Stuck between S4 or mixer + x1

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Stuck between S4 or mixer + x1Reply
Stuck between S4 or mixer + x1
Posted on: 30.05.2013 by Avis Lekic
Please can someone tell me an advantage or disadvantage of buying a s4 over a setup of a 4 CHANNEL mixer and an x1 (+sound card)?

I dj at party's a lot but most of my djing is done in the studio.

The S4 is getting old now and just wondered whether it would be better to buy a mixer and x1 over a s4 or the other way round?
Verlene Geevarghese
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
You don't need pitch faders or jog wheels to beatmatch with the X1. You have pitch bend buttons for that.
I believe people have forgotten this for some reason. Nudging tracks that haven't had their grids corrected yet into phase is a pretty easy task. And if you're mixing externally how do you not have access to faders? Last I checked most (all) mixers have those .
Olin Easley
Originally Posted by chrisastro
Keep in mind that with an external mixer and an x1 you will most probably have to use sync and you will not have access to faders. For me this is an issue because traktor's sync capabilities are not always on point. Also if the sync is slightly off you will not have jog wheels to slightly adjust your mix.
You won't have that problem if you (and you should) beatgrid your tracks.
Avis Lekic
Please can someone tell me an advantage or disadvantage of buying a s4 over a setup of a 4 CHANNEL mixer and an x1 (+sound card)?

I dj at party's a lot but most of my djing is done in the studio.

The S4 is getting old now and just wondered whether it would be better to buy a mixer and x1 over a s4 or the other way round?
Verlene Geevarghese
Ahh pitch faders. Silly me.
Alphonso Deitchman
Mixers do not have pitch faders. Last time I checked anyway.
Verlene Geevarghese
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
You don't need pitch faders or jog wheels to beatmatch with the X1. You have pitch bend buttons for that.
I believe people have forgotten this for some reason. Nudging tracks that haven't had their grids corrected yet into phase is a pretty easy task. And if you're mixing externally how do you not have access to faders? Last I checked most (all) mixers have those .
Latoria Kavulich
even better: mixer and TWO X1's
Wei Lebeaux
Mixer and X1. I have a Nuo 2.0 and an X1. With a very lightly modified mapping, I can perform very easily; it also fits in a 10 inch mixer case with no problems. The reason I wouldn't go for the s4: sooner or later you'll want decks. When you want decks, be it CDJ or Vinyl, you'll need a mixer. And if you go mixer+x1, VOILA you already have a mixer!

Just my .02
Olin Easley
Originally Posted by chrisastro
Keep in mind that with an external mixer and an x1 you will most probably have to use sync and you will not have access to faders. For me this is an issue because traktor's sync capabilities are not always on point. Also if the sync is slightly off you will not have jog wheels to slightly adjust your mix.
You won't have that problem if you (and you should) beatgrid your tracks.
Gaynell Rydberg
Brunilda Gamez
External Mixing has better quality but it's portability is not as great as that of an S4. Keep in mind that with an external mixer and an x1 you will most probably have to use sync and you will not have access to faders. For me this is an issue because traktor's sync capabilities are not always on point. Also if the sync is slightly off you will not have jog wheels to slightly adjust your mix. Also, if you get a good mixer and an x1 later down the road maybe you can add some cdjs to your set up. Just a thought. At the end of the dsay it's your money, you're the one using the gear so just do as much research on the both types of systems and see what you prefer. I'd also suggest heading out to your local music store to check out what they have on display so you can get a feel for it.
Gaynell Rydberg
If you're carrying everything it might just be more convenient to stick with the S4. Otherwise... external mixing.

The EQing is just so much better.
Alphonso Deitchman
A hardware mixer will have much better build quality than the S4 including usable VU meters and plenty of inputs. You can of course easily mix from external sources without the need for a laptop.

Most 4 channel mixers will have their own FX too which you can use in addition to Traktor's FX.
Len Lukawski
Have a look around the community . This very question ahas been posed many, many times and there is a huge amount of good information out there. If there is a specific mixer you want to compare to the S4 - that might trigger more of a response.

Good luck.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy