Would you still buy the Xone K2 with the upcoming Kontrol X1 mk2?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Would you still buy the Xone K2 with the upcoming Kontrol X1 mk2?Reply
Would you still buy the Xone K2 with the upcoming Kontrol X1 mk2?
Posted on: 21.07.2013 by Rhonda Auriemma
Hey, I want to add a smaller controller to my VCI-400 as I'm running out of mapping space (especially knobs). Right now, I'm balancing the A&H Xone K2 and the Kontrol X1 mk2 with advantage for the K2.
First, it's cheaper than the X1, but especially the internal audio interface is what turns me on, since my Audio 2 doesn't support USB 3.0 and therefore I always have to carry the VCI-400 to my gigs. I could imagine throwing some garden parties with not more than a small controller (like X1, K2, F1) or be more mobile in general, but until now the sound card was the biggest issue. So, altogether with quite a bunch of possible mapping options, the K2 is ahead.

What makes me doubt a little bit is the better build quality of the new X1 and the new features (touch sensitive endless encoders + touch strips), which offer several possibilities since I really dig touch strips.
After all, the K2 is still ahead with the big advantage of the sound card, but I'm not 100% sure. Would you also prefer the K2 or even buy something completely different (like old X1 + 2nd hand external soundcard)?
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
Thanks for the feedback.

For turntables and a mixer with built in sound card, would the K2 be more than I need? I certainly don't mind having extra functionality, but the X1 seems pretty streamlined right out of the box.
The X1 was designed to give access to Traktor features that DVS alone does not. It's pretty on-point - I preordered one.
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by smiTTTen
I owned the K2 for a while and i really liked it. I recently got rid of it but that was simply because I wanted to 2 F1s. It's an excellent unit and massively flexible. The build is rock solid.

For what you're suggesting, I'd go with the K2 over the x1.
Thanks for the feedback.

For turntables and a mixer with built in sound card, would the K2 be more than I need? I certainly don't mind having extra functionality, but the X1 seems pretty streamlined right out of the box.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
I really doubt NI has better build quality than Allen and Heath...
+1
Rhonda Auriemma
Hey, I want to add a smaller controller to my VCI-400 as I'm running out of mapping space (especially knobs). Right now, I'm balancing the A&H Xone K2 and the Kontrol X1 mk2 with advantage for the K2.
First, it's cheaper than the X1, but especially the internal audio interface is what turns me on, since my Audio 2 doesn't support USB 3.0 and therefore I always have to carry the VCI-400 to my gigs. I could imagine throwing some garden parties with not more than a small controller (like X1, K2, F1) or be more mobile in general, but until now the sound card was the biggest issue. So, altogether with quite a bunch of possible mapping options, the K2 is ahead.

What makes me doubt a little bit is the better build quality of the new X1 and the new features (touch sensitive endless encoders + touch strips), which offer several possibilities since I really dig touch strips.
After all, the K2 is still ahead with the big advantage of the sound card, but I'm not 100% sure. Would you also prefer the K2 or even buy something completely different (like old X1 + 2nd hand external soundcard)?
Latoria Kavulich
Get the K2 if you don't have a soundcard. Otherwise, X1
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
Thanks for the feedback.

The X1 was designed to give access to Traktor features that DVS alone does not. It's pretty on-point - I preordered one.
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by smiTTTen
I owned the K2 for a while and i really liked it. I recently got rid of it but that was simply because I wanted to 2 F1s. It's an excellent unit and massively flexible. The build is rock solid.

Thanks for the feedback.

Len Lukawski
I owned the K2 for a while and i really liked it. I recently got rid of it but that was simply because I wanted to 2 F1s. It's an excellent unit and massively flexible. The build is rock solid. The only things I was not so keen on was:

1. The fader caps. The K2 has studio style caps versus "DJ" style caps (if that's even really a thing).
2. The case - it's well made but it's big and took up a lot of space in my bag.
3. No available Decksaver - I like Decksavers.
4. I ran into some issues changing the latency using the A+H control panel. I'm pretty sure it was a Windows thing, once I switched to my Mac is was running at sub 5ms.

Delena Katherman
I'm in the same situation. Used an S4 for a year, but I've recently switched to time code vinyl and a mixer. I'm selling the S4 because I just need something small like the new X1 for transport/effects. But, the K2 is the other option I'm considering.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
+1
Alphonso Deitchman
My Audio 2 works just fine through USB 3.0 ports on both Windows and Mac OS.
Gaynell Rydberg

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy