Dads: When and how did you start teaching your kids to mix and/or scratch?

Home :: Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics. :: Dads: When and how did you start teaching your kids to mix and/or scratch?Reply
Dads: When and how did you start teaching your kids to mix and/or scratch?
Posted on: 29.12.2012 by Len Lukawski
I have a four year and i believeing he;s getting close but I am still fearful of breaking shit.
Halley Wurzer
Originally Posted by DJ
Heck, Im taking my daughter to NAMM this year with me.
Hope to see you guys
Evita Mockel
Originally Posted by smittten
so what I am hearing is that I am the only one stupid enough to let a four year near a set of 1200s!
I'm also that dumb and it goes about as well it did for you.
Kandi Odom
The lad is music obsessed. We got him an ipod shuffle for Christmas and he jams around with Stevie Wonder mostly. He's also partial to some jazzier drum and bass and is a fan of good solid house music too. He'll end up doing something musical whether its Djing, singing or playing an instrument as he's also obsessed with drums (but we arent having those in the house quite yet!).

This was from April 2011.

This made my day!!!!!! Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Just bought a cheap fleabay Mixtrack for my son to mess about on. He's turning 10 next month. Once i trust him not to wreck any gear he will be getting some lessons on the turntables.
Charissa Paganucci
my 5.5 year old stepson has been around my DJ gear most of his life.

he's all about "scratching" but really has no other interest but hearing PSY....

BUT he has taken quite a liking to hiphop dance, to the point we're he's taking hiphop\breakdance lessons.

always busts out his latest moves whenever I'm playing
Halley Wurzer
Originally Posted by DJ
Hope to see you guys
Cristian Carmona
my kids have been around my dj gear since they were born. My wife caught the two young ones messing around with the turntable. the baby was sitting on the platter while the old sister pressed the play button watching him spin. Broken stylus, no harm to the 1200's. Now that they are old, my daughter has a Numark iDj pro hook up to her ipod. Shes now going to turn 7 and know her way around just about any midi controller, mixer and CDJ. I believe they learn alot djing, eye and hand coordination and absorb knowledge about music and gear.

Grady Weinkauf
My daughter, 3, is very interested in my turntables and my Maschine. She likes to hear the scratching and drumming on the Maschine. When she wants me to play music in my studio she says 'Lets go dance' that means turn music on and rage! lol

Ive been introducing her little by little, she likes to just mess around which I love.
Claire Auyeung
I will be a dad in a few months, can't wait to do all the things you guys been doing with your kids.
A pleasure to read
Evita Mockel
so what I am hearing is that I am the only one stupid enough to let a four year near a set of 1200s!
I'm also that dumb and it goes about as well it did for you.
Bridget Liner
My son is almost 9 and I'll let him play around with my S4 often. The only problem I have is trying to convince him to try mixing anything besides LMFAO and Gangman Style over and over. He's played with my 1200's in the past but really only care about scratching and I don't even have them hooked up anymore.
Valeri Millstein
"Watch the needle..."
Geri Jarra
You're brave smittten! I love how interested he is in the TTs, but the whole time I watched the vid I was also whispering to myself "watch the needles!" I dont have a kid, but It reminds me of when my friends want to "scratch" my records. Normally I dont mind as long as they dont hit the damn needle! I actually believe your son is a better listener than my drunk friends
Janell Selser
The flip side of that is that we're just selfish pricks who don't want to share with our kids?
Len Lukawski
Janell Selser
I make sure my son wears one of those safety vests when he plays in traffic. My 17 year old daughter has a turntable, collects vinyl, enjoys sharing new music with people, spends hours making playlists for friends and events taking care to make sure there are nice tempo transitions and the music flows well together but swears she has no interest in being a Dj. My 8 year old son shows interest but I'm afraid to let him near the TT's so I keep him and my nephews entertained by loading up the Maschine with fart samples.
Rena Estabrook
I didn't know how to explain a lot of things well. So, I had my kid watch online DJ Shortee instructional videos.
Karolis Petrauskas
I've let my 2 boys use my decks with supervision since before they could walk. They are now 3 and 5 and know the basics of what the mixer and decks do. They know volume, crossfading, what the pitch does, how to start and stop the decks and can do little baby scratches. I don't force it on them but whenever they want to get on I supervise and teach as they touch.
Kandi Odom
The lad is music obsessed. We got him an ipod shuffle for Christmas and he jams around with Stevie Wonder mostly. He's also partial to some jazzier drum and bass and is a fan of good solid house music too. He'll end up doing something musical whether its Djing, singing or playing an instrument as he's also obsessed with drums (but we arent having those in the house quite yet!).

This made my day!!!!!! Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leeanna Ayla
Nice to see he's wearing the proper safety clothing. My 17 year old son has no interest whatsoever in mixing, but he digs like a fiend. My 14 year old daughter has a little and she plays around some. She's not as interested in finding music like my son, but is 100% fully committed to percussion in school. Because of this she plays around with some production apps on the iPad, but nothing to serious. When it comes to getting my kids involved in my hobbies I've never pushed them, but always made sure I was available to help them if they were interested.
Shan Bauerly
Mine's four, and I let him loose on the MC6000 whenever he wants. No so much on the turntables.
Len Lukawski

You mean like this?
Janyce Henningson
Cool kid smittten

My 15 year old isn't interested even though I've told him I can make him a millionaire who dates* models
My 3 year old kinda destroys everything he touches so it will be a while yet..

* Forum etiquette
Len Lukawski

Rena Estabrook
I'm assuming your kids are exposed to your jam sessions. Whenever they express an interest...

I got back into the hobby when my kid was 15 and he expressed an interest at about 17. He's all right at mixing and scratching.
Kristofer Krauel
If he isnt a future dj he's DEFINITELY a future raver!! Love seeing how interested he is already in record manipulation. And when he was using the filter knob you saw that there was already an understanding in what sounded good. Keep him at it buddy.
Jeannine Drobney
I let my 7 & 3 year old play with my production stuff like the launchpad with ableton. They are a riot with the stuff, but always under supervision.
Valeri Millstein
Super cute kid, the semi-dancing was greatness. He seems eager to play with the decks! Too cool!
Len Lukawski
Evita Mockel
I started teaching basic scratching (I use records I don't care much about and old needles) at 2 1/2 when he became fascinated with my turntables. He's 3 now and I haven't moved much beyond that, it's more about getting him used to the gear and letting him have some fun at this point. Anyway, whenever he's interested and has the attention span to learn would be when I would start. Make sure you have ground rules and you supervisor and everything should be fine. By the way, every time I see your name I believe of my old acid techno days, it brings a smile to my face.
Ervin Calvery
Hey smitten - I started playing the cornet and trumpet at just five. I was really hard on gear sometimes, but not others. Really, the damage, for the most part, was done from dropping things. When I was seven or something, my first trumpet was not as pretty as when it was new, but I did the most damage to an instrument - a really nice one from Blechblas und Signal-instrumenten-fabrik - when I was 15 or 16. I was tired beyond description and fell asleep in the back of the orchestra, and let it slip out of my hands.
If you keep him supervised, I believe that your turntables will be alright.

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy