X/y pad on Korg NanoPad into 2 potentiometers?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: X/y pad on Korg NanoPad into 2 potentiometers?Reply
X/y pad on Korg NanoPad into 2 potentiometers?
Posted on: 24.05.2013 by Stella Mcgarr
Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone has ever modded their nano pad by adding some pots to it. I primarily use Serato which makes the x/y pad pretty much useless. I opened up my nano pad today and examined the x/y pad and came up with a few questions to ask you guys before I purchase zif cables and start soldering.

Is an x/y pad equivalent to a joystick where it is ran by two potentiometers?

looking at the x/y pad, the front has two strips. One vertical and one horizontal. The back of the pad has two vertical lines ... which may be power and ground?

You guys believe it's possible to connect the front vertical and horizontal line/leads to the middle pin of a Pot, (pardon my ignorance of electronics jargon ) and the back vertical lines/leads to power and ground of the pot?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Janyce Henningson
Originally Posted by Scornil01
1 last thing. Do you have an idea on what type of pot to use. I know 10k pots are usually used for most projects here but i have a few 100k pots laying around. You believe 100k can suffice? Using Serato.
It will make a difference mate, if you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance of the xy pad first anyway.

The pot is just a resistor that varies the voltage to the main board - the current voltage value is changed to a midi value using code on the chip.

So using a 100k instead of 10k will give some weird midi values - so multimeter is the best way.
Janyce Henningson

looking at the x/y pad, the front has two strips. One vertical and one horizontal. The back of the pad has two vertical lines ... which may be power and ground?

You guys believe it's possible to connect the front vertical and horizontal line/leads to the middle pin of a Pot, (pardon my ignorance of electronics jargon ) and the back vertical lines/leads to power and ground of the pot?
Yup I should imagine that's correct.
The horizontal is probably the 'X' and the vertical the 'Y'.
Stella Mcgarr
Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone has ever modded their nano pad by adding some pots to it. I primarily use Serato which makes the x/y pad pretty much useless. I opened up my nano pad today and examined the x/y pad and came up with a few questions to ask you guys before I purchase zif cables and start soldering.

Is an x/y pad equivalent to a joystick where it is ran by two potentiometers?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Alix Franzman
Any progress on this? Sounds like a great idea

Did you find out the resistance? Maybe this guy might know? He has done a really heavy mod to his.

http://andymurkin.wordpress.com/2011...tylonanophone/

Could I ask what zif cable you used? I am going to try changing the built in pads for external ones. If I use some force sensitive pads it might work?

Anyway, please let us know how your mod is going, would love to hear!
Janyce Henningson
1 last thing. Do you have an idea on what type of pot to use. I know 10k pots are usually used for most projects here but i have a few 100k pots laying around. You believe 100k can suffice? Using Serato.
It will make a difference mate, if you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance of the xy pad first anyway.

The pot is just a resistor that varies the voltage to the main board - the current voltage value is changed to a midi value using code on the chip.

So using a 100k instead of 10k will give some weird midi values - so multimeter is the best way.
Emelina Chillson
Ive done it with my old nanopads. Its just a pain. Gotta start in the corner when you learn the mappings.
Stella Mcgarr
Stella Mcgarr
You always pull thru NickyH! Haha thanks man. I'll give it a shot once I recieve the zif cable from digikey and let you know how it goes.
Janyce Henningson

Yup I should imagine that's correct.
The horizontal is probably the 'X' and the vertical the 'Y'.
Stella Mcgarr
Any ideas guys?

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy