DDJ S1 or NI S4, final decision

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: DDJ S1 or NI S4, final decisionReply
DDJ S1 or NI S4, final decision
Posted on: 29.06.2013 by Yvonne Riewe
Hello,

I am still not 100% sure which one to choose, Pioneer DDJ S1 or Traktor S4.
I am more a producer than a DJ, but still I will be looking for gigs in near future (ok shouldnt maybe call them gigs coz most of them wont be real edm parties, but just a regular saturday club evening ).

The thing I really like in S1 compared to S4 is that it seems much bigger and much "wider", in S4 everything seems so narrow and therefore like a toy and looks less "professional".

On the other hand, I will definitely need the use of sync in first few weeks/months and I've read a few people complaining that S1 has much worse Synching and even a misplaced button so its easy to accidentally press it.

Can you give me any final ideas? Money is not really my problem, 50$ +- wont change anything.
Ulysses Vittetoe
Originally Posted by Arisen
Purchasable gear warranties?
That means I have to pay to get a warranty, how much roughly? (Sry I am not too experienced in shopping through internet)

Btw I am not sure I understand how much should these warranties last? For example, an authorized Pioneer dealer has listed that warranty is I believe 30 days, does that mean the warranty would be 30 days even if I bought it in Pioneer store?? Shouldnt it be like a year or more?
If the dealer is authorized then you get the full standard warranty for that piece of gear. A purchasable warranty is optional and usually covers stuff like accidental damage and the store will process the return instead of the company who made the product. You do not have to buy a purchasable warranty to get the standard warranty that comes with the gear. Hope that helps
Yvonne Riewe
Originally Posted by hellnegative
Contact the buyer before purchasin on Ebay. Most have actual storefronts and will let you know if they have purchasable gear warranties.
That means I have to pay to get a warranty, how much roughly? (Sry I am not too experienced in shopping through internet)

Btw I am not sure I understand how much should these warranties last? For example, an authorized Pioneer dealer has listed that warranty is I believe 30 days, does that mean the warranty would be 30 days even if I bought it in Pioneer store?? Shouldnt it be like a year or more?
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by dj_adm
(Which doesn't have bridge yet).
And will never have.
Bridge has been discontinued and is now in the grave with itch and live8

Originally Posted by sss18734
the jogwheels (arguably its best feature)
ehh.. pads?
Yvonne Riewe
As a Serato SL user, I say you need the Traktor S4 for this reason alone.

Remix decks are going to make your live production sets VERY easy. Plus if you want to integrate Ableton Live, it's easier than on SeratoDJ (Which doesn't have bridge yet).

The money you save (something like $400) could go towards better production gear...like a new synth or something

Well I dont really intent to make my live production, after all the genre I produce (hardstyle) is not too popular in my country so I would probably be playing more house-ish stuff on my gigs. 400$? I didnt go in full details about the price, but I definitely didnt notice such big difference??
I've looked on ebay and the difference is around 100-200$ that I've noticed?
Yvonne Riewe
Originally Posted by xs2man
THIS ^^^^^ All day long.

The ONLY all-in-one controller I would consider for DJ-ing
Hmm, it definitely looks better (in general), but what specifical things would make SX that much better than S1? Or to ask in a different way, why would you choose SX over S1? Coz its not so small difference in price, around 300$ I believe.
Albina Androski
I am more a producer than a DJ

Remix decks are going to make your live production sets VERY easy. Plus if you want to integrate Ableton Live, it's easier than on SeratoDJ (Which doesn't have bridge yet).

The money you save (something like $400) could go towards better production gear...like a new synth or something
Tamela Batara
skip both and get the ddjsx
THIS ^^^^^ All day long.

Yvonne Riewe
Hello,

I am still not 100% sure which one to choose, Pioneer DDJ S1 or Traktor S4.
I am more a producer than a DJ, but still I will be looking for gigs in near future (ok shouldnt maybe call them gigs coz most of them wont be real edm parties, but just a regular saturday club evening ).

The thing I really like in S1 compared to S4 is that it seems much bigger and much "wider", in S4 everything seems so narrow and therefore like a toy and looks less "professional".

On the other hand, I will definitely need the use of sync in first few weeks/months and I've read a few people complaining that S1 has much worse Synching and even a misplaced button so its easy to accidentally press it.

Can you give me any final ideas? Money is not really my problem, 50$ +- wont change anything.
Gaynell Rydberg
S4 too small?? That thing is huge!

But I do like the SX and S1 so much more whenever I get a chacne to play with them at GC. They feel so much better.
Ulysses Vittetoe

If the dealer is authorized then you get the full standard warranty for that piece of gear. A purchasable warranty is optional and usually covers stuff like accidental damage and the store will process the return instead of the company who made the product. You do not have to buy a purchasable warranty to get the standard warranty that comes with the gear. Hope that helps
Yvonne Riewe
Contact the buyer before purchasin on Ebay. Most have actual storefronts and will let you know if they have purchasable gear warranties.

Emelina Chillson
Yvonne Riewe
Thanks guys for your opinions.

I kinda feel S4 is too small for my desires, yet some complain SX is too big for them lol.

Well there shouldnt be too much difference in working between Serato and Traktor, unless Im going on a hip hop DJ world cup, right?

So if, as most of you say, S1 is an old shitty piece compared to SX, then I should just decide between higher priced SX with interesting pads and more work space, or lower priced S4 which is kinda small for me...

Btw, a bit offtopic, do you believe it is perfectly fine to buy these things on ebay as new products? I should get the same warrancy like I bought it anywhere else, or?
Ervin Calvery
Arisen - I would pick Traktor over Serato, and though I'm not a fan of the S4, it's at a great price right now.

You don't really need to make a final decision when you buy - Amazon, etc, have great return policies.
Dannie Dimora
(Which doesn't have bridge yet).
And will never have.
Bridge has been discontinued and is now in the grave with itch and live8

Originally Posted by sss18734
the jogwheels (arguably its best feature)
ehh.. pads?
Dannie Dimora
why in this world would you choose the s1? It's an outdated piece of plastic with jogwheels that have been designed by the finest producers of rough sandpaper in the whole universe.

Traktor will give you more producer-oriented features, live remixing and stuff.

You CAN use the ddjsx (far better choice than the s1) with traktor, but with major limitations due to no NHL (hid) support in traktor.
Erica Charvet
The DDJ-SX is a better controller... But it's only natively supported with Serato. If you're set on Traktor, the DDJ-SX is a waste since the jogwheels (arguably its best feature) will be a complete waste. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the touch-sensitive pads.

If deciding between the S1 and the S4... I really see no reason to go with the former. It's not natively supported, either. If you're worried about how it looks, get a flight case for your S4.
Emelina Chillson
With the sx you have the nice 8 pads below the jog wheel, you can use a product that is almost identical to industry standard, etc. etc. etc.
Yvonne Riewe

Well I dont really intent to make my live production, after all the genre I produce (hardstyle) is not too popular in my country so I would probably be playing more house-ish stuff on my gigs. 400$? I didnt go in full details about the price, but I definitely didnt notice such big difference??
I've looked on ebay and the difference is around 100-200$ that I've noticed?
Yvonne Riewe
Originally Posted by xs2man
THIS ^^^^^ All day long.

Hmm, it definitely looks better (in general), but what specifical things would make SX that much better than S1? Or to ask in a different way, why would you choose SX over S1? Coz its not so small difference in price, around 300$ I believe.
Albina Androski
I am more a producer than a DJ

Tamela Batara
THIS ^^^^^ All day long.

Emelina Chillson
Kellie Myrum
Traktor equals S4.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.