for limitations of budget, and regarding input limit if AUX doesn't do what I believe it does)

my design has 15 sliders, 9 knobs, 9 buttons, putting it at 33 Inputs, but I will take out the top left button and replace it w/ an on/off switch or something...

blue circles are LED indicators for their control.
squares are buttons
the rest should be self explanatory.
B = Bass,
M = Mid,
T = Treble.

(I have horizontal and vertical bass, mid, and treble sliders because horizontal ones control frequency, and vertical ones control the "power?" of the frequencies.

( I know I''m not the best artist, but it works.)

Era Roka
The umc is midi so its plug&play no stupid converters
Mildred Dumoulin
Thanks I believe that I might use UMC32 , but It seems a bit expensive to get two of them for what I need... I was looking towards below $100 for 64 configurable inputs (if not, 32 analog and digital preset ones)... don't believe that's possible now though...

I would have used either U-HID or the BUO836, but niether had enough analog inputs.

as for livid, that seems a bit more expensive then I was looking for, although if my project was larger, then I would definitely use it. and highly liquid wasn't what I was looking for either.
do you know of any 64 input devices (1 single one, not two together)?
Arcelia Siebeneck
have a look in the 'threads of interest' link in my sig - there are loads of threads that have answered this question in the past.

off the top of my head; Livid, Highly Liquid & UMC32 should do what you want with relative ease (minimal programming).

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy