Homemade MIDI Guitar controller

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Homemade MIDI Guitar controllerReply
Homemade MIDI Guitar controller
Posted on: 07.08.2013 by Isela Moton
Hi guys,

I know guitars, even MIDI guitars, are not really the main focus of interest here, but I thought I'd post a YouTube video about a new controller I made. It's not far off being a regular homemade MIDI controller except that it's sort of.. guitar shaped.

I wanted to post here because the information on this site about making your own controllers was what got me started on the project, and I'd like to say a huge thank you to the DJTT for the inspiration and information.

Anyways, let me know what you believe

Charline Dye
The one thing I would change (and you did mention it) is the arcade button placement. Instead of matching them to the "strings", I would match them to my hand/fingers when it is in a comfortable position. Also put them in a slight arch like Moldover's Mojo. image.jpg
Isela Moton
Originally Posted by VanGogo
Nice work Kaitain! Thanks for sharing. I really like the way you used the touch strips as a guitar fret (& fretless) board for notes, not just modulating Fx. Which really makes it an instrument, and not just an Ableton clip launcher.
Thanks! What I was aiming for is to have something that was properly expressive, which the strips do a good job on. There is still a good many things I can do to improve that with the instrument as a whole, pressure sensitive "pluck" buttons for a start, and the MIDI footpedal i mention near the end of the video would really increase the expressiveness too. The nice thing about it being guitar shaped is that guitars are a really great performing instrument: you're stood up and the instrument is facing the audience, and also, people sort of understand how guitars work. I believe it's nice to watch people play music when you know more or less how the sound is being generated/manipulated. Sometimes buttons and knobs style controllers can be a tad... arcane (from the audience's point of view). :-D
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
cool project, I drew some concepts a while ago you should try to make them a reality

midi slasher copy.jpgmidi slasher JOG copy.jpgmidislasher 80's edition - synthet1c new.jpg
Isela Moton
Hi guys,

I know guitars, even MIDI guitars, are not really the main focus of interest here, but I thought I'd post a YouTube video about a new controller I made. It's not far off being a regular homemade MIDI controller except that it's sort of.. guitar shaped.

I wanted to post here because the information on this site about making your own controllers was what got me started on the project, and I'd like to say a huge thank you to the DJTT for the inspiration and information.

Anyways, let me know what you believe

Isela Moton
I totally agree :-) I'll definitely do that for v2
Charline Dye
The one thing I would change (and you did mention it) is the arcade button placement. Instead of matching them to the "strings", I would match them to my hand/fingers when it is in a comfortable position. Also put them in a slight arch like Moldover's Mojo. image.jpg
Isela Moton
Originally Posted by VanGogo
Nice work Kaitain! Thanks for sharing. I really like the way you used the touch strips as a guitar fret (& fretless) board for notes, not just modulating Fx. Which really makes it an instrument, and not just an Ableton clip launcher.
Thanks! What I was aiming for is to have something that was properly expressive, which the strips do a good job on. There is still a good many things I can do to improve that with the instrument as a whole, pressure sensitive "pluck" buttons for a start, and the MIDI footpedal i mention near the end of the video would really increase the expressiveness too. The nice thing about it being guitar shaped is that guitars are a really great performing instrument: you're stood up and the instrument is facing the audience, and also, people sort of understand how guitars work. I believe it's nice to watch people play music when you know more or less how the sound is being generated/manipulated. Sometimes buttons and knobs style controllers can be a tad... arcane (from the audience's point of view). :-D
Charline Dye
Brunilda Kora
synthet1c!

Mad props on those designs!!!!
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
cool project, I drew some concepts a while ago you should try to make them a reality

midi slasher copy.jpgmidi slasher JOG copy.jpgmidislasher 80's edition - synthet1c new.jpg

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy