Finally converting to digital! What gear and mixer do I buy?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Finally converting to digital! What gear and mixer do I buy?Reply
Finally converting to digital! What gear and mixer do I buy?
Posted on: 14.08.2013 by Bernard Pulizzi
Hello everyone, today is the day that I decide to make the transition from my CDJ 350s and DJM 400 to a new digital setup!

I would like two Kontrol X1s to use for all four decks, with a 4 channel mixer and obviously Traktor!

Thing is, I don't have a macbook - I'm looking at buying a Macbook air just for Traktor and DJing so that I don't have to use my ASUS laptop (high specs) so that I can save that for coursework, general use and producing using Ableton - this is unfortunately taking up a large amount of my budget

My main question is: What mixer do I buy? I would like one with a built-in soundcard so I don't need an external

AND, I'm a little sleep so this may seem like a dumb question, but surely the mixer doesn't have to be anything special since the DJing is software based, and effects, loops etc are all controlled on the X1?

Thing is, I only have the price of my current setup (which I'd sell) of
Logan Lassey
Originally Posted by kbridge
I'm not quite sure I know the difference
If you mix internally (i.e. use the software mixer in Traktor) then all you need is a midi mixer and a two (stereo) channel sound card.
e.g. the Behringer MM-1 mixer (
Doreen Schurle
ESI Gigaport or Zomo-MC1000 and any 4 channel mixer will do nicely; even just a crappy Behringer DJX-### for
Alphonso Deitchman
I might stick to one X1 and just get a two channel mixer while funds are limited however. Any recommendations for a two channel external mixer? I already have the DJM 400 but I believe I could actually downgrade this..

Also, another big question, in what circumstances would one need a soundcard? can someone please explain their uses?
I'd say stick with your DJM 400 which is much closer to a club mixer than anything MIDI, then get one X1 and a Traktor Audio 2 for external mixing. You of course need a sound card if you're going to use Traktor in any way.
Logan Lassey
If you mix internally (i.e. use the software mixer in Traktor) then all you need is a midi mixer and a two (stereo) channel sound card.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by zimfella
http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=72857

I'm after some cdj 350s and have pretty much everything your looking for up for trade or sale. Let me know if your interested.
That mixer looks badass. One of those and a MC-1000 is pretty much everything a Traktor user would need.
Doreen Schurle
ESI Gigaport or Zomo-MC1000 and any 4 channel mixer will do nicely; even just a crappy Behringer DJX-### for
Bernard Pulizzi
Originally Posted by makar1
If you have the drivers installed yes. The DJM ones are available on the Pioneer website.
so as long as I have the latest drivers for the latest DJMs installed on my laptop, I can play on other mixerd with built in soundcards?
Latoria Kavulich
here is my old setup as an example of an external setup mate

Logan Lassey
I also say stick with your current mixer until you are sure if you want to move up to a 4 channel mixer or not.
So all you need to buy right now is an X1 and a 2 channel sound card (probably an NI Audio 2).
Alphonso Deitchman
I might stick to one X1 and just get a two channel mixer while funds are limited however. Any recommendations for a two channel external mixer? I already have the DJM 400 but I believe I could actually downgrade this..

Also, another big question, in what circumstances would one need a soundcard? can someone please explain their uses?
I'd say stick with your DJM 400 which is much closer to a club mixer than anything MIDI, then get one X1 and a Traktor Audio 2 for external mixing. You of course need a sound card if you're going to use Traktor in any way.
Logan Lassey
Decisions decisions!
Doreen Schurle
There are two ways to approach this tbh.

Option 1 is to duplicate the club setup at home; this almost never works completely, because every venue you play in will be different. Some venues might have an Xone:42, some might have a DJM-600, some might have a DJM-800, some might have a FSM mixer, etc. The amount of DJs I've played with who say things like, "oh I don't have this mixer at home, that's why I'm not playing as well as I usually do" is shocking.

Option 2, which is the one I use, is to have a setup which you can use at home AND in the clubs. I use a pair of Contours, and used to use a 4 channel mixer (RMX-40) which I took with me to most gigs. You can get away with using a couple of modular controllers (Contours, K2s, X1s, etc) in addition to ANY mixer, but there's no guarantee you'll be familiar with the feel or the way that particular mixer works straight away. Now I use a Z1 as a MIDI mixer which means whatever I find at a venue is fine, as I just plug into one channel and don't touch it for the rest of the evening .

Whatever you do, however, you'll need an audio interface if you're mixing externally. This is to provide two (or more) stereo outputs which run into the house mixer. The audio interface might be separate, like an Audio 2/4/6/8/10 or ESI Maya/Gigaport, or integrated into one of your controllers, like the Reloop Contour or Zomo MC-1000. X1s do not have an audio interface so you'll need to buy one.

If you're happy with internal mixing, get yourself a Z1 along with an X1 (or two), although that will limit you to 2 decks unless you remap it. There are a few other (4-channel) alternatives out there, like the MM-1 and the X-Session Pro, but they're not really on the same level in terms of quality.
Bernard Pulizzi
OR

would it make sense to have an internal mixer, X1 and soundcard setup for home? That would be much cheaper and be just as easy to convert to club setups seeing as the only aspects of the mixer I would be using would be the EQ and volume faders (which are obviously fairly standard accross all gear).

This way I just have to bring the soundcard, X1 and laptop to clubs (leaving the mixer behind), then simply plug the X1, sound card and laptop into their mixer (should the soundcard be required at all anyway), correct?

*finally seeing the bigger picture*
Bernard Pulizzi
Okay, I now fully understand the difference between internal and external mixing, thanks guys!

Having said this, I now believe I know the direction I would rather take: I would much rather mix externally, I love the aesthetics of a large, solid, dedicated mixer, along with the club-standard layout and feel, you know?

My aim is to be able to rock up to a club with just one or two X1s, my laptop with Traktor and just plug it into the club's mixer and be good to go - I would like to replicate this setup at home, I might stick to one X1 and just get a two channel mixer while funds are limited however. Any recommendations for a two channel external mixer? I already have the DJM 400 but I believe I could actually downgrade this..

Thoughts?

I apologise for the amount of questions!

Thanks!
Logan Lassey
Sherri Berdecia
Im looking at doing this same type of setup. However I already own an A8. I have two F1's and currently one X1 but want to pick up another. Being that I plan on controlling everything with my controllers I am looking to get a decent external mixer. Initially I was believeing of picking up pioneer dim-900 but I am believeing that may be a waste of money since I am not planning on using timecode at all. For just a simple home setup for practice and fun I am believeing that any real expensive mixer is kind of silly. IDK. I do know that i am going to sell of my S4. Im trying to get more comfortable playing on a smaller compact setup because its easier for club usage. Its damn near impossible to set up an S4 in a club booth without someone freaking out. So for home usage to get more comfortable with a modular setup, what are your opinions?
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by zimfella

I'm after some cdj 350s and have pretty much everything your looking for up for trade or sale. Let me know if your interested.
That mixer looks badass. One of those and a MC-1000 is pretty much everything a Traktor user would need.
Hanna Ridenbaugh

Doreen Schurle
Bernard Pulizzi
Originally Posted by makar1
If you have the drivers installed yes. The DJM ones are available on the Pioneer website.
so as long as I have the latest drivers for the latest DJMs installed on my laptop, I can play on other mixerd with built in soundcards?
Alphonso Deitchman
Bernard Pulizzi
so suggesting I get a djm and a soundcard, and I use said soundcard and DJM as my home setup, would I be fine to just plug my Traktor enabled laptop into a club setup which was using a mixer with built-in, this would be fine, yes?
Olin Easley
NI Audio 10 is a quite popular sound card if you want 4 decks. I can't really help you with a mixer, I don't have any experience buying mixers.
Alphonso Deitchman
DJM 750 or DN-X1600 are on the cheaper side if you want an integrated interface and both have a fairly standard layout.
Bernard Pulizzi
Originally Posted by DISaS73R
Internal implies that you'll use controller/mouse/keyboard/whatever has control over the program. If you'd like to gig with your gear, I'd recommend you to get a sound card and a cheaper mixer just in case the clubs don't have mixers with sound cards.
any examples of a 4 channel mixer and sound card?
Olin Easley
Internal implies that you'll use controller/mouse/keyboard/whatever has control over the program. If you'd like to gig with your gear, I'd recommend you to get a sound card and a cheaper mixer just in case the clubs don't have mixers with sound cards.
Bernard Pulizzi
External then, as close to a club layout as possible, using the mixer for mixing (obviously), then an X1 as transport control, to work the decks

does internal imply that you would use a midi controller opposed to a mixer or alter EQs etc through the software using a mouse/trackpad?
Dedra Kreinbring
External mixing is using Traktor as the sound source and for effects, but just routing each tracks to channels on an external mixer, where EQs and levels etc are controlled there.

Internal is using Traktors EQs and faders
Bernard Pulizzi
Originally Posted by Paco Loco
I believe first you need to decide whether you believe external mixing is important or whether you are happy to mix internally....?

Logan Lassey
I believe first you need to decide whether you believe external mixing is important or whether you are happy to mix internally....?

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy