New Traktor Controller soon? Please?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: New Traktor Controller soon? Please?Reply
New Traktor Controller soon? Please?
Posted on: 21.03.2013 by Colby Chiappelli
OK, this may be a redundant question and Traktor seems better than even Apple at keeping secrets (of course Apple has a million or two more followers) but I'm an Itch DJ looking to make the dive into Traktor. I like what I've seen and used so far in Traktor and I am fighting the temptation to buy the Kontrol S4 because seeing that it's now about 2-1/2 years new on the market and Traktor decided not to put out a new controller with Pioneer, I am assuming that there must be something new in the works.

Soooo... that being said, I don't want to shell out close to $800.00 for the S4 and then, SURPRISE!, something newer and totally more "awesomer" comes out the next month.

Therefore... does anyone have an idea, clue or inside info as to if and when a new NI Traktor controller will be released and replace the S4 as their flagship baby?

Thanks!
Ashanti Andreacchio
Originally Posted by NewManSoon
Platters are only good for pitch bend / search / cue , not for scratch. Slip / flux mode works, but some of the other SX features do not, can't remember exactly what though.

The DDJ-SX works best with Serato DJ (obviously).
as for traktor and DDJ-SX everything works (scratch works ok to but not as on a TT) only believe labelled on the DDJ SX that is not working is Slicer, But those pads are mapped to FX instead Midifighter style mappings. and if you want you could mapp the slicer pads to Remix decks row 3-4 and sampler pads to row 1-2 this way you could have 16 slots on each side or map sampler to 1-2 row the Shift + sampler (sampler LED flashing
) to row 3-4 and have Slicer mapped in same way but to page 2 that way you could have 64 sample slots if you mapp all 4 decks and set them to remix decks you can trigger 128 slots. or you could mapp deck 3-4 for only sample triggers Hotcue (Shift+) row 1-2 (3-4) Roll page 2 slicer page 3 sampler page 4 you can trigger all samples in each remix deck.
Brady Whitker
Originally Posted by jeanmarclavoie
Me personally, I would like to see larger platters to start. Someone also rumored about CDJ style controllers too without the CD player part, maybe with embedded timecode or good midi integration.
Why would you want an embedded timecode, isn't MIDI signals faster and more accurate? I'm using the Scratch A10 setup right now and experience a slight slight delay when i try to do things, that I have adjusted to ofc but still. Just don't see the point in an embedded timecode when it is a controller without CD-function in the firstplace?

Anyone that have used the DDJ-SX with a Traktor-mapping? DJTT seems to have a few good ones, but is it working nicely? I love the software, not a big fan on S2 and S4 though...
Colby Chiappelli
Originally Posted by Jester
best $1K of the governments money i ever spent (nz dollars) .. mine have been abused, soaked in red wine, dropped. still going strong after nearly 3 years
It would be great for someone to release the mapping on here.
Rochel Gleese
Originally Posted by photojojo
I've wanted this for years!
N.I. could pull this off, i'm in the market for CDJs but will wait until Traktor 3 drops this year, i reckon they'll shake the game up with a Z4/Z5, Maschine integration and NI platter controllers
Johnetta Olewine
best $1K of the governments money i ever spent (nz dollars) .. mine have been abused, soaked in red wine, dropped. still going strong after nearly 3 years
This. Ive been through a bunch of different controllers and have offloaded everything except the original X1 i bought 3 years ago. It's been around the world, dropped, spilled on and never missed a beat.

Be interesting to see what NI would do with the mk2 version.
Leota Dolney
If you could set and trigger cue points and display waveforms on a "cdj" controller I would totally get at least one.
Leeanna Ayla
Me personally, I would like to see larger platters to start. Someone also rumored about CDJ style controllers too without the CD player part, maybe with embedded timecode or good midi integration.
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by makar1
IMO the X1 is their best made controller and still has no direct competition/clones, whereas the S2+S4 are in need of a refresh if they want to stay competitive.

I'd take an SX over an S4 any day..
Ashanti Andreacchio
Originally Posted by NewManSoon
Platters are only good for pitch bend / search / cue , not for scratch. Slip / flux mode works, but some of the other SX features do not, can't remember exactly what though.

as for traktor and DDJ-SX everything works (scratch works ok to but not as on a TT) only believe labelled on the DDJ SX that is not working is Slicer, But those pads are mapped to FX instead Midifighter style mappings. and if you want you could mapp the slicer pads to Remix decks row 3-4 and sampler pads to row 1-2 this way you could have 16 slots on each side or map sampler to 1-2 row the Shift + sampler (sampler LED flashing
) to row 3-4 and have Slicer mapped in same way but to page 2 that way you could have 64 sample slots if you mapp all 4 decks and set them to remix decks you can trigger 128 slots. or you could mapp deck 3-4 for only sample triggers Hotcue (Shift+) row 1-2 (3-4) Roll page 2 slicer page 3 sampler page 4 you can trigger all samples in each remix deck.
Harvey Mcintyre
I am using my SX with JaJa's Artwork mapping which i believe really covers most of the knobs used.
Gaynell Rydberg
Holy necropost.
Rocco Fiveash

Brady Whitker
Why would you want an embedded timecode, isn't MIDI signals faster and more accurate? I'm using the Scratch A10 setup right now and experience a slight slight delay when i try to do things, that I have adjusted to ofc but still. Just don't see the point in an embedded timecode when it is a controller without CD-function in the firstplace?

Anyone that have used the DDJ-SX with a Traktor-mapping? DJTT seems to have a few good ones, but is it working nicely? I love the software, not a big fan on S2 and S4 though...
Colby Chiappelli
It would be great for someone to release the mapping on here.
Kristofer Krauel
Now that NI are in the mixer game I believe a single deck platter controller would be the next logical step. That way they can cater for pretty much every DJ's needs whilst still keeping the close link with Traktor. I'm surprised they haven't already released a Behringer PL-1 type controller.
Rochel Gleese
N.I. could pull this off, i'm in the market for CDJs but will wait until Traktor 3 drops this year, i reckon they'll shake the game up with a Z4/Z5, Maschine integration and NI platter controllers
Johnetta Olewine
This. Ive been through a bunch of different controllers and have offloaded everything except the original X1 i bought 3 years ago. It's been around the world, dropped, spilled on and never missed a beat.

Be interesting to see what NI would do with the mk2 version.
Leota Dolney
If you could set and trigger cue points and display waveforms on a "cdj" controller I would totally get at least one.
Leeanna Ayla
Latoria Kavulich
IMO the X1 is their best made controller and still has no direct competition/clones, whereas the S2+S4 are in need of a refresh if they want to stay competitive.

Valeri Millstein
I'm sticking with a future 4+1 channel mixer in the future. 4 Traktor Decks with an added Maschine deck.
Colby Chiappelli
The S2 was brought out quite a while after the S4 which is why it has this much-requested change.
Got it, thanks for clearing that up.
Alphonso Deitchman
The S2 was brought out quite a while after the S4 which is why it has this much-requested change.
Colby Chiappelli
The S2 has separate monitor out with gain. EQs on the monitor are extremely rare and unnecessary IMO.
Yup so you would believe their flagship controller would have that too. I like the EQ idea but you're right, its not a necessity.
Alphonso Deitchman
The S2 has separate monitor out with gain. EQs on the monitor are extremely rare and unnecessary IMO.
Colby Chiappelli
Originally Posted by DysfunkDJ
you need to decide which software your going to use. If its traktor then imo and s2 or s4 with a f1 or two will last for years with no need to update (only the software). If you look at traktor pro now do you really believe its gonna change that much in the next few years apart from better integration. In the 2 - 2 and half years its only changed in so much as more slots to fire sample and loops and colours. I believe native will bring out more hardware as they are now on the treadmill. Maybe i pad intregration but I seriously believe the s4 is super safe for a while.
I don't know, I believe from a market sales point of view, they may want to refresh the S4 and S2 while adding something more to it, or else they will begin to lose sales to newer gear from other manufacturers... other options I would like to see is a separate monitor out with gain and eq for the monitor similar to the Denon MC6000.
Colby Chiappelli
Oretha Afful
All I want is a X1 setup like this w/o soundcard built in

http://www.zomo.de/en/Products/MIDI-...r-MC-1000.html
Britt Roback
you need to decide which software your going to use. If its traktor then imo and s2 or s4 with a f1 or two will last for years with no need to update (only the software). If you look at traktor pro now do you really believe its gonna change that much in the next few years apart from better integration. In the 2 - 2 and half years its only changed in so much as more slots to fire sample and loops and colours. I believe native will bring out more hardware as they are now on the treadmill. Maybe i pad intregration but I seriously believe the s4 is super safe for a while.
Alphonso Deitchman
My guess is maybe an update to the mighty X1

Michell Wehrmeyer
Or really tight maschine integration like so many people have pleaded for.
Latoria Kavulich
Colby Chiappelli
Originally Posted by hellnegative
DDJ-SX plus custom map if your savvy and patient. I like the S4, but am not a fan of it as a sole unit.
I'm not 100% convinced by the SX, have you mapped it to Traktor, how do you like it?
Emelina Chillson
DDJ-SX plus custom map if your savvy and patient. I like the S4, but am not a fan of it as a sole unit.
Colby Chiappelli
Any suggestions?

I had heard that their stuff was pretty good, the built-in sound card on the S4 has nice specs too (correct me if I'm wrong) but mostly I've heard over and over that it has the tightest integration with Traktor and best option for the full functionality of their software.

I had long considered the VCI-400 but over and over again I read that the S4 just functions better with Traktor. I had also been waiting for a new Pioneer DDJ for Traktor but that didn't come out. My idea is to make a step up from the my VCI-300 and bring more to my sets while making the move to a 4 channel controller.
Alphonso Deitchman
Why not buy something made by a company other than NI? Their hardware quality is hardly the best out there.
Colby Chiappelli
Hm, my skills are not the question here, I DJ'ed on 1200's and the first CDJ's to give you some insight into my experience. But, I understand your comment on gear not always being the same, etc. But a controller is an investment, and an $800+ investment at that so if there is any info on a new one coming out made by NI then I would like to wait it out and get that rather than spend the 8 bills now.

And, being that NI does not release controllers every 6 months and that their controllers are tightly integrated with their software then that money would be best spent on the newest piece of gear that they put out. But, I also don't want to wait forever to make this move.

I'm looking for constructive criticism and insight here.
Toya Spor
If anything, they would release an S4 with pads like the Maschine, but it's pure speculation.

It's all about making great music. If you buy an S4 then some new and shinier piece of gear comes along, it doesn't matter. It's not going to have some feature that will instantly make your skills better.

Focus on your skills, getting an S4 is probably a better idea given that it will be easier on your wallet. Even an S2 would be great.
Colby Chiappelli
156 views and no replies

Am I the only person interested in a new NI Traktor controller?

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy