Leap Motion... badass

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Leap Motion... badassReply
Leap Motion... badass
Posted on: 30.07.2013 by Cammy Clegg
I just got leap motion which is like the kinect but more accurate. Anyways I set it up to work with ableton for internal mixing and now mapped my mf3d to 4 instances of turnado. For instant effects. Anyways super rad design and pretty cheap considering it is really good at motion tracking.

I talked to ColdFuzion about it. And sent him some videos late last evening . Ill try and take some better ones right now.
Wilton Keuning
Originally Posted by nem0nic
Hey Prof, I've been guessing that the reason there is so much emphasis on finger reading is because the API probably has a disproportionate amount of support specifically dedicated to reading fingers, but much less in the way of general object interpretation. Is this actually true, or is it just what developers have chosen to focus on?
Great question! The LEAP is 100% centered around hands, not objects at all.
Wilton Keuning
Originally Posted by chrisw
What program did you write? or did you help design the Software?
I was in a very early stage, I did a small amount with the way it controls midi, my part was ALOT of testing... haha
Wilton Keuning
So your gonna hook it up with a beta test right?
The beta is over my friend. All the hard work me and the other devs did are now available for y'all.
Cammy Clegg
Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman
Jesus you believe it's fiddly now?!

Cammy Clegg
I just got leap motion which is like the kinect but more accurate. Anyways I set it up to work with ableton for internal mixing and now mapped my mf3d to 4 instances of turnado. For instant effects. Anyways super rad design and pretty cheap considering it is really good at motion tracking.

I talked to ColdFuzion about it. And sent him some videos late last evening . Ill try and take some better ones right now.
Wilton Keuning
Originally Posted by nem0nic
Hey Prof, I've been guessing that the reason there is so much emphasis on finger reading is because the API probably has a disproportionate amount of support specifically dedicated to reading fingers, but much less in the way of general object interpretation. Is this actually true, or is it just what developers have chosen to focus on?
Great question! The LEAP is 100% centered around hands, not objects at all.
Emilee Koufos
I've just spent the last few hours geeking out while setting up my Leap Controller with Geco and Traktor. There are lots of possibilities, but it's going to take some work to figure out a useful mapping. For the most part I'm impressed with the performance, especially considering how new the technology is. It is definitely a little jumpy at times. Hopefully with more usage I'll get used to the sweet spot. Even if I didn't believe it was going to improve at all it would definitely be worth the price just for the "wow" factor. I imagine I'll see a lot of wide eyes the first time I play in front of people with it set up!

Thanks to Prof for any work you did to get it to where it is! I'm definitely interested in hearing what other folks are working out with it.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Wilton Keuning
I was in a very early stage, I did a small amount with the way it controls midi, my part was ALOT of testing... haha
Cammy Clegg
Wilton Keuning
The beta is over my friend. All the hard work me and the other devs did are now available for y'all.
Cammy Clegg
Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman

Wilton Keuning

Cammy Clegg
Oh btw a long while back Harry potter the video game made you make gestures with the mouse cursor to cast spells. If that type of code could be adapted to this then the program idea you have is really reasonably within reach.
Cammy Clegg
well I can agree with that in the sense that when using it your expected to have your hands quite high up. Like you would be standing performing. If your hands arnt atleast 10 inches away it. Like if you havent already go to the geco website and watch the tutorial videos. Those really explain how to make it work the best.
Diogo Dj Dragão
I'm finding it pretty fiddly. It would be good for someone to develop an app that could learn gestures and then assign MIDI values to them. Imagine Geco but with learnable gestures as well. I find that a lot of the current gestures are based on fine details (like how many fingers are showing), when broad gestures (like waving your hand from left to right "Minority Report" style) are totally ignored.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy